Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a Golf

Options
  • 04-03-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Afternoon,

Story that might be of interest to someone (or not)

Ok so did research and decided to buy a Golf (got some advice in here too).

Did the carzone, made some calls and found on in Grange Motors I wanted. It was a 2002 Golf 1.4 5 Door 52K miles on the clock and priced at 9,450K

Called them and had a quick haggle and got it down to 9K but he would budge no more.

Strolled in last Sat and basically played ignorant and said I had max 8.5K to spend and after much waiting got it for 8.5K . Also they agreed to fully service it, replace timing belt, valet and got a warranty too.

Very happy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Not a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Oshbosh

still good info regardless of the car in question

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

defo not a classic, I am not a big car person so thought someone might find this of interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bigpoppa wrote: »
    defo not a classic, I am not a big car person so thought someone might find this of interest :)
    You posted in Classic Cars, rather than Motors.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

woops so sorry jaysus can the mod move it to motors :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Good info (and deal!) nonetheless! Well done and thanks for letting us know...most of us woulda reckoned that such a main 'stealer' wouldnt budge below €8k?!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bigpoppa wrote: »
    woops so sorry jaysus can the mod move it to motors :)

Done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asking price of €9,450 for a 6 year old Golf 1.4 was crazy to begin with to be honest imo.

You did well on the inclusion of a service, new timing belt, etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

bazz26 wrote: »
    Asking price of €9,450 for a 6 year old Golf 1.4 was crazy to begin with to be honest imo.

You did well on the inclusion of a service, new timing belt, etc though.

Its not really thats the price you pay for golfs all the vw are costly sure its 8grand of a 00 beetle..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vain wrote: »
    Its not really thats the price you pay for golfs all the vw are costly sure its 8grand of a 00 beetle..

Well it's only expensive if you pay it. I never really could see the mad fasination that people have with paying silly money for VWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Vain wrote: »
    Its not really thats the price you pay for golfs

It might be what you pay, but it is overpriced in my book. Or let's call it differently: a second hand 6-8 year old Golf 1.4 is about the worst value for money car that can be had in the Irish second hand market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I dont understand why more people dont go up north or even to england to buy cars, A friend of mine was looking for a Golf GT TDI and couldnt get one under 11k for a 2002 here in the south,
    He looked on Autotrader UK and got one with every possible extra for a golf with only 85k miles for 7.5K which included flights, HPI check, VRT and getting the car to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlenibbles

Sounds like you did a great deal it was worth playing dumb nice to hear a main dealer looking after the customer for a change by preparing the car right and changing the belt ! Will be in the market soon for a car who was the sales man might go in myself and try the hardball approach you used.
    Well done nice to see the "Stealers" get done for a change:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I dont understand why more people dont go up north or even to england to buy cars, A friend of mine was looking for a Golf GT TDI and couldnt get one under 11k for a 2002 here in the south,
    He looked on Autotrader UK and got one with every possible extra for a golf with only 85k miles for 7.5K which included flights, HPI check, VRT and getting the car to Dublin

At €7,500 cleared and all for a GT-TDi Golf, I'd say your mate has bagged a dog of a thing, or it's clocked. They're not that cheap in England either.

Advertisement