Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow in Portmarnock (no jokes! only a small bit though!)

• 04-03-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

Well i actually had a decent 20 minutes of snow for what must be over 3 years now, infact it's probably the best of the 3 sprinklings i have had since 2001.

The day started off with snow in the west and to the north and the showers seemed to be evading Portmarnock as usual, a trough line formed over northern Ulster around 4pm which was getting our interests and hopes up, then the trough started to fragment but then something much closer to us started to bubble up.

Convection had been lacking all day but then at around 5pm a shower formed over Meath and seemed to just stay still and become bigger and bigger.

The clouds to my north began to look very threatening and by around 530 it had edged very close, then it started raining!

hiradarzoomv4CACO9B45.png
    courtesy of nw-xtra

It rained moderately for five minutes, then hail began to fall and then big juicy flakes of snow, it began to get really heavy and for 20 minutes it snowed and snowed.

I was like a little kid at Christmas, to my misfortune my camera ran of batteries and i had to search for some frantically!

The snow piled up quite nicely in such a short space of time, i ate some snow and made a mini snowman.

Twas a blast, and then it was gone, the phantom meeting with snow was over for another year at least.

And i suppose it is that, the sheer rarity of snowfall, the deep uncertainty of of snowfall and the fact that snowfall always comes as a surprise for some reason or another, these are the reason why i love and crave it so much:D

The snow begins to fall
    start.jpg

field1.jpg

Blurry pic of field at the end of the snowfall
    field2.jpg

field3.jpg

schoolfield.jpg

car.jpg

snowman.jpg

snowman2.jpg

inch.jpg

The deep Drifts!
    driftslol.jpg

My back yard
    backgarden1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nice pics WC. Well done on building the snow man! Who said that it 'never' snows in Dublin??! As we all know here, if the charts are right and the air source is cold enough, it is well possible to get a good few inches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

isn't snow just lovely? It brings back our childhood spirit even if we're adults:):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good stuff WC, well impressed with the Snowman, you must have worked hard to make that fella.
    The snow really makes the place look great doesn't it, I guess that why we all crave it so much.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Longfield wrote: »
    Good stuff WC, well impressed with the Snowman, you must have worked hard to make that fella.
    The snow really makes the place look great doesn't it, I guess that why we all crave it so much.

Not really! My favourite thing is making those huge balls of snow and pushing the snowball along the grass and it gets bigger and bigger......... ahhhhh i wont more:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Great stuff WC:),
    Love the one of the pitch, very surreal light in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Great Photos. Loving the snowman.. :cool:
    Here a picture of mine.
    rain-01.gif
    You need to look really close..;)

Advertisement