Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Timing Belt

Options
  • 04-03-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.
    I've just bought a 2000 Ford Puma 1.7 with 68k miles. I need to change the belt (6yrs or 60k miles) and was just wonder what would be the cheapest way of going about doing this? Would a Ford dealer be better?

Also, what would be the estimated cost of this?

Cheers,
    D

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its an 8 year old car so keeping a dealer service history isn't worth the effort.
    Get a decent local indy or else a reputable mechanic to do it. Far cheaper and possibly better job!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mungovan

Cheers, will try that.

Would you have a ball park figure of what I would be facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

around 350 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I usually get belts done at a main dealer (not Ford). So far I haven't paid more than €200.

yeah fan belts not many timing belts done these days for 200 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ford jedi wrote: »

Got my timing belt done on my 95 toyota last year for €200 off indy place

but would cost double for main dealer usually OP but the Pumas are ok, if you have a service history of it so far and looking to sell soon it may be worth a main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's about a 3 hour job, so whatever the labour rate is plus parts.

Make sure your mech has the timing tools - I'm pretty sure the crank is tapered and has no key to align the pulley; the crank and cam need to be locked up before loosening the crank bolt.

ford jedi wrote: »
    Not many cars these days have fan belts..

you got me that time jhmeg was asleep there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Seeing as your 8k over already, I'd get it done ASAP, I've heard of a 2 different pumas snapping their timing belts (I can't remember which engines), but they weren't excessively overdue a timing belt change. Get it done with a local mechanic, it's not to hard a job (I changed the one in my a4 recently), but just has to be done right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would normally get a timing belt done by a main dealer as they don’t cut corners on this. Often back street places don’t bother replacing some of the plastic pulleys and jocky wheels that should be replaced. You also can be guaranteed that a main dealer is going to use genuine parts. Replacing the timing belt is the most important thing to get done on an engine and must be done right and at the correct mileage. If it snaps it will more than likely bend valves and damage pistons and will more than likely need a replacement cylinder head or block which will be very costy. Main dealers are often quite reasonable aty this as was Ford when they had notorious problems with their 1.9 Diesels in the early 90ies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

mungovan wrote: »
    Hi.
    I've just bought a 2000 Ford Puma 1.7 with 68k miles. I need to change the belt (6yrs or 60k miles) and was just wonder what would be the cheapest way of going about doing this? Would a Ford dealer be better?

Also, what would be the estimated cost of this?

Cheers,
    D

according to Autodata 2000 puma 1700cc = 5years or 80'000 miles.
    so either way it should have been done before now.

If it snaps it will more than likely bend valves and damage pistons
    Only if it's an interference engine. Is that particular one interference? Lots aren't, eg most Toyotas and VWs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

JHMEG wrote: »
    Only if it's an interference engine. Is that particular one interference? Lots aren't, eg most Toyotas and VWs.
    Either way it could leave your car stuck or broke down in the wrong place only to come back and find it vandalised or worse still burnt out! :eek:

Big difference between a car that won't start, and a car that won't start cos the engine is fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Either way it could leave your car stuck or broke down in the wrong place only to come back and find it vandalised or worse still burnt out! :eek:

If I had to abandon my car on the side of the road because I'd just snapped the T-belt and possible fu%ked the engine, I'd be fairly happy to find it burnt out the next day (from an insurance payout point of view:p:D)

Anyway, we going off topic here. If you're concerned about an independent mechanic cutting corners and reusing parts, you could always get the parts off a main dealer yourself (just go down to you're local ford with the car reg, and ask them for a timing belt kit for that engine). Again i'll stress, where ever you get it done, get it done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mungovan

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have the name of a good garage in the Dublin area that would change it for cheapish??

Cheers

Advertisement