Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hours

• 04-03-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Off them now 24hours. Not as bad as I had imagined but still pop into my head at certain stages during the day. Can anybody tell me how long the cravings usually last for ? days, weeks ??
    Going to the pub on Saturday and really think it will be a test as always smoked more when in the pub. Anybody experienced the same or and tips ?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

im off them a month bar 2 days when i slipped as such and that was to do with the oub, my advice is avoid if possibe, the cravings are still here for me and for a mate whos off them 2 months , so willpower is your best mate now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

is around about the time for acute cravings. After that I would estimate about 3 times a day for about 2 weeks you'll want a fag. When this happens, look at your watch - these cravings rarely last more than 15 minutes - and time the craving - remind yourself that you only have to last 15 minutes - that you wont feel this way all day. And presto, after 15 minutes or so, you wont want a fag that bad.

I would suggest you dont go to the pub this early in quitting fags meself. For me it was about 3 weeks before I ventured out.

Alchohol is the number one cause of slipping. Ciggies and alcohol go so well together, alchohol not only removes your willpower, but also takes your conscience away, so you think "Ah sure, one couldnt hurt, could it?"

As I see it there are three types of cigarette cravings

(a) Acute: (1-5 days off) The early days ones, where you'd slit your grandmothers throat, and walk over hot coals to get a a fag.

(b) Normal (5 days-2 weeks) You want a cigarette, but its nothing a little willpower cant take care off.

(c) Wistful (2 weeks - whenever) Where you see somebody smoking, and you kinda wish you could have one, cause you used to smoke, it was always there, and you almost envy the guy for having 'something' he can use to get him through the day. BUt you know that you dont really want one.

The last kind can hit you at any other time for the rest of your life. But it's kind of like meeting a former lover who abused you terribly. Sure you can see that she still has a cute ass, but then you remember what a nightmare it was to actually go out with her, and you think yourself lucky.

Advertisement