Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD - Addon

• 04-03-2008 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

GAME are selling the HD addon drive for €70 :)

this should probably be in bargain alerts as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Its only $49.95 in america were always being ripped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

baz909 wrote: »

Not bad. I've picked up a one of the ibood hd-dvd players and looking at whats out there now its still an amazing deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 -Cerberus-

Is the HD DVD addon drive as loud as the 360 itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

No, its almost silent. Stopped using the xbox to watch DVDs because of the takeoff noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I would wait for another 2 months or so, and you'll be able to pick these up for next to nothing (given the recent developments in the HD/BR war).

There's no real longevity in these anyhow, given that Warner will cease publishing HD/DVD's by next Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I would wait for another 2 months or so, and you'll be able to pick these up for next to nothing (given the recent developments in the HD/BR war).

There's no real longevity in these anyhow, given that Warner will cease publishing HD/DVD's by next Spring.

Going to go against the general thinking here but surely if these are selling for 50-70 euros theres going to be a huge uptake in people buying them and just "might" give hd-dvd a boost despite the "HD-DVD" is way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Going to go against the general thinking here but surely if these are selling for 50-70 euros theres going to be a huge uptake in people buying them and just "might" give hd-dvd a boost despite the "HD-DVD" is way of thinking.

NO, because there only selling what they have left for cheap, there not making any more, so once all the hd dvd drives are sold, that'll be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

no more hd dvd drives or movies are being made get it cheap now if you want but all you can buy is the stuff out now when stock of both is gone won't be any more coming

but series that were released on hd dvd will mostly continue to be released
    at least eg. if you got box set 3 set 4 will be out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Varik wrote: »
    but series that were released on hd dvd will mostly continue to be released
    at least eg. if you got box set 3 set 4 will be out

I don't think so. From what i've read HD-DVD support is going to be dropped before June by all studios.
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Industry_Trends/Universal_Ends_HD_DVD_Support_with_Atonement/1527
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/DreamWorks/Paramount/Industry_Trends/Paramount_Cancels_Majority_of_HD_DVD_Slate_(UPDATED)/1522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

-Cerberus- wrote: »
    Is the HD DVD addon drive as loud as the 360 itself?
    writetojd wrote: »
    No, its almost silent. Stopped using the xbox to watch DVDs because of the takeoff noise.

Um....but don't you need to have the 360 powered up to use the HD add-on?
    If so (and I presume so), the only noise you loose is the DVD drive in the 360...you're still stuck with the fans and what not from the 360...

Side note, I was in a Harvey Norman store earlier, asked how much the add-on on display was ; €130 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mgsrocks wrote: »
    NO, because there only selling what they have left for cheap, there not making any more, so once all the hd dvd drives are sold, that'll be it.

Apologies---didnt realise they werent making them after they sold old stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Hehe regardless
    I still wouldnt touch a HD Add-on with a barge pole unless it was free with all the HD Dvds possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Game-Stop is selling them 2nd Hand for 59.99€, Smyths is selling for 99€ and for the best bargain HMV is selling them for a low-low price of 179.95€

baz909 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Game-Stop is selling them 2nd Hand for 59.99€, Smyths is selling for 99€ and for the best bargain HMV is selling them for a low-low price of 179.95€

ha ha i seen that, they are also selling world cup 2006 for the low low price of 74.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Don't know why people are going for these even though there cheap. HD DVD is gone so why waste money on buying the player and a couple of HD DVD's, eventually I will get a PS3 and the HD DVD's that I want now will be re-released on Blu-ray with possibly, extra features.

I'm just gonna wait for the PS3 to drop in price, then I'll snap one up. Whenever that will be, no rush.

Update:

I just bought one of the last 4 ones from Game iLac, it was marked 69.99€ but scanned as 59.99€ so happy days.

I'm just waiting for Game-Stop to start it final price drop and "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" offer.

And it answer "rizzla" say I'm buying it, I own 3 MegaDrives, 4 SNES and a Jaguar and about 60 other version of PC's and Consoles.

ha ha i seen that, they are also selling world cup 2006 for the low low price of 74.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Does anybody know if the 360 HD drive Can play Xbox360 games ? or is it tied to HD movies only ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

tallus wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the 360 HD drive Can play Xbox360 games ? or is it tied to HD movies only ?

Only movies i think and anyway, what would be the point??? I believe the 360 itself CAN indeed read 360 games????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It can't if the internal drive is knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Only movies i think and anyway, what would be the point??? I believe the 360 itself CAN indeed read 360 games????

I believe the point (if it were possible) is that the HD-DVD drive is about a million times quieter than the internal drive.

• Advertisement

I fracking hope so, My system is the new core but the drive is still noise as hell....
    I believe the point (if it were possible) is that the HD-DVD drive is about a million times quieter than the internal drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Fair enough, Less noise would be nice alright!!.I'm fairly sure it cant be done though

Advertisement