Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Way To Speed Up Receipt of Full License...?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

It's official: I am a competent driver! Of course, I always knew this, but as of 10:30am yesterday morning, I have that ellusive piece of paper to prove it ;)

So now, I need to get moving on replacing my hideous green license with a beautiful glowing pink one. What's the speediest way to go about doing this? I know I can go straight into my local MTO (I'm in Malahide; I think Swords is the closest... Can anyone confirm?) and it should take about 2 weeks or so to get to me.

However, I do recall that many years ago I went into the office behind the Four Courts to renew my provisional. Would I be quicker doing this? I'll happily wait in line for a few hours or whatever it might be if it meant speeding up receipt of the license.

By the way, I'm aware that the local MTO would give me a receipt which, although isn't a full license, *sort of* allows me to drive on motorways / take down L-plates etc. (I mean in so far as that it's unlikely the Gardaí give me hassle on it). However, this was my FIFTH attempt (!) at my test and I've been driving for about 9 years so you can understand I'm keen to get that full license in my possession :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Folex wrote: »
    It's official: I am a competent driver! Of course, I always knew this, but as of 10:30am yesterday morning, I have that ellusive piece of paper to prove it ;)

So now, I need to get moving on replacing my hideous green license with a beautiful glowing pink one. What's the speediest way to go about doing this? I know I can go straight into my local MTO (I'm in Malahide; I think Swords is the closest... Can anyone confirm?) and it should take about 2 weeks or so to get to me.

However, I do recall that many years ago I went into the office behind the Four Courts to renew my provisional. Would I be quicker doing this? I'll happily wait in line for a few hours or whatever it might be if it meant speeding up receipt of the license.

By the way, I'm aware that the local MTO would give me a receipt which, although isn't a full license, *sort of* allows me to drive on motorways / take down L-plates etc. (I mean in so far as that it's unlikely the Gardaí give me hassle on it). However, this was my FIFTH attempt (!) at my test and I've been driving for about 9 years so you can understand I'm keen to get that full license in my possession :D

Thanks in advance.

I think that was River House behind the Four Courts and it's no longer a MTO. (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Best bet is to go into the MTO with the shortest queue i.e. avoid the city centre :) You should have your license within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Congratulations on passing the test! :)
    I know I can go straight into my local MTO (I'm in Malahide; I think Swords is the closest... Can anyone confirm?) and it should take about 2 weeks or so to get to me.
    Ballymun is your closest MTO - There is none in Swords.
    Folex wrote:
    It's moved from River House, Chancery Street to a new block of buildings between Smithfield and Queen Street.
    Folex wrote:
    Strictly speaking you should wait for the actual Driving livence but I've never heard of a garda having a problem with it.

It might be a good idea to photocopy the Certificate of Competency also.
    javaboy wrote: »
    I think that was River House behind the Four Courts and it's no longer a MTO. (correct me if I'm wrong here)
    That closed several months ago - see above.

Here's a pic of the new DCC MTO (taken from Queen Street).

DCCMotorTaxOffice.jpg

Here's a pic of the new DCC MTO (taken from Queen Street).

DCCMotorTaxOffice.jpg

Parked on the path and double yellows. Book em' Dano. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think you can definitely take the plates down after the test if you've passed. I did it on the fifth attempt too - congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

There is some crowd in the Omni shopping centre and in donaghmede shopping centre that take your application and charge a little extra but apparently get it done quicker. They will make sure you have everything you need and do all the queing for you.

Not sure if its quicker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

When I passed my test I droped the application into the MTO on the same day I passed and got my full license in the post 2 days later, so you shouldn't be waiting long if you drop it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Red Alert, particular congratulations - Waking up the morning of the fifth test is not a pleasant experience I know, so fair dues to you for sticking at it and gettin' it done! :)

I'm gonna head into the new MTO on Queen St. tomorrow morning for 9.30am. Just filled out the form here now; does anyone know if they accept cash in the MTO? I don't have a cheque book, so if they don't take cash I may have to wait for the banks to open to get a bank draft...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

yes they take cash, well done on the lisence!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you allowed go out-of-county for it? Naas has nearly no queues and dispatches next day these days (second hand information but from reliable sources). Theres a licence express lane, no sitting with the tax arrears people (as theres a 'this month renewal' lane too!).

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Are you allowed go out-of-county for it?.
    I'm 99% sure one has to go to one's local MTO or a MTO in the same county.

MYOB wrote: »
    Are you allowed go out-of-county for it? Naas has nearly no queues and dispatches next day these days (second hand information but from reliable sources). Theres a licence express lane, no sitting with the tax arrears people (as theres a 'this month renewal' lane too!).

Don't think you're allowed. My gf's address is in Maynooth but she technically lives in Meath so Dunshaughlin MTO all the way! No queues and we passed Frank McNamara on the way in. You know the other Late Late Show stalwart who tried to make it in politics ;) In and out in <5 minutes.

Bit of a difference from my combined wait of 3 hours in River House and Clondalkin :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I got mine posted the next day from Ballymun so you've no worries about waiting ages there afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Congrats on passing :D I did about a little over a month ago and I was on a serious high the rest of the day.

Looks like different MTOs have differnet time-efficiency rates. You got some decent advise here, so your next order of business should be to put in your full license application :D

Yes, the MTOs take cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

COngtrats on passing. How much is a full licence does anyone know?

COngtrats on passing. How much is a full licence does anyone know?
    €25 for a ten year one.

Well, I went into (Dublin) town this morning, got my photos* and headed down to Queen St. I arrived there at about 9.40 or so, was waiting a grand total of about 2 minutes before I my ticket was called. Gave the cashier all the forms and paid (by credit card on the spot, btw) and I was gone!

The cashier said that it should be posted to me in the next day or two. I asked "Can I still drive in the meantime?" and she gestured to the receipt saying "Yeah, you'll be grand". Hardly and official answer, but I think it pretty much echoes the general consensus of the fact that the gardaí won't give any hassle to someone in my circumstance.

I also mentioned to her that the last time I called in for a license-related enquiry, it was in River house and I was waiting for hours. She laughed and agreed, then said that they're a lot less busy nowadays.

I have to add, by the way, that the building & its signage and layout were fantastic. Sounds like a paltry thing to mention, but compared to the unfortunate stereotype of tatty Irish governmental offices, the MTO was great. Modern, clean and completely void of that tatty, late 70's, musty coporate building smell :D

* I wouldn't recommend this, it was faaaaaaar too early to be taking photos of myself that would be committed to paper for 10 years! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

legally you can take down your L plates. you cant drive on the motorway if you dont have the full license in your possession. thats what the tester told me last week when i passed.

that the building & its signage and layout were fantastic
    It can be difficult enough to find if coming from the Smithfield direction (i.e. if re-directed from River House). It's not signposted IIRC.

It can be difficult enough to find if coming from the Smithfield direction (i.e. if re-directed from River House). It's not signposted IIRC.

I was actually talking about the inside of the building. But you're right Wishbone Ash; a taxi dropped me pretty much right at the square there and pointed out roughly where it was, but I still had to look for it.

• Advertisement

I was actually talking about the inside of the building
    I realised that but was just counter balancing with the external signage. ;)

Well, A+ to the MTO: I dropped my application in at 9.40am on Wednesday. Thursday's post brought my driving license to my door!

I HAVE A PINK DRIVING LICENSE!!! :D I sound like a giddy child, but believe me, after 9 years and 4 failed tests, it's a big deal to me. I've never been so happy to own something so pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

My test was on a wednesday morning, received competency cert at 10.30, was in the queue at the MTO (Dundalk) by 11.30, license came through the letter box 10am friday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well done on the test my friend !

I will also add a time line, for Ballymun.

Heading there first thing tomorrow morning. So I will give a date as to when I receive the licence !

Must also say there is a joy in the feeling of actully having a full license!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

2 Days all in all from Ballymum TAX Office !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Can i go to the main Tax Office in Dublin as show in photo? i did my test in Co. Wicklow and thats where i live

Can i go to the main Tax Office in Dublin as show in photo? i did my test in Co. Wicklow and thats where i live
    I'm open to correction but I'm 95% sure that you will have to go to your local MTO.

Advertisement