Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Sentence for Hogan

Options
  • 04-03-2008 2:51pm

A distraught family has paid tribute to an "amazing" young doctor who was murdered by her boyfriend.

Patrick "Pa" Hogan (27) was jailed for life yesterday after he admitted strangling newly-qualified doctor Karen Guinee (23) at a flat the couple shared.

Source: Irish Independent

Some of ye may remember this story from 2006. Well, he was sentenced to a life sentence yesterday.

I knew himself and his brother well from cycling. Was very shocked when I heard this story first

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

just read it in the sentinel. remember them from school alright. it's all very sad. heart goes out to both families.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think I remember this alright. Sad stuff.

What I found strange is they both seemed so gentle and kind over the years I knew 'em.

Shame to see such talent wasted on both sides- one could have been an amazing doctor, the other had been an amazing cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

At the risk of being incredibly intrusive, did it ever come out what triggered this tragedy?

Very sad, for both families.

At the risk of being incredibly intrusive, did it ever come out what triggered this tragedy?

Very sad, for both families.

Since Patrick apparently doesn't remember what happened, anything that would be said would just be rumour or hear'say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

whatever the reason was, the end result remains the same, one life taken and another destroyed and that is not going into the pain and loss of both families. horrible to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

yeh saw it on the news last night on RTE, such a shame, what a waste of a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Scary I was just thinking of this case last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP Karen.
    I've no sympathy for Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

biko wrote: »
    RIP Karen.
    I've no sympathy for Hogan.

Agreed i only read about it this morning.Blows to the head from a hammer :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Above post has been reported for moderation.

edit, post removed

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I believe both families deserve our sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Reported it myself a good hour ago biko. I presume we're talking about the same reference. Needs to be snipped. Rapid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Makes at least 3 of us.

It was a totally one-sided post, better off deleted

This thread should be locked. It serves no purpose whatsoever. The guy is serving his time for what has happened. Let the families involved have peace and lay this one to rest.

I'll report it to get a mod's decision

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It was a totally one-sided post

True. Lets get somebody from Hogan's side on here giving his reasons for doing what he did. That will even it up. How do I add rolly eyes?

04KY wrote: »
    True. Lets get somebody from Hogan's side on here giving his reasons for doing what he did. That will even it up. How do I add rolly eyes?

My point was that the person who wrote the post simply wanted to damage the Hogan name further by dragging up an old post. The poster himself said that the Hogan name was kept on the downlow, and too right. Why should the accused father's business/name suffer because of the actions of his ADULT son? The post was designed to bring up a subject which we had moved on from. Murders happen every day, and it's a total tragedy which shouldn't happen; but what makes this case special from any other?

The accused is serving his time, move on.

Seriously, can someone lock this thread? Internet whinging and rolling-of-eyes isin't going to do ANYTHING positive, and is definately not going to bring back the life of the murdered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

will ye give over this and find something better to be doing with your day, tit for tat comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lock this thread mods, its getting ridiculous

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement