Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband: Do I need to run the Netgear CD?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all

Just got eircom broadband installed yesterday!

Their booklet states that you run the netopia (i think?) installation CD before connecting the ethernet cable, etc, etc.

So I did the opposite and cabled everthing up without running the CD and sure enough I had internet access! :)

I'm just wondering what would running the CD on my desktop do for me?
    Extra protection??
    Restrict bandwidth to my subscribed 2Mb??
    Or is it more for wireless communication??

Am I better off to run it basically?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

No you don't need it at all. As far as I remember it just had a load of unwanted programs and links to eircom's website. It also lets you find out your WEP code if you're using wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Running the CD really only makes things more idiot proof.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

-annex- wrote: »
    No you don't need it at all. As far as I remember it just had a load of unwanted programs and links to eircom's website. It also lets you find out your WEP code if you're using wireless.

If yiu are using wireless with Eircom access the router http://192.168.1.254 find the appropriate menu and turn you security over to wpa much much more secure and much easier to use. If you are not using wireless - which is turned on by default access the router as above and turn off the wireless until such time as you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Thanks guys......very useful info!!!

Cheers!

Advertisement