Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill - Wall at end of Promenade.

Options
  • 04-03-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Am in salthill at the moment for a week and have walked the Promenade nightly.

Does anybody know why people kick / touch the wall at the end of the promenade whilst out walking???

Comments

I think people do it for good luck? I remember being told the reason years ago, but it alludes me now. Isn't there a footprint in the wall itself too
    Take time to walk the Salt Hill Promenade and take in the lovely sea views. Known locally as the "Prom", hundreds of people make it a daily regimen to get their exercise here and a tradition is to kick the wall at the Blackrock end of it. This also signifies the beginning of the return journey, as well as the end of the first half of it. So don't be too puzzled if you should see this.

Source: Galway Travel Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It basically just means you've walked the full length of the prom, as far as you can go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Tradition? Habit? I do it everytime without even thinking about it, and it drives my boyf mad! he refuses to kick the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tradition? Habit? I do it everytime without even thinking about it, and it drives my boyf mad! he refuses to kick the wall!

He's going to die in 7 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    He's going to die in 7 days

...unless you get him to walk the full length of the prom tonight, kick the wall, turn 3 full circles left and 4 right, and do the return journey singing "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" whilst actually skipping!!!

Oh, yeah, you have to send this to everyone in your contact list, too...:D

OP; can't remember what the reason is, but it's a very long standing tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fey! wrote: »
    ...unless you get him to walk the full length of the prom tonight, kick the wall, turn 3 full circles left and 4 right, and do the return journey singing "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" whilst actually skipping!!!

Oh, yeah, you have to send this to everyone in your contact list, too...:D

OP; can't remember what the reason is, but it's a very long standing tradition.

You forgot that he has to walk it backwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

and sacrifice a goat too!

Clockwise or anti clockwise for those full circles....this could have serious repercussions...ill have bad luck for the next twenty years!

Reread post for clarity...relief! he only has to sacrifice a goat..now to find a goat..and add 17more Bebo applications while im at it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

he has to do the skippy thing AND sacrifice the goat,
    jaysus, when will you people learn

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I like to think that kicking the wall commemorates the subjugation of the ocean by our mighty walled promenade.

TAKE THAT YOU BRINY BASTARD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's actually because that wall extends down to the sea and goes underground to form the foundations of the blackrock pier and the prom itself. people kick it because the stones are slightly loose and so they kick them back into place. if people stopped the wall would fall, and that would cause a domino effect causing the whole prom to collapse into the ocean (kind of like removing a keystone in an arch).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Robbo wrote: »
    TAKE THAT YOU BRINY BASTARD.
    smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

it's actually because that wall extends down to the sea and goes underground to form the foundations of the blackrock pier and the prom itself. people kick it because the stones are slightly loose and so they kick them back into place. if people stopped the wall would fall, and that would cause a domino effect causing the whole prom to collapse into the ocean (kind of like removing a keystone in an arch).
    I like this, haha... Galway Co. Council won't fix it so everyone does their bit to keep it up... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

thats like an explanation off Call My Bluff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

thats like an explanation off Call My Bluff

i had to google that. my god you're old! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im sorry but I find this absolutely diplorable behaviour!
    Kicking a wall is a serious offence, what did the wall do to you :mad:
    Im a member of the "Galweigens Against Anti - Wall'ers" and our organization is going down there on sunday to protest this carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Asbad wrote: »
    our organization is going down there on sunday to protest this carry on!

Protest all you like but I may have to kick you in the walls...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

You have to kick the wall.Thats the reason-glad I cleared that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    You have to kick the wall.Thats the reason-glad I cleared that up.

Get with the program - you n00bs are too smart sometimez...

Why do you have to have garlic cheeze chips after a feed of Carlsberg? The answer is not 'becos you do', the answer is because it feels right. This is the reason for kicking the wall - it just feels right. Oh, and you look like a tool if you don't

'cptr

Advertisement