Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this good value??

Options
  • 04-03-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started to think about changing my car. I currently have an 02 Nissan Micra Automatic with less than 9000 miles on the clock. I took a visit up to the Ford Garage on North Circular Road(on the advice of my Aunt). I enquired about buying the Ford Fiesta Steel 1.4l triptronic, and trading in my Micra.

This is the deal that has been offered to me:

Fiesta steel 1.4 triptronic 3dr including mett. Paint: €18705

Less v.r.t. €3575

Less allowance 02 micra 3dr auto(9000 miles approx. 6130 euros

Balance due: 9000 euros

Vat content: 2000approx.

I get the VAT/VRT back as I am a Disabled Driver. Is this a good deal??

Advice/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How much would you pay for the Fiesta after all deductions (ie cash discount, VAT, VRT) without a trade-in? Subtract how much you'd have to pay with the trade-in from this figure, and you'll have the true price they're giving you for your Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anan1 wrote: »
    How much would you pay for the Fiesta after all deductions (ie cash discount, VAT, VRT) without a trade-in? Subtract how much you'd have to pay with the trade-in from this figure, and you'll have the true price they're giving you for your Micra.

The car dealer told me he wants a cheque for 9000 and no more.

The car dealer told me he wants a cheque for 9000 and no more.
    Yes but you can claim VAT back also, can't you? How much would the car cost you after all deductions, both with and without the trade-in?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yes but you can claim VAT back also, can't you? How much would the car cost you after all deductions, both with and without the trade-in?

With the trade-in: 9k.

Without the trade-in: 15130. He has valued my current car at 6130

So without a trade-in he'd be giving you absolutely no cash discount? That can't be. Have you asked him? It's important, because he's really only giving you €6,130 less that cash discount for your current car. And Ford discounts are usually big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do 2 seperate transactions so you can claim the VAT on the full amount rather than the cost to change. as in get the garage to buy your car in seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just as a side note. There is a brand new model Fiesta just around the corner presuming you are buying a new one:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_248583_25.jpg[/URL]

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just as a side note. There is a brand new model Fiesta just around the corner presuming you are buying a new one:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_248583_25.jpg[/URL]

Don't think its that one that I'm getting, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't think its that one that I'm getting, no??

No that's the new model that's coming out later this year i believe? (not too sure about that). I think the point was that, when the new model comes around prices for the old one will drop again.

I know. I thought about buying a Micra, but the "newer" version makes me puke. Horrible looking car.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your buying today then your getting the old model like this which has been on sale since 2002:

916917_20080210100230_1.jpg

If that doesn't bother you then you should be aiming for a good discount off the old model.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If your buying today then your getting the old model like this which has been on sale since 2002:

916917_20080210100230_1.jpg

If that doesn't bother you then you should be aiming for a good discount off the old model.

That's the car I'm talking about, yes. Except, it'll be a 3 door.

Advertisement