Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Columbia v Venezuela

Options
  • 04-03-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I see on the news that Columbia and Venezuela are shadow boxing. Bush of course is taking the side of the present regime in Columbia. To me, it looks like CIA fingerprints are all over this one. I reckon it’s an excuse to draw Venezuela into a conflict and so wrong foot Chávez.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BostonFenian

I see on the news that Columbia and Venezuela are shadow boxing. Bush of course is taking the side of the present regime in Columbia. To me, it looks like CIA fingerprints are all over this one. I reckon it’s an excuse to draw Venezuela into a conflict and so wrong foot Chávez.

I'm watching this with great interest. No idea what's really going on, except that there seems to be a lot under the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Certainly looks like it was designed to kill off any chance of Chavez gaining regional popularity due to his negotiations with FARC. It doesn't serve Colombia’s interests to bring FARC in from the cold and give them a civic outlet. No doubt the target was chosen to maximise the ripple effect, him being the contact for the French government in their negotiations too. Violate a neighbouring boarder, kill off the negotiator, inflame regional tensions, use the war on terror card and announce that Venezuela and Ecuador are both financing terror. The timing of the attack, the first (official) of its kind is telling in itself. What a beauty, about 6 birds with the one stone there.

Looks like now we have a good old fashioned them and us situation, good will evaporated and dodgy dossiers and accusations flying. Somehow I don't think the US will be too upset. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Ecuador *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

“The escalation of tensions was triggered over the weekend when Colombia troops crossed the border with Ecuador and killed Raul Reyes, a top commander of the Colombian FARC rebels who had set up a camp there.
    Chavez, who sympathizes with the leftist rebels, condemned the killing and angrily ordered about 9,000 soldiers — 10 battalions — to Venezuela's border with Colombia. He warned Colombian President Alvaro Uribe that any strike on Venezuelan soil could provoke a South American war.”

I think it was a deliberate ploy to stir up Chavez, they seem to have succeeded.

FARC *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

i have taken a keen interest in it, i like chavez. i think columbian is getting well more than it bargend for but i cant see much being done, in the end i think columbia will have more to gain from it than anyone else.

well i dont think it really was it was just they got lucky with an nformer and took action killing the leader and going on from there, i think chavez reacting was on his own free will and will at least make columbia think before it acts as much next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

lostexpectation, if you've something to contribute to the thread, contribute. Otherwise, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Funny how this happened shortly after Chavez had helped to secure the release of those hostages held by FARC.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

“In the mounting diplomatic crisis, Mr. Chávez has called Colombia the “Israel of Latin America” saying both countries bombed and invaded neighbors by invoking “a supposed right to defense” that he said was ordered by the United States. As well as sending troops to the border, he has expelled Colombia’s ambassador. His agriculture minister said Tuesday that the frontier with Colombia would be closed to stop commerce.”

Looks like Chavez is not going to be browbeaten. This could get untidy very soon.

I just can't believe people mentioned this situation without mention ecuador and the fact that a second in commend of farc a terrorist organisation trying take over part colombia of was killed, talk about being beware of russia propaganda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement