Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to censor Youtube?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

andy1249 wrote: »
    Purely sensationalist story , think about it , if every scumbag that commited a crime was dumb enough to post evidence against themselves on youtube the world would be a lot safer !

You have to doubt the validity of this story !

But it's in the news!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You have to doubt the validity of this story !
    Good man. Don't give up the day job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

think about it , if every scumbag that commited a crime was dumb enough to post evidence against themselves on youtube the world would be a lot safer !

I have to agree. We wouldn't even need a police force so it would save the tax payer a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

It would be possible to prevent posting videos to youtube until you verify your identity. You could use pps number (or international equivalent), credit card micropayments, etc. Of course the number of videos posted would plummet, so it won't happen, but is is possible if the will was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

between that and the Star, two complete crap newspapers, what level of education do their reporters have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jay D wrote: »
    between that and the Star, two complete crap newspapers, what level of education do their reporters have?
    How is that of any relevance to the story at hand?

Would you prefer it was written with big words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

davyjose wrote: »

you act almost as if youtube contributed to this, or some how caused it. It's a bit silly to call for youtube to be censored due to this, when really you should be calling for those kids to be punished for what they did,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Raspberry

I'm no software developer but would it be possible to create a program which could search for certain traits and indicators in the images and words said in the videos? It could filter these risky ones, which could then be reviewed before they were put up. It might lower the risk of something inappropriate being uploaded. If it is possible, patent pending ;):).
    This would simply not be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

heres the skynews bulletin (yes i see the irony, its posted on youtube!)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOU9kHd8Tg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

flanum wrote: »
    It's not really that ironic, it would be more ironic if the news presenter was being raped as he gave the story.

Someone searched for the vidoe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's not really that ironic, it would be more ironic if the news presenter was being raped as he gave the story.
    Even more ironic if you were getting raped while watching the news reporter getting raped while reporting on the rape video. Even more so if I was getting raped while commenting on you being raped while watching the news reporter getting raped while reporting on the rape video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Even more ironic if you were getting raped while watching the news reporter getting raped while reporting on the rape video. Even more so if I was getting raped while commenting on you being raped while watching the news reporter getting raped while reporting on the rape video.

:D

Sherifu wrote: »
    Someone searched for the vidoe :)

no, somebody searched for the story on the "V I D E O"

no, somebody searched for the story on the "V I D E O"
    Yep, sure. I believe you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Humpty_Dumpty

kaimera wrote: »
    Yes actually. Was it a party or something? How/why were the kids there to begin with?

If she wasn't drinking would she still have been drugged?

Just wondering really.

Good grief. I'm not religious, but tonight I'm going to pray that you never serve on a jury in a rape case. ;) Do you have 'she was asking for it' tattoed on your biceps?

Yep, sure. I believe you. ;)[/QUOTE
    I was implying it was "video" i was looking for not "vidoe"!

Yep, sure. I believe you. ;)

It was "video" i was looking for not "vidoe"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Youtube almost has a G-rating compared to most similar video sites.

I remember seeing a video where a guy committed suicide on video because Bjork ignored his letters or something and he was her nuber one fan. It was the most disturbing thing I have ever seen.

Btw the whole story around that seems to be dodgey and it was probably faked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So youtube gets banned because it can't police itself or what? then they share them on email, ban gmail and hotmail, ah sure just ban videos and cameras, no crime will happen then...

On that report, they changed her name. Somewhat pointless, wasn't it. I doubt theres all too many people raping and then posting said video on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Good grief. I'm not religious, but tonight I'm going to pray that you never serve on a jury in a rape case. ;) Do you have 'she was asking for it' tattoed on your biceps?

He has a point though. You have to know all the sides of the story to pass judgement. There is a lot of people being falsely accused of rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Well done that man.
    Nothing ironic about that.

ojewriej wrote: »
    He has a point though. You have to know all the sides of the story to pass judgement. There is a lot of people being falsely accused of rape.
    Well if a woman is unconscious and people are taking turns on her, then I'm fairly certain that's classed as rape.

Terry wrote: »
    Well if a woman is unconscious and people are taking turns on her, then I'm fairly certain that's classed as rape.

Probably you are right. But can you say for certain that, i don't now, they had some kind of a weird relationship and that's not a first time they had sex, maybe not even first time she was unconscious (or rather drunk or stoned, whatever) during, and she didn't mind before? I've heard weirder things.

I mean, that's just one thing that could have really happened. It most likely didn't and it was a rape, but you never know.

How do you know they had sex before?

Even if they did, sex with an unconscious woman is still rape.
    It doesn't matter if the woman is your wife. You just don't do that.

Terry wrote: »
    How do you know they had sex before?

Even if they did, sex with an unconscious woman is still rape.
    It doesn't matter if the woman is your wife. You just don't do that.

I don't know if they had sex before. How do you know they didn't?

Of course you don't do that, but when you're a horny 15 year old you don't always know what you do and what you don't do. And maybe she said to them "you guys go ahead, even if i'll pass out".

I know its sleazy and me and you wouldn't be into that scene, but things like that happen.

All I'm saying is that we don't know what really happened, the video might be just showin an end to a much longer party.

Most of your post is sensible, however the part about fifteen year olds not knowing what they are doing is complete bollox.

Fair enough, she may have seen the video and then cried rape, but it's highly doubtful.

I'll say again, sex with an unconscious woman is rape. There's not two ways about it.
    You cannot consciously consent to sex if you are unconscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

I blame camera's on mobile phones, with out that they probably wouldn't have made the video... oh and i blame broadband internet connection and it's ridiculous upload speeds, if they were on good ol' dial up they'd probably still be waiting for the thing to upload.

Oh and i blame flash videos... their ease of use has made it too easy for people to upload videos without having to go through the hassle of converting it to the appropriate format themselves.

And the internet... root of all evil i tell ya!

Advertisement