Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those who cycle to work

Options
  • 04-03-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

What is your average commute distance if you cycle in to work? ... just curious :)

Comments

4.809 kilometres for each part of the journey according to dto.ie.

I checked earlier on since I wanted to know the distance I cycled per week, since I saw Gormley giving out about how Irish people cycle only an average of 4km per week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

19 km (each way) ...twice to 3 times per week ..."park and ride" so to speak.

30 km (each way ) ...twice per week, when I leave from home. Still building towards this one at the moment ...need the morning and evening daylight to stretch a bit more :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

8 miles (12.9km) each way according to google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

At the moment, I am doing 50k return from Stepaside to Blanchardstown ... I am just wondering how long I am going to be able to keep up with it after last night snow + almost got hit by a bus + a SUV...
    I might get fed up before the race season starts again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm doing a tad over 9k to the train daily, from there it's Mullingar to Dun Laoghaire which I don't think I could do on the bike daily :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

5.1km each way. Once the light gets a bit better I can leave work later (let the traffic die down) and go home via Enniskerry or something like that, to stretch the cycle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Stepaside to Blanchardstown is a fair distance. The weather will only be getting better though.

I'm 6.5km from Ranelagh to Sandyford, sometimes take the long route but I have the choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

8.35 miles according to my speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

12.08km for me. used to wish it was shorter. now i wish it was longer.
    Myth wrote: »
    4.809 kilometres

any chance you could be a bit more precise?
    At the moment, I am doing 50k return from Stepaside to Blanchardstown ...

that's quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm doing a tad over 9k to the train daily, from there it's Mullingar to Dun Laoghaire which I don't think I could do on the bike daily :)

worst commute ever. Ugh. Smelly train journey. I don't envy you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

7km each way to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RJGMovie

I have 2 bikes on the go -
    One from home to local train station (about 3km)
    then my second bike from Heuston station to my office (about 6km).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Damn I'm lucky, only 2k to work. No shower there though, so I gotta take it ham n cheesy.

Coming home is only about 5 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

12 k each way. Love every minute of it, but just back on the bike (a new one) today a week after some guy "did'nt see me" until my bike was under his wheels and I was on his windscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RJGMovie

Studoc wrote: »
    12 k each way. Love every minute of it, but just back on the bike (a new one) today a week after some guy "did'nt see me" until my bike was under his wheels and I was on his windscreen!
    How did it happen. Was he turning left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

RJGMovie wrote: »
    How did it happen. Was he turning left?

He turned right across a main road. I think he was on the phone but can't be sure since I was well lit up. Car smacked into my front wheel, I went up on his bonnet, smashed his windscreen, landed on the road, bike went under the wheels of the car. Anyway, long story short, only bad bruising, he turned out to be an decent guy, paid for a new bike and helmet. Might have taken it further if he had'nt admitted responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sh1t! sounds like you had a lucky escape. Glad you came out the other side in one piece...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

5k each way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

4k each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

7k each way, and over twice as fast as driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

5.5 miles each way a nice trip except for state of the bike lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

23.15 in total according to gmaps pedometer.

These days work has me going round town. So it's slightly less miles altogether than the normal commute, but I get to take a spin every hour or so. When I'm not on the bike these days I'm walking to or from somewhere. So it's miles and miles of walking/cycling altogether every day. No sitting on a bus or even sitting at a desk. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

10.35k each way, and if the weather aint bad ill make it 15-16k on the way home. 3 times faster than bussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

4k each way, bussing or walking would take 3 times longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Why not add the times as well

I'm really curious to know how long the 30km each way or 50 km round trip take and what sort of traffic conditions. It must add up to a fair bit of time between cycling, a shower , and probably an extra bite to eat when you get there!

No Park n Ride where I come from so it would be a 30 km each way trip for me as well. Unfortunately, I haven't built up to those sort of distances yet:eek:, but am considering for once or twice a week in Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

7.5k each way to college, usually throw in a trip to the gf of 15k each way every week too. Want to get a roadie for commuting so i can enjoy the college trip more. The mountain bike just doesn't compare to it, but I wouldn't risk taking the fancy bike into college. Love the cycle to the gf's cos it's always when the roads are quiet and there's feck all turns, just lots of straight road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

15kms each way.

rubadub wrote: »
    7k each way, and over twice as fast as driving.
    Same here, It's actually faster to cycle from Stepaside to Blancharsdtown than Driving ( at rush hour ). And I have Ian Dempsey in my ears too ( Just 1 ear phone actually )

DurtyMurty wrote: »
    Why not add the times as well

I'm really curious to know how long the 30km each way or 50 km round trip take and what sort of traffic conditions. It must add up to a fair bit of time between cycling, a shower , and probably an extra bite to eat when you get there!

I get up at 6.30, get ready go at 6.45/6.55, cycling through town, park, get into work, have a shower, get dressed, a bit of make up ( I am a girl ... ) and I am at my desk ready to work for 8.30 with a bowl of porridge.
    On the way back, same think the other way around. leave at 5.30 get home around 6.45pm.

And you can have a nice meal because you have exercised all day :)

Very Do-able!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Used to be 11km each way but now my trip to work is only 3km each way. Takes about 12-15 minutes because of all the traffic lights. The 11km journey only used to take 25 minutes (depending on wind) as there were a lot less lights.

I enjoy it but I dont break a sweat any more which is a pity. Also it disapoints me to see all the cyclists who wont stop at green pedestrain lights to let an old woman or a kid cross. Just yesterday this guy went so fast through a group of crossing pedestrians I thought he was going to hit a little girl. I can only hope Karma will see to them.

Advertisement