Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website query

Options
  • 04-03-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

this has possibly been asked and answered before but I don't know what it's called so don't know what to search for.

If I have a website, say www.website.com with several pages, say index.html, contact.html and news.html.

So normally, when each page loads, it looks like this in the address bar of the browser:
    www.website.com/index.html
    www.website.com/contact.html
    www.website.com/news.html

What I would like is for any page opened, the address bar shows www.website.com only with no path for the page being shown.

Possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

a very very bad idea, one (bad) way to do it would be having a holding frame, but why you want to do this and annoy/confuse users i have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

heggie wrote: »
    a very very bad idea, one (bad) way to do it would be having a holding frame, but why you want to do this and annoy/confuse users i have no idea

As Heggie said ... seems like a bad idea.

Unless its for some type of App where you don't want the user seeing what you're passing to the page ?

You could also use Ajax so that each page request refreshes the main Div in your page means the page doesn't get loaded but a portion of it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Any enlightenment as to WHY you might want to do something like this ?

At the very least, it'll confuse the user, mess up their bookmarks, and prevent search engines from indexing your site properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm guessing you are doing it to hide users from being able to modify a query or something? - for security reasons?

You could always use http://www.website.com/contact/ to goto contact.html using ModRewrite in Apache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

no real reason other than for tidiness.

I guess I didn't think enough about it, but thanks for the perspective guys. Appreciate it.

I'll leave my sites as they are so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Phew! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

AlanD wrote: »
    no real reason other than for tidiness.

I guess I didn't think enough about it, but thanks for the perspective guys. Appreciate it.

I'll leave my sites as they are so
    there is also the problem of SEO and many other problems. bad, bad idea.

to keep it tidy, do as webmonkey said and do it as; www.webby.com/contact/ , but even then, i still think your as well off just doing it as /index.html

Advertisement