Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to censor Youtube?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Terry wrote: »
    Most of your post is sensible, however the part about fifteen year olds not knowing what they are doing is complete bollox.

Why? I think 15 is about time when you are properly learning about "the sex". I could see how some 15 year olds - especially poorly educated ones - would have their moral standards a little bit clouded when it comes to this area.
    Fair enough, she may have seen the video and then cried rape, but it's highly doubtful.

Agreed. It's possible is all i'm saying.
    I'll say again, sex with an unconscious woman is rape. There's not two ways about it.
    You cannot consciously consent to sex if you are unconscious.

It's a rape for me and you. But them two lads might have thought that it was ok because she agreed to it earlier.

Having said that, i do agree that if this video is real, most likely they knew what they were doing and they raped her, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Not sure if its been posted on boards yet,

http://heraldnet.com/article/20080303/NEWS01/367822819

Marine Corps investigates puppy-throwing video; Monroe man target of rage, threats
    The video is upsetting: A man who appears to be a U.S. Marine in Iraq holds a puppy up to the camera, throws the yelping animal off a cliff and shrugs.
    Now a Monroe man is the target of rage and death threats after the video appeared on YouTube and started drawing worldwide attention Monday. Comments left at YouTube claim he is the Marine in the video.

I think its still on you-tube and I urge everyone Not to watch it!.

Im against censorship, but when this kind of stuff gets posted :mad:
    Perhaps it is time they bring in an approval system run by moderators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wonder would they be as outraged if he had shot a few Iraqi women and kids.

Off topic

There was a suicide bombing at a dog-fight in Afghanistan about two weeks ago that killed eighty people. The next day, some nutjob wrote into the Indo basically saying that the victims deserved to die because they were at a dog-fight. Now I'm a big dog person myself but a bit of perspective please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Asbad wrote: »
    Not sure if its been posted on boards yet,

http://heraldnet.com/article/20080303/NEWS01/367822819

Marine Corps investigates puppy-throwing video; Monroe man target of rage, threats

I think its still on you-tube and I urge everyone Not to watch it!.

Im against censorship, but when this kind of stuff gets posted :mad:
    Perhaps it is time they bring in an approval system run by moderators.

I genuinely would be glad knowing that man gets thrown off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

YouTube should start recruiting Volunteers with a reputation checks on them to start monitoring Videos before it's viewable by the public. They should have a duty to report these sort of videos as compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Its sensationalist. A few bad videos out of thousands/millions doesn't warrent all out censordhip.

BTW all the people suggesting that in some way this woman contributed to her rape need a reality check. It's akin to saying "well she was weraing a short skirt, and flirting with me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ojewriej wrote: »
    Why? I think 15 is about time when you are properly learning about "the sex". I could see how some 15 year olds - especially poorly educated ones - would have their moral standards a little bit clouded when it comes to this area.
    No. I don't buy that for one mnute.
    When you are 15, you know that rape is wrong, no matter who you are or how you were brought up.
    I'll make an exception for kids lost in the wilderness and brought up by bears and wolves, but anyone brought up in England does not have any leeway.

Agreed. It's possible is all i'm saying.
    Definitely possible, but I'm still adamant that having sex with an unconscious woman is rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What kind of moron puts evidence of them raping someone, onto the interweb.......? :confused: You destroy the evidence, you don't publish it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The kind that should be removed from the gene pool. Darwin award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Good grief. I'm not religious, but tonight I'm going to pray that you never serve on a jury in a rape case. ;) Do you have 'she was asking for it' tattoed on your biceps?
    Just think there prolly might be more to it than is being reported is all.

Perhaps it's just the cynic in me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Any further rick roll videos will be deleted and the person posting them will be banned.
    If you link to something that is not what you claim it to be, also expect a lenghty ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

No. I don't buy that for one mnute.
    When you are 15, you know that rape is wrong, no matter who you are or how you were brought up.
    I'll make an exception for kids lost in the wilderness and brought up by bears and wolves, but anyone brought up in England does not have any leeway.

I agree to that - they should know that the rape is wrong. Maybe they just didn't see it as a rape, that's the difference. I worked with a "troubled" children for a little while, and you'd be surprised how differently they can see the world.
    Definitely possible, but I'm still adamant that having sex with an unconscious woman is rape.

I never said it's not, so we agree on that.

As I said before, things are not always what they seem, even when you think you can see it on video.

Yes, most likely they are little scumbags who raped unconciouss woman, and they should be punished for that, but it's dangerous to jump to conclussions knowing just one side of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

Youtube isn't the problem here. It's when people choose to watch it. With or without youtube, that video would have found some way to be circulated around the net. Youtube has millions of videos, uploaded by millions of users. Every so often, ther'es going to be a bad egg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With the amount of videos uploaded to youtube that would be next to impossible. They have a good system where users flag videos for attention. It's not perfect but it is still pretty good. If people use it then these videos will get taken down a lot quicker.

By the way, I remember when google bought youtube that it was losing money, is this still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PoshParrot

Censor???????? These things happen. Here we have people who will not accept responsibility for any actions, instead they call out to their betters for advice/enforcement. Grow up.

No wonder we have a nanny state, soon to be a totalitarian state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Reanimate Mary Whitehouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Sorry, off topic but what is a rick roll video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Jigsaw wrote: »

Ban for entrapment?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's a link to a site that hi-jacks your browser, plays a video and moves the browser around the screen making it impossible to close it (well, alt f4 still closes it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Where someone posts a youtube link claiming to be a link of interest, but it infact links to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wreck wrote: »
    Ban for entrapment?
    Where someone posts a youtube link claiming to be a link of interest, but it infact links to this
    Careful now. :)

It's an exercise in time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's wrong on so many levels.

Advertisement