Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Barking

Options
  • 04-03-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I have a two year old terrier and have moved into apartment accommodation. I'm technically not supposed to have a dog in the apartment and she has begun to bark quite a bit (when i return home she gets excited) and im a little worried about getting caught.

Does anyone know if i can get a shock coller to teach her to be quiet or should i do something more drastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Does anyone know if i can get a shock coller to teach her to be quiet or should i do something more drastic.

More drastic than a shock collar...wtf???Theyre bad enough!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Is there like a dog training place that could help with this.
    Would Dog Neutering help her?

Or should i get her company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

shock collars are the best thing going.Theres posts about them on this forums somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The shock collars may work for a whil, but if you do not address the reasons why the dog is barking they will not continue to work, the dog will become desensitised to it. Also the shock collars imho are horrible things, you should try it out on yourself before you put it on the dog.

Getting her spayed would be a very good idea for the sake of her health, but it is unlikely to have any affect on her levels of barking. Getting her a friend would be nice for her, but again may not help the barking, you may just end up with 2 dogs barking.

Terriers are not great in an apartment situation if you are not supposed to have a dog as they are by nature a barky type of dog. Dog trainer, dog walker and other boredom relief methods may help. A dog trainer can teach you to teach the dog to speak on command and therefore you can teach her to be quiet on command too. A dog walker will help to break up the day and relieve some boredom. I wouldn't get her a friend untill you deal with any problems you have with her as dogs will always copy each other, good and bad habits.

Hope you can work this out without using any shock collar. You wouldn't be allowed put it on a kid, you shouldn't be allowed put one on a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Neutering can make a huge difference Jimmy, also, try ignoring the dog when he barks, only praising it when he quietens down. When he barks again, stand up and look away with your arms crossed, again, praising and greeting when he calms down.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Start looking for somewhere else to live.NOW.Somewhere suitable for your dog too this time!You'll be evicted anyway as soon as the inevitable antidog neighbour cops on.In the meantime how about your music system set on a timer to start up (loud)5 minutes before you get home.If it's hearing you coming that sets the dog off the music might prevent the dog hearing you and if it's one of those psychic dogs that 'feels' you coming the music might cover the noise of the barking!I'd recommend classical music though,love it or hate it people are less inclined to complain about it than AC/DC or Def Leppard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Woah what is your definition of drastic then?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fi500

I have a two year old terrier and have moved into apartment accommodation. I'm technically not supposed to have a dog in the apartment and she has begun to bark quite a bit (when i return home she gets excited) and im a little worried about getting caught.

DON'T USE A SHOCK COLLER!!! The dog is displaying natural behaviours, no need to punish her for this. Instead show her what behaviour you find acceptable.

Start off by pretending to go out but wait outside the door and return after a few minutes. Do not make a fuss of her when leaving or coming back into the flat. If she barks leave the room again. Only re-enter when she is quiet. Keep doing this and upping the time you are outside. After a while she will realise that when you go away you always come back, but also she will realise that you stay when she doesn't bark.

She is excited when you come home because she has been left on her own all day and she is bored and in need of company. You need to ensure that she has things to play with when you are away. Leaving out a couple of her favourite toys or get her a kong and stuff it with her favourite treat, this will give her hours of entertainment while she tries to get the food out. Also, make sure you exercise her well before leaving her on her own for a long period of time.

If you feel that the problem is so bad that you need more of an instant fix then squirting her with a bit of water out of sports water bottle every time she barks should quieten her down. Remember to give her treats when she is quiet and well behaved, she will soon realise what is expected of her. Don't punish her with a shock collar - she doesn't know her barking might get you evicted, you have to let her know what behaviour you find acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

DON'T get a shock collar, it's cruel and useless.

Some things you could do.....

a) get her spayed. not likely to affect her barking but will be healthier and get rid of the risk of an unwanted litter of pups
    b) get her a companion. she's obviously lonely all day and desperate for attention when she has company again
    c) make sure she has adequate exercise (how much does she get at the moment?)

Advertisement