Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favre retires!

• 04-03-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭

All done! :(

The Aaron Rodgers era begins. I hope he's half as good, and a quarter as durable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I am not too surprised I think he realised that the Packers were not going to win the superbowl next year and would do very well to repeat the perfromance of this year. He went out on a high after a great last season. Strahan should retire too. Interesting to see how rodgers does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

its a sad, sad day for the world of NFL.

he will be sorely missed from the pitch and forever remembered as one of the greats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Glad I got to see him play before he hung them up. Was also one of the few to see him make a Lambeau leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

NO way:(

I'm going over the States next winter for two weeks and was waiting for the schedule to come out.

Was going to book it while the Bears Packers game was on in Chicago:(

Can't believe I won't see him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Absolute legend. He will be missed. Time for Rogers to step up to the plate now. I went and bought a Favre jersey online the minute i found out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Sad day. Absolutle legend, hopefully he has a good life in retirement.
    I fear for Packers now, just dreading a Miami Dolphins effect where you try and try to replace your legendry QB.
    Time for Rodgers to make his mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A sad, sad day for the NFL and it's fans. Favre is an absolute legend. Ever since I got into the game around 1994/95 he's been there playing superbly every season. Going to be really weird without the number 4 gracing Lambeau next season.

Thanks for the memories Brett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

pity to see him retire, and to be honest, its a pity his last ever play was an INT to see the Giants into the playoffs. I would have preferred if he finished differently, but sure, he is a legend anyway and hopefully wont be remembered too much for that, and more on his character and his multitude of records. Legend of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Well done Brett, you are a true sporting Legend. I knew who Brett Favre was at a time when I only knew even the name of maybe 2 or 3 players.

Good luck to you, and good luck to the Packers next season, who I'll have fears for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Rodgers played very well this year against the Cowboys so there is hope to take from that

I'm going over the States in a week and a bit now.
    I should still be able to get a Favre jersey shouldn't I?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Considering that the Elway #7 jersey is still one of the more popluar jerseys over there, I reckon you won't have too many problems getting a Farve one, assuming they use their head and ramp up production of them, there's obviously going to be a rush for them!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

hanton12 wrote: »
    to be honest, its a pity his last ever play was an INT to see the Giants into the playoffs.

Why? he did set the NFL record for INTs:D Ah no, he was good to watch. I'm more in Dr Z's corner (he has an interesting piece on cnnsi.com), he was great but people let him away for too much particularly in 2005 and 2006 seasons. For that reason last season was a great way for him to go out overall.

Legend. An absolute legend. Surely can claim to have had the biggest impact on the revival of the Packers after the 80s slump.

I thought he signed up for 10 years in 2001. Does he just forego the remainder of his contract?

Wonder will he continue to be involved at Lambeau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Players can retire at any stage. He would have received a large percentage of the 10-year money up front and then the rest over the period of the contract. The Packers could probably get back some of the signing bonus but somehow i don't think they will pursue it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Living here in Wisconsin and listening to the reports it sounds like it wasnt Bretts decision more like a falling out that forced his hand. The only words he left as an interview so far was a phone message to one of the big ESPN reporters forget the dudes name and he said "Im mentally tired but my body feels fine" and that was it so it will be interesting to see what the man himself says in his actual interview when he speaks. Wisconsin right now is in mourning very eerie you would think someone died. I guess we will never know though was it really his decision or not.

His agent saying the Packers weren't jumping up and down trying to get him to stay.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/16214242.html

I really hope there was no sourness to his departure. I'm surprised they weren't pulling up trees to get him to stay and hope they don't regret it. Having said that, I have a lot of faith in McCarthy and if he reckons its time for Rodgers to step up to the mark and he has the abillity to do so, I'm happy to trust that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Smashing player, and a hell of a 5 'o clock shadow (Charlie gazes up wondering why he cant grow such manly stuble)

However, the comments that Farve says he is physically fit but mentally burnt, coupled with the fact that he has already said he was willing to play another season, I wouldn't be overly surprised if we haven't seen the last of Brett Farve on an NFL field. This section of Sports Illustrated seems to hint the same thing.

However, if we have, the Packers board should wise up and send him off properly. The way it seems like he was shoved out the door and not given the respect he deserves is bad bad business on their part.

However, the comments that Farve says he is physically fit but mentally burnt, coupled with the fact that he has already said he was willing to play another season, I wouldn't be overly surprised if we haven't seen the last of Brett Farve on an NFL field.

If you were referring to my comment I wasnt saying thats what I think that is the only words he said to any reporter in a phone message before his interview tomorrow at 11am Wisconsin time. We all know Brett has another season in him that is why his voicemail came as a surprise to all in WI.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

If Favre had retired 3 years ago when some people said he should of, he would still made it to the wall of fame then.
    Its good to see that he finished his career on a high.
    (well apart from his last game maybe!) :)

• Advertisement

Farve retirement press conference on Fox News, Sky ch. 510 on NOW!

He's taking it bad, hard to watch really.

Yeah its on nfl.com live too... I almost shed a tear myself!

Seems to be saying that he's just burnt out, that he could play on and certainly sling it on a Sunday, but isn't mentally up to the challenge of everything else that goes with playing on an NFL team.

Says he's not sure if this is a decision he will live to regret.

Taking questions now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

A true legend. Very sad to see hm go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sad but inevitable. All good things must come to an end.

He's gone down in my estimation after that blub fest. Pull yourself together man, its not like someone died your just retiring to live on your vast estate and to spend your millions of dollars.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Good RIDDANCE !!!

Signed,

A Chicago Bears fan

He's gone down in my estimation after that blub fest. Pull yourself together man, its not like someone died your just retiring to live on your vast estate and to spend your millions of dollars.

And you wouldn't be in the slightest bit emotional after retiring from your career? You've just gone down in my estimation after that ridiculous quote!

It was never about the money with Favre so I don't see how that comes into the equation!
    Good RIDDANCE !!!

Signed,

A Chicago Bears fan

Meh... i'm a Vikings fan, we've just a big a rivalry with the Packers as the Bears and even I am a little sad to see him go. He was one of the greatest characters to ever play the game. I spent an hour watching his press conference yesterday evening and even I was hoping he would change his mind!

Great quarterback, great character.... great career.

Vikings wrote: »
    And you wouldn't be in the slightest bit emotional after retiring from your career? You've just gone down in my estimation after that ridiculous quote!
    You've just gone down in my estimation after not agreeing with me. I might be emotional when I retire because my job is **** and I hate it. However I won't cry like a four year old girl who's just skinned her knee. Man-up Favre, [alf Stewart accent]stop acting like some Flamin' Sheila. [/alf Stewart accent]

• Advertisement

You've just gone down in my estimation after not agreeing with me. I might be emotional when I retire because my job is **** and I hate it. However I won't cry like a four year old girl who's just skinned her knee. Man-up Favre, [alf Stewart accent]stop acting like some Flamin' Sheila. [/alf Stewart accent]

The guy played 17 years with the Packers and loves football. He was a great football player, great QB and a legend to everyone who played with him. Football was his life and he loved the game and enjoyed playing it. Check out his out takes when he is on the field having a laugh with other players just enjoying it.

Now take away the job you loved for 17 years and now you are doing nothing every Sunday while watching other guys do it. The man has every right to shed a tear.

Oh and another thing if you knew what Brett Favre meant to Wisconsin and Green Bay you would slightly understand well maybe not. I witnessed grown men cry everywhere yesterday as if someone died. End if a Lengendary Era for Brett Favre and the Packers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jesus lads, don't take the bait - this guy is trolling.

This is the guy who went on to throw 400 yards and 4 TD's the day after his Dad died. There is no quantifying the toughness this guy possesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Best of luck to him after 17 years he's earned a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Good decision in my opinion.

Yes there is another season in him but.. after the 2007 season where everything panned out perfectly ie NFC Championship game at home vs NYG and coming up short, that must have hurt.

To be mentally able to start again after achieving the records he achieved and grind out the black and blue games required was obviously a step too far.

As I see it the Packers would have been glad if he stayed on,but probably relieved that the bullet was bitten, and he didn't,
    and the inevitable came to pass.

So my sentiments are ,a legend has retired, the future is bright as the nucleus of the Packers is young and able .

the King is dead,long live the King.

Advertisement