Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those who cycle to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Just 5.1 kms, but its UPHILL!! :)

I leave the house at about 7.45, get to work at 8- have a shower and dry hair and a bit of makeup (I'm a girl too!) and at my desk at 8.30 with a bowl of porridge. Although I haven't earned it quite as much as you Caroline_ie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

kmick wrote: »
    I enjoy it but I dont break a sweat any more which is a pity. Also it disapoints me to see all the cyclists who wont stop at green pedestrain lights to let an old woman or a kid cross. .
    I am sure the majority of 'serious' road cyclists stop at lights ... I know I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

My 9k takes me about 20 minutes, less in good conditions, more in the wind. I'm normaly against the prevailing winds in the morning though.
    I get up 6.40, quick shower, wet gear, on the road by 7.01, reach Mullingar station at 7.20(ish).
    uberwolf wrote:
    worst commute ever. Ugh. Smelly train journey. I don't envy you.
    It's not too bad, I get one of the new intercity trains and you'll always get a seat in Mullingar. Dart from Connolly empties out by Grand Canal Dock. For the way home I get the Bray to Maynooth which is empty when I get on it in Dun Laoghaire, so again a seat. Swap trains in Maynooth onto the Longford train which free up a bit bit by then so I'll get a seat by Kilcock normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was doing 20km each way from Clonee to Airside in Swords last year but each week I was fearing more and more for my life on the roads between Blanchardstown and the back of the airport and have stopped now.

It takes nearly the same time to go by bike then car depending on the wind which was about 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

9 miles (~14.5km) from Carpenterstown to East Point Business Park. Downhill on way in (~35mins) and uphill on return (~40mins). Can take longer depending on traffic lights.
    The morning stretch on the Navan Road is nice with a good cycle lane with a bus lane to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

11.2km each way takes 27-29 minutes (I am over 40 you know!). Slightly easier on the way home. Can't complain about the cycle lanes, they're actually good and new and all on the road (as disctinct from the paths) apart from those that are hidden from the road by a nice big wall. Would take about 20 minutes to drive but that includes some motorway (and does add 4km each way).

As for stopping at traffic lights I always do so and it bugs me to see others that don't. It's why people come on here moaning about cyclists, people!

Funny, I saw a guy break a light yesterday and get caught by a guard on a mountain bike..I was stopped at the light chatting to the guard (I happened to know him) and your man passed us..good observation mate!! Got a good laugh at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

14km Caprpenters town to City Centre (Southside) 27 min (depending on traffic / clipes) all downhill in and uphill more or less home so takes 35 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Funny, I saw a guy break a light yesterday and get caught by a guard on a mountain bike..I was stopped at the light chatting to the guard (I happened to know him) and your man passed us..good observation mate!! Got a good laugh at that.
    Actually saw a guy on George's street who'd obviously been caught breaking the lights by a motorcycle Garda and was getting a good talking to. The only reason I know he'd been breaking the lights was cos I passed some drunken bum and he was shouting something at me and pointing down the road, but all I heard was "lights".

That was interesting because it's so rare to see anyone being stopped, even when the Gardai are standing right there looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

7.5K each way for me, 26 in and 30 home(uphill)
    May soon be 18.5 each way if i move. (not looking forward to the first morning of that!!)

i was stopped at the lights and was nudging my way forward when a guard came up to me and started spouting a load of blah blah blah!
    He then says to me "You will get points on your licence, HOW ABOUT THAT"
    I just laughed at him, complete tit!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

8.9k each way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I only normally do 3.2km to work and I take a very long way home so I do 13.2 on the way home. So 16.4 total daily :)

Its alot more then I thought, shame I'm moving soon ans won't be able to cycle to work anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

a short sprint of 4.8 km according to dto.ie

niceonetom wrote: »
    any chance you could be a bit more precise?

:p

From seeing the times people are mentioning I'm getting a little worried - my 4.8km journey takes (give or take) 22 minutes each day. I do go through an annoying amount lot of traffic lights though (and I stop at them).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Myth wrote: »
    :p

From seeing the times people are mentioning I'm getting a little worried - my 4.8km journey takes (give or take) 22 minutes each day. I do go through an annoying amount lot of traffic lights though (and I stop at them).
    Some of us are probably quoting cycle time as opposed to trip time. My actual trip time this morning was close to 37 minutes but the cycle time was just under 30. Every bloody light was red. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

1km to train station + 30 minutes on train + 8km to work. Takes me about 20 minutes for the 8km, but that's on a fold up that doesn't go very fast. Hopefully now that I have the Dahon Smooth Hound I should be able to go a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I do about 5km each way, stopping at most of the lights and swearing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RJGMovie

Would only break lights if there was no traffic or pedestrians going in the opposing direction. Would be silly to break lights if a Guard was present!
    However, in some situations it is SAFER to break the lights as you are in the blind spot of traffic already stopped at them.

Cycle lane on Kevin street (just past the junction with Patrick St) has a dangerous pot hole on it. Beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

My commute is about 5km/25 minutes each way. If I don't have an early meeting, I add 3-4k to the morning run to help keep my weight down. I couldn't face adding extra time in the evening - just wanna get home to the family asap.

I thought I was the only cyclist in Dublin who generally obeys traffic lights. I confess to occasional breaking of lights at pedestrian crossings, if there is no pedestrian around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Agree with the breaking lights issue, and I think it deserver a special thread.
    In many cases it is deffinitely safer to break the lights seconds ahead of the cars, if there are no pedestrians-cars around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

5.5km each way for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Well done Caroline thats great training. Glad ur ok Studo. I get 18K each way . Leixlip to Glasnevin. Can't wait until 2021 when Minister Gormley opens the new cycle path along the Royal Canal towpath. This will take 1000's of commuters and cycle tourist off our busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

gzoladz wrote: »
    In many cases it is deffinitely safer to break the lights seconds ahead of the cars, if there are no pedestrians-cars around.
    Thats more like bending rather than breaking them really. If it's a route you do all the time you know the lights so can anticipate them and get yourself moving and up to speed before the cars come and squish you. Of course you must also look out for people coming from other directions who are REALLY breaking them by running red after it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Sean02 wrote: »
    Well done Caroline thats great training. Glad ur ok Studo. I get 18K each way . Leixlip to Glasnevin. Can't wait until 2021 when Minister Gormley opens the new cycle path along the Royal Canal towpath. This will take 1000's of commuters and cycle tourist off our busy roads.

* Cheers :)

I have a great dream that would be to cycle down the M50 when the roads are all nice and smooth again .... Do you think our friend Minister Gormley can arrange that too? we just need to ban the cars for an hours ... hum hum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Sean02 wrote: »
    Can't wait until 2021 when Minister Gormley opens the new cycle path along the Royal Canal towpath. This will take 1000's of commuters and cycle tourist off our busy roads.
    I used to cycle the Royal Canal towpath between Phibsborough and Ashtown (it becomes muck west of there). While they are nice, quiet and traffic free, crossing the road at Ratoath Road was a pain if the level crossing was open. No one would slow/stop to let you cross and the road is a blind bend.

I use the road now because it quicker - Waterways Ireland installed annoying swing gates on the Ratoath Road to Ashtown stretch. And put loose material on the surface. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

I noticed to-day that the section after the M50 aquaduct has been ploughed up , hopefully its preparing for tarmacadam. Kissing gates are a minor inconvienence compared to the hassle of yobs on motorbikes. Over the next few week the ground should dry up enough to make the more comfortable along the towpath. well worth a trip but beware of the very dangereous stretch at the deep cutting between Coolmine and Porterstown bridges. My advice is walk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

24 km each way, but I only do it twice a week.
    20 km beside the med, 4 km in the foothills of the alps. Takes 65-90 mins depending on wind and how enegetic you feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

about 8km from smithfield to ucd. takes in or around 30 mins, depending on traffic lights, weather, and my "mental" state.

i stop at lights, if only for the opportunity to repeatedly overtake the same cars. i'm a small man in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DurtyMurty wrote: »
    Why not add the times as well

I'm really curious to know how long the 30km each way or 50 km round trip take and what sort of traffic conditions. It must add up to a fair bit of time between cycling, a shower , and probably an extra bite to eat when you get there!

You have to factor in other things too. I take 20-25mins in, 5mins extra to allow locking my bike and getting it from the shed. So I close my front door at 8.30am and am sitting at my desk at 9am. I always ask people this. Some will say "oh I live in XYZ, but the train is only 50mins. So I ask if they leave at 8.10 so? - oh jesus no!, I have to get a lift, walk to the bus stop, walk to the station, wait, get train, etc etc. Question is "when do you close your door". The luas will be around my area when finished when it is built and people in work ask if I will now get it. The walk to the luas will take almost as long as my 20min cycle in. Then wait, then luas-10min, then another 10-15min walk- probably an extra 20-30min on my commute, yet some would say the luas takes 10min.

Another thing is exercise!, I know a lad who will sit in the car fuming and stressed out with traffic, the car trip[ takes around twice as long as cycling would for him (as it does me). Then later on he will drive for 20-30mins to a gym, pay over the odds for membership etc, drive back. Wasted hours of possible free time! and a rake of cash on car, petrol, insurance, gym fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

22.5 Kilometers each way. 45 round trip if I take my long route. My short route is about 20k, but I often dance with semi-trucks if I go that way. I get in about 200k a week that way.

I ride every day. Since August, I've driven my car to work about half a dozen times.

Lately I've been riding one of my fixed gear bikes most days. If it's raining hard, I use my Surly Crosscheck.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's in California, from Davis to West Sacramento.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Black: That by the sea?

Advertisement