Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt appeal

Options
  • 04-03-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi has anyone had any luck appealling VRT based on the fact the car has previously been a write off? Surely they would recognise this as affecting the OMSP?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

is it legal to import a write off with the intention of using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gillsabill

Well I didn't want to admit it but I didn't find out until after I bought it that it had been written off. An expensive lesson! It is a low category (D) write off and was repaired for roadworthiness. Apparently from what I've read since at least 10% or more of UK imports have a history of being written off! Anyway I'm keen to save whatever I can now on VRT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Damage seems to make relatively little difference to VRT assessments.

I wish anyone who takes a case to appeal the very best of luck btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I don't know if it would make any difference to the VRT bill if the car has history but to put your mind at rest a little I reakon that most uk cars that are on a CAT D are alright. A similar car in a similar crash in Ireland would have been repaired and no more said. You have as much chance buying a crashed car here as in the UK.

Also they write them off easier over there because their cars are valued at less, we value them higher because of VRT. Best of luck with the car anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Now that they're clamping down on extras that increase the value of a car, surely you would have a case for something that de-values it.

there have been posters here that have sucessfully appealed valuations and got refunds, don't remember the circumstances though.

Procedeure is to pay what they ask, then appeal it and take your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know of people that have been successful in appealing the amount of VRT charged. They did this as they believed the the OSMP quoted on the VRT was set too high. They had evidence (like ads from the paper, carzone, etc.)
    From what I have read there is no difference in the VRT for a damaged car, it is charged as if it was in good order.
    I think it would be a useful additional field in the VRT calculator though, different categories of condition, will never happen though.

It's amazing the way people in this country react to a "written off" car, a "write off" is normally an economic write off, not always linked to the perceived reduction in safety. It just means that the cost of repair is greater than the overall value of the car in good condition.
    However if you were to source all the parts 2nd hand & do the labour yourself then there is an econimic benefit to repairing the car.
    In reality nearly all cars can be brought back to life in good order. Read any classic magazines and you will see what I mean. it may not always be economically viable, but it is possible.
    That's not taking from the fact that there are always vehicles that have been poorly repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

As much as I hate VRT and all that it's about if I was to play Devils Advocate with this one would their argument not be that if the car was damaged when you bought it (or Cat D repaired) that you prob (or should have) paid less for the car in the UK to begin with and therein lies your compensation for a car worth less :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bringing in a car damaged has no effect on vrt owed however if your car is a category d, it should never again be worth the same as an undamaged one. In uk previously damaged cars make 75 -85% of retail price.Using this argument, there should be a reduction in vrt as you have to declare your car was damaged when selling it.

Advertisement