Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gt starlet turbo/glanza insurance help???

Options
  • 04-03-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

TO START OFF I AM NOT I REPEAT I AM NOT A BOY RACER OF ANY SORT I JUST LIKE MODDED CARS hello im 18 turning 19 ive no ncb and bou 5 months driving an 1.0l corsa in april i jst got a quote offf quinn direct for a gt turbo starlet for judt under 2500 but its not an import style if u get what i mean they will not quote me online for an import but whats the difference between a an irish gt turbo and a jap gt turbo and also should this quote remain for a glanza V aswell bcoz as far as i no they are the same power bhp etc any help gr8ly appreciated and also got a quote for a 2.0l hdi turbo 306 for bout 2200 is that good?:) cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Jebus, buy a full-stop!

All GT Starlets and Glanza's are Jap Imports i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

cheers man if u go onto the quinn direct site there are different styles of gt turbo.(1) 1.3 gt turbo 3dr,,,(2)1.3 gt turbo (import),,(3)1.3 gt turbo carvan,,.i dont seee any difference between the first style and second style so how can they quote me for oneand not the other,actually how can they even quote me on a turbo im only 18 ha:)any other advice?? o yea i 4got 2 mention ive ony a learners permit/proviional liscence since november 07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

quinn direct have gone sh!te lately, try ringing 123.ie.

and you would be way better off driving a slower car for at least 12 months before buying a glanza. you would have the 12 month ncb then too.

but thats just my 2 cents, if you want the car and can afford it, then go for it and be careful!

wel man its not very expensive for a gt turbo considering my experience is only 5 or 6 months and ive only a provisional liscence...i find quinn direct better 123.ie arent gr8 for turbos is there anyone that can tell me the diference between a 1.3 gt turbo starlet and a 1.3 gt turbo starlet (import) bcoz as ferris said arent all gt turbos jap?????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

what year did you put in for the starlet??

imports are more expensive to insure because they need 100ron petrol to run so engine failure happens alot, they generally come with less safety features and less security features

• Advertisement

am 1994 gt turbo valued at 3000 euro th quote was 2350 or sumfin like that but how much cud an imported version or a glanza possibly add on to it??? p.s i would be willing to put an alarm and immob on it and even go to the lenghts of putting a limiter in the car to prove im not a speed freak generally i dont wvwn overtake ive seen to much acciedents in my life would any of that lower the premiuim????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

pecker1992 wrote: »
    am 1994 gt turbo valued at 3000 euro th quote was 2350 or sumfin like that but how much cud an imported version or a glanza possibly add on to it??? p.s i would be willing to put an alarm and immob on it and even go to the lenghts of putting a limiter in the car to prove im not a speed freak generally i dont wvwn overtake ive seen to much acciedents in my life would any of that lower the premiuim????

Theres already a 180kph limiter on a Glanza mate, Try adding your mum or dad as a driver on it too, that should lower it abit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

Fair play for not being like the majority of the young Starlet GT and Glanza owners anyway. Why dont u just put a turbo in the corsa? or buy a 1.4 or something if it's not speed ur after..

KidCapree wrote: »
    Fair play for not being like the majority of the young Starlet GT and Glanza owners anyway. Why dont u just put a turbo in the corsa? or buy a 1.4 or something if it's not speed ur after..
    cheers lads am ive actually wanted a gt turbo 4 a while now im kinda sick of my corsa.. theres a wide arch body kit on it and its wicked hard 2 drive through my town in it bcoz the amount of traffic is unnatural as there is no bypass..thanks a bunch and is any 1 able 2 tell me what 100ron petrol is?????? cheers again by the way does any1 here find it strane that id even get insurance on a turbo coz any1 ive asked said 4 any1 under 21 is a pure nitemare???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

right dude, just to clear things up, there is no such car as an irish gt, they're all jap imports. thats just a glitch on the quinn website that a lot of people take advantage of by buying a 94 reg starlet (as this is the only year that you can choose to insure an irish one). as for putting an alarm and immobiliser on it, it might lower your insurance, but only very slightly if it does and as for the speed limiter, all jappos are limited to 180 anyway so i wouldnt worry bout that. also, afir play to ye for not mentioning insuring it as a non-turbo, as some little sh1t's on the road do these days making their policies void. i had a glanza turbo insured properly for the last few months and i'm 18, so it can be done. you have a pm by the way...;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Man Well Im Guessing That If I Take The Quote For The "irish Gt" I Wont Be Covered Ya??

pecker1992 wrote: »
    Thanks Man Well Im Guessing That If I Take The Quote For The "irish Gt" I Wont Be Covered Ya??

if allows you to take out the policy and once it has starlet gt and your policy number on the disc i'd imagine you're covered. its to do with quinn direct website, so i'd imagine its all legitimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Good look with the car!

Ron 100 is the combustion level or octane level of the fuel.

In Japan its 100
    In Ireland its 95, Maxol have E40 which is ron 97.

You can get octane boosters from shops, which bring it up too way above the ron 100 mark, alot of people in Jap car's don't understand this problem. I 99.9% use maxol E40 ...

cheers man i kinda understand now do u use an octane booster on your petrol???

msg11 wrote: »
    Good look with the car!

Ron 100 is the combustion level or octane level of the fuel.

In Japan its 100
    In Ireland its 95, Maxol have E40 which is ron 97.

You can get octane boosters from shops, which bring it up too way above the ron 100 mark, alot of people in Jap car's don't understand this problem. I 99.9% use maxol E40 ...

there were extensive tests done and most octane boosters were found to actually decrease the octane rating in petrol believe it or not. Pro boost is one of the better ones to use, i used it in my glanza, although it made little or no difference, it was just for piece of mind i guess.

Although lower octane petrol WILL decrease your cars performance, it wont do any damage to the engine unless its a scooby or evo your driving, which is why most have to be mapped to 95RON before they can be driven here. As for gt's/glanzas/civics/integras/levins etc, its not worth the money or hassle to get them remapped, as most have self learning ecus that will adjust their timing and ignition to suit anyway.

as p-nut says the glanza engine shouldn't detonate on our petrol i should have made that clear in my first post, but it will decrease the power, they run around 133bhp on 100ron and this drops to about 120 bhp on 95ron.

Personally I'd go for the 2.0 Hdi 306, In my opinion they look nicer and drive much better, not as powerfull but still will be a big jump from your 1.0litre but sure everyone to there own

ya cool man i jst want sumtin else rather than a honda civic or a common car were i live every 3rd car is a civic its headreckin realy is one more question if i was to get a glanza v and swap my insurance from my corsa would it cost much to change it there and then and would it raise by much by the time renewing it comes around???? lads i realy appreciate all yer advice thanks alot......

depends on how long you have left on your current policy, yes it will go up alot assuming they even offer you a quote, who are you currently with?

i am with quinn direct draffodx my current policy expires in november if isnt there a way if u get refused by 2 insurance companies then go to quinn they have to by lae insure you or sumtin like that

yeh you'll have to ask for a quote from quinn first and then go to two (it was 2 when i done it but it seems that you need 3 now) insurance companies, get written refusals off them and go back to quinn. you can go to the iif for more information.

http://www.iif.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Perhaps you should get a starlet without a turbo?
    Just kidding!
    FBD can be your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

FBD are cheap but they dont cover metropolitan ares!(cities/big towns)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

FBD cheap!?

you've got to be kidding me..
    first time insurance, 17, provisional license on a punto mk2 1.2.. 4200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

wat...... my first car a 1.4 astra at 22 was €2100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

stecleary wrote: »
    wat...... my first car a 1.4 astra at 22 was €2100

that's very expensive I reckon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cnott

try xs direct. They do cheap insurance for high performance imports. But beware, the excess (I.e.the amount of money you are liable for in the event of a claim) is around 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

After reading the OP's post I had a go at getting a quote for a gt turbo myself and sure enough it's just under €2,500 for a 19 year old on a provisional/learners permit..as long as you pick GT TURBO 3 dr as opposed to GT TURBO (import) 3dr

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but as mentioned before if all gt turbos are jap imports would buying one and insuring it as stated by the OP not mean in reality the policy, which isn't describing the car as is, being null and void-thus basically the same as insuring as turbo as a non-turbo starlet? Or is there some loop hole where "GT TURBO 3dr" doesn't state whether the car is or isn't imported so it's ok to insure the car as this..?

Just a thought...! I got quotes for non-turbo starlets/glanzas to compare and they're almost the exact same price..that can't be right can it?:rolleyes:

Advertisement