Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Commandos - very gay are they not ?

• 04-03-2008 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Or maybe as some would say, scumbags acting like scumbags.

Eight British Commandos have been flown home in disgrace for stripping naked and engaging in appalling behaviour in a Norwegian bar during an Arctic training exercise.

The men disgusted onlookers in the town of Harstad with a drunken game of "naked bar".

After whipping off their clothes, they urinated on each other - splashing other customers and furniture - before slurring insults and abuse.

Furious senior officers ordered the soldiers, from the Army's 59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers, back home to face disciplinary action.

The soldiers stripped off in a Norwegian bar and reportedly urinated on locals, each other and all over the furniture

"This is taken extremely seriously," a Ministry of Defence official said.

The shameful case has been widely covered by the Norwegian media.

They highlighted local people complaining that they were fed up with yobbish behaviour by British troops, whom they accused of displaying a "nasty edge" compared with soldiers from other countries.

The incident happened on Wednesday night, after the eight soldiers had been honing their Arctic warfare skills alongside Royal Marines.

They were part of Exercise Octans, an annual exercise involving thousands of personnel from more than a dozen Nato countries.

The soldiers are among an international brigade in northern Norway training for another expected tour of duty in Afghanistan

The engineers, based at Barnstaple, north Devon, have passed the gruelling all-arms commando course, enabling them to wear the commando green beret and serve with the Marines on operations.

Local media reports said the men had been drinking before they arrived at the Sfinx Bar in Harstad, the nearest town to the exercise area.

They began "bothering" female customers, before shouting "naked bar!" and stripping off.

"Naked Bar" is a popular drinking game in many units across the British armed forces.

The rules are simple - participants immediately remove all clothing - and the game is usually tolerated among high-spirited troops when it is played well away from the public gaze.

In this case, however, the soldiers began urinating on one of their party who had slumped drunkenly to the floor, splashing urine over the bar's furniture and other customers.

Local police were called, and handed spot fines of £500 to each of the men before handing them over to the Royal Military Police.

Harstad police spokesman Gair Pedersen said: "They were drunk and there was a problem in the bar but we are quite used to dealing with British soldiers like this."

Norway's biggest newspaper, Aftenposten, quoted locals as saying the soldiers had been "bothering" female customers.

One, Cecilie Kleppe, 29, said: "Some of them even started waving their private parts at the other guests. Two of the Englishmen urinated on a fellow soldier who was lying on the floor. It was disgusting."

Bar manager Petter Holmbakken said he had never seen anything like it.

He added: "I can understand that the women were offended. It's no fun to be plagued by lots of nasty comments.

"To be perfectly honest, I and a lot of other Harstad residents are fed up with the Englishmen."

Lars Torsten, another resident, said: "The Dutch like a drink and get a bit boisterous but they do not have that nasty edge that so many of the British troops display - once they have got some schnapps inside them."

Ms Kleppe took the photographs and gave them to Aftenposten which commented: "The British participation won't be quickly forgotten.

The Ministry of Defence said all UK personnel taking part in Exercise Octans had now been banned from going to Harstad.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Dyflin wrote: »

At least gay men have more respect than to p!ss over each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

hahaha crazy *****! I wouldn't say gay so much as I'd say beer fueled and testosterone driven insanity! XD

Also it's pretty funny thet the norwegians frown upon the nudity when they're into having naked sauna parties and beating eachother with birch,but whatever your into! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Furious senior officers ordered the soldiers, from the Army's 59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers, back home to face disciplinary action.
    Replace that 5 with a 6 and there would be serious questions to be asked!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Isnt stripping naked a RM thing??? I have heard way too many stories.

• Advertisement

DublinDes wrote: »
    At least gay men have more respect than to p!ss over each other.

I hear gay dudes do that all the time! Just what I heard though :P

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    I hear gay dudes do that all the time! Just what I heard though :P

It's called a Golden Shower.

What are other people doing up at this time of the morning? Shouldnt you be in Bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

It's called a Golden Shower.

What are other people doing up at this time of the morning? Shouldnt you be in Bed?

Well im having a shower at this time, not a golden one:) Im off work tue and wed so this is my weekend:)

Commandos went a bit over the top by all accounts.Well and good p;aying games but not when theres loads of civilians about..

yeah I totally agree, they did take this abit far! i rang a mate who's currently in training with the royal marines(11 weeks to go!haha) and he reckons they're not exactly royal marines but a group from the army thats closely knit and maybe shares the same name etc. im not sure.

and im playing cod4 cause i cant sleep these days :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭deceit

there not marines there 59 commandos which do a seperate training course. There a bit like paras. 59 commandos part of the army where marines part of the navy

• Advertisement

ah yeah thats what he was tryin to say i reckon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This must be perfect for an anti British homophobe like the OP :rolleyes:

"Naked Bar", I heard, started off in the Falklands where the guys (and girls!) got bored drinking in the same bar every night with the same people. It is meant to be a very depressing place for service personnel. It kind of started off with Toga parties and went on to Naked Bar for want of something different to do.

This sounds a bit OTT though but if it's the Mail it must be true.

I did like this comment I must admit
    I'm completely disgusted by the behaviour of these Royal Marines in Norway! I know it's cold up there lads, but you could have taken your socks off - now everyone knows you're British!

- Ronnie, Germany

"Naked Bar", I heard, started off in the Falklands where the guys (and girls!) got bored drinking in the same bar every night with the same people. It is meant to be a very depressing place for service personnel. It kind of started off with Toga parties and went on to Naked Bar for want of something different to do.

hahaha yeah I'd probably have to agree with you there! I see it in good, all be it to some a little extreme, humor and spirit! I didn't even bother reading the article cause I don't really care! They got drunk, they got naked, they got a little...erm....wet? XD it's not like they broke out into a big fight and started hammering the locals! Instead they just sprinkled them a little bit! I certainly wouldn't call it gay by any means!

Well as I said, at least gay men don't p!ss on each other. Tell me what 'normal' men behave like the Brits, everyone knows that the british army has always been full of degenerates and perverts. Most regiments have their own 'exotic' initiation custom, e.g. minidazzler " Isnt stripping naked a RM thing??? I have heard way too many stories. " or whether it's urinating on each other or performing oral/anal sex on each other etc. So much for the macho, masculine character of the British army.

Still Fred, your hero King William of Orange had a young boyfriend did he not ??
    DILLIGAF wrote: »
    hahaha yeah I'd probably have to agree with you there! I see it in good, all be it to some a little extreme, humor and spirit! I didn't even bother reading the article cause I don't really care! They got drunk, they got naked, they got a little...erm....wet? XD it's not like they broke out into a big fight and started hammering the locals! Instead they just sprinkled them a little bit! I certainly wouldn't call it gay by any means!

:rolleyes: Trying to put a funny/good face to this disgraceful behaviour of a bunch of scumbags acting just like the scumbags they are. If someone did that in a pub I was drinking in I'd smash his face open, especially a perverted brit.

I see you have a ' mate ' in the royal marines, does he p!ss on you also ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

deceit wrote: »
    there not marines there 59 commandos which do a seperate training course. There a bit like paras. 59 commandos part of the army where marines part of the navy

They are Royal Engineers who have done the Royal Marines AACC (all arms commando course). 59 commando serve with 3 commando brigade RM.

Dublin Des, dont attempt to turn this into an anti British thing, your agenda is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well as I said, at least gay men don't p!ss on each other. Tell me what 'normal' men behave like the Brits, everyone knows that the british army has always been full of degenerates and perverts. Most regiments have their own 'exotic' initiation custom, e.g. minidazzler " Isnt stripping naked a RM thing??? I have heard way too many stories. " or whether it's urinating on each other or performing oral/anal sex on each other etc. So much for the macho, masculine character of the British army.

Still Fred, your hero King William of Orange had a young boyfriend did he not ??

:rolleyes: Trying to put a funny/good face to this disgraceful behaviour of a bunch of scumbags acting just like the scumbags they are. If someone did that in a pub I was drinking in I'd smash his face open, especially a perverted brit.

I can see where the aggression comes from. Denial honey, is not a river in Egypt :rolleyes::D

Who knows about William of Orange, those Dutch and their crazy antics eh :p

I can see where the aggression comes from. Denial honey, is not a river in Egypt :rolleyes::D

Who knows about William of Orange, those Dutch and their crazy antics eh :p

" Honey ".....oooooh, it's all coming out now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't think we can paint every British soldier with the actions of a few lads that went mad on the drink. I'm sure we've all mis-behaved with a few pints on us. Maybe not that badly though. :D

It's quite an amusing article, let's take it at that. It's shouldn't be an excuse to bash The Brits. And it is definitely not an excuse to be rude or abusive to your fellow posters.

You trying to tell me you would start on 8 pissed squadies?? Enjoy reconstructive surgery!

Also, nice job on the Brit bashing. Your originality is quite impressive :rolleyes:

Hagar wrote: »
    I don't think we can paint every British soldier with the actions of a few lads that went mad on the drink. I'm sure we've all mis-behaved with a few pints on us. Maybe not that badly though. :D

It's quite an amusing article, let's take it at that. It's shouldn't be an excuse to bash The Brits. And it is definitely not an excuse to be rude or abusive to your fellow posters.

I have done the Same thing a few months ago while Bushin'. Got stark Naked and marched around like a twat. Great craic at the time but afterwards I couldnt help but think of how cold it had been.

They may be commando's or whatever but they are still human. Humans feck up while drunk so I say laugh it off.

• Advertisement

no but last christmas there was a 'down to yer jocks/girlfriends underwear run through our towns mainstreet! then a "who can punch the kitchen wall the hardest" competition started and that ended with a few feng shui wounds i can tell ya. and the rest of us aren't even military! yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 biscuit_sligo

the getting naked thing wouldn bother me too much, ya it is rude but not unimaginable...what i think is just plain wrong is the fact that they feckin pissed on each other...thats not rude, its downright revolting. And they also got their piss on other guests on the furniture..Dilligaf, if you think thats amusing, "they just got sprinkled", then i feel sorry for you. I wouldnt give a ****e if theyn were marines, if they got their piss on me (who knows where theys boys have been:rolleyes:) id certainly react, squaddies or not....

lol i wouldnt be delighted and id probably "react" to, as you put it, which, if you really think about it, is what happened here. one lad opened fire on one guy, and out of retaliation, he opened fire on another guy and so on and so on... main thing? lighten the **** up you prude, their getting punished for it and they'll probably have a permanent nickname in the ranks now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interestingly, on other military forums which are frequented by British lads, they're being fairly hammer on. It appears that there are a few "rules" to the game including an absolute no-no on doing it in civy bars and these guys have stepped way over the mark according to their peers...

(It's also common for da ladies to take part too they tell me :cool: )

Advertisement