Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with eircom!!!

Options
  • 04-03-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,

need some advice on this, my parents house is out in the sticks!!! well its not in the middle of nowhere but its a rural area! the problem is with eircom. the phone line is so bad that the phone breaks down every couple of weeks and when the line isn't down, there is a crackling which makes it very hard to hear the other person. the problem seems to getting worse over the years! what they really need is a new phone line! its not just their their house that is like this, their neighbours have the same problems. sometimes when you are on the phone, you can hear a funny noise like a phone ringing and we have discovered that it is the neighbours phone ringing, which is a mile away!!! we cant get broadband from any provider which is another issue but we cant even get dial up!!! well we can connect to it, but after about 30 secs it will disconnect which is so frustrating!! cant even check my emails when i go home!!

my parents (and neighbours) have contacted eircom on numerous occasions but the problem is never fully resolved!! the might come out and look at the line when it goes down completely and they will fix it but within a week is back to square 1!!! my parents know somebody who is high up within the company (but doesnt work in our area) but he cant even get anything done about it!!

sorry for the rant but this problem has been ongoing for the past 6-8 years and at this stage its gone beyond a joke!! I just need a bit of advice about what can be done, does anyone know who i can contact about it?? what are our rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I had exactly the same problem in my area(sticks also) the line was ancient, always crackly(sp?) I could connect to the net at 14K??? I couldnt get caller id or any of the other stuff that people take for granted. They said that the exchange wasnt enabled which was bollocks. Called eircom out maybe 10 times and while to their credit they always got it working it would be gone again within a week. The main problem was the multiplexer which was being used to connect me and 2 other houses to the one phone line.(which eircom insisted wasnt there even though I could see it on the pole) Id say you have the same problem.
    Long story short, switched to perlico, started calling them instead with same problems and eircom guys arrived out and changed the mux! everything perfect since, landline quality perfect (net access still ****e but solved that with o2 mobile broadband) all services available.

Dunno if this will work for you, but its worth a shot, and lets face it your service cant get any worse.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe a neighbour could have an accident with his tractor? Accidentally reverse into a phone line pole?

My parents couldn't get broadband for love nor money and dial up was terribly slow, so they bought a 3 modem and they're flying along now.

If Eircom have persistently failed to fix the fault, maybe there is room for a case with Comreg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Like Dudara said Comreg is the best course of action in this case as it is dragging on without Eircom giving a permanent solution to the problem at hand.
    Often the mere threat of Comreg does tend to result in them, sometimes, magically finding a solution. Ring up Eircoms complaints dept (1800200481) and state that you have been advised to lodge a formal complaint, get the first name of the person you are speaking with and a complaints reference number.
    Then ring up Comreg (1890229668) and outline the problem and give all of the details obtained from Eircom.
    Eircom have 10 working days to address the issue, if they dont Comreg will investigate it.

Advertisement