Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discrimination Modded Car?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 8:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I was just wondering is there alot of discrmination towards people especially young male drivers and tests the whole "boy racer" thing as my car just got some alloys and is getting tinted soon then i have my test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

hold off on the tint I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hello,

I was just wondering is there alot of discrmination towards people especially young male drivers and tests the whole "boy racer" thing as my car just got some alloys and is getting tinted soon then i have my test
    If the modification are legal and your insurance company has been informed of them, I can't see how 'they' can discriminate against you.

Young male drivers are more likely to pass a driving test than any other sector! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

Hello,

alloys are not a problem.
    If a tint is dark enough that the car cannot be seen into from outside then they wont take you on test.
    the logic is, if you can't see in you can't see out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

iconnect wrote: »
    alloys are not a problem.
    If a tint is dark enough that the car cannot be seen into from outside then they wont take you on test.
    the logic is, if you can't see in you can't see out.

Also some hand signals are useless which is on the test.

Alloys are fine but the tint could be an issue. I think it's even on the preparation letter that windows 'should not be unduly tinted'. As Wishbone Ash says there's no reason why they should discriminate but then again there's people with preconceptions in all walks of life. Most if not all are professional enough to evaluate the driver on their driving and not on their car but there's always one. ;)

iconnect wrote: »
    alloys are not a problem
    javaboy wrote: »
    Alloys are fine
    It depends on the alloys. I see illegal alloys on a regular basis.

Any part of the alloy wheel must not extend further out than the rubber of the tyre.

I often see alloys which are 'wider' that the tyres which are fitted on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thanks lads your probably right il hold off on the tinting for now! lets just hope i pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Thanks lads your probably right il hold off on the tinting for now! lets just hope i pass :D

Best of luck with it, as the others said testers shouldn't have a problem with a modded car but if he or she sits in, and can hardly see above the dash because the seats are on the floor of the car or something like that, well, they might discriminate, they shouldn't but they might, I suggest keeping the car as standard as possible for the test or if the car is modded, getting a std car to do the test in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If the modification are legal and ...

Yeah...I seem to remember a discussion on tints here before.

AFAIR, you can have whatever you like behind the B-columns, but in front of that, there's effectively no tinting allowed.

I could, of course, be completely misremembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

I was told that they'll look for any excuse they can to fail young fellas, because of who we are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Well i passed with Alloys dunno about body kits etc..

• Advertisement

I was told that they'll look for any excuse they can to fail young fellas, because of who we are.
    Another urban myth!

Young male drivers are more likely to pass a driving test than any other group.

Advertisement