Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come setanta and Sky show same CL game?

• 04-03-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

This is something that has bugged me a little and I haven't been able to work out. How come Setanta Sports 1 (Setanta's showcase channel) show the exact same game as Sky Sports during champions league weeks??

Take tonight. Sky are showing Barca/Celtic on both of their Sky Sports channels (one via red button). Yet Setanta use their main channel to also show this game, but show the Arsenal game on their Irish only station.

I understand that not everyone subscribes to both Setanta and Sky, but surely Setanta realise that alot of their subscribers are also Sky Sports subscribers. So why not use their main channel to show a game sky aren't showing.

I know its a bit pedantic, but I thought it was odd that Setanta always adopt this policy. Similar to Rte showing the same game as UTV/ITV.

Diversify douches!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cos they can only show celtic or sevilla in UK but can show whoever they want in ireland hence arsenal being on setanta ireland.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who cares, game of the night is on lc.tv anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Cos they can only show celtic or sevilla in UK but can show whoever they want in ireland hence arsenal being on setanta ireland.
    RTE get first pick for the match in Ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

eirebhoy wrote: »
    RTE get first pick for the match in Ireland though.

And always manage to end up showing the same match as UTV. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Manchester United equals ratings. I know a lot of people who will watch on RTÉ ahead of ITV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Is it not that, Setanta and RTE hold the rights to the CL in Ireland-RTE 1st pick-Setanta 2nd and 3rd. In England its ITV and Sky on tues(similar situation as Ire) and Sky exclusive to wed. I thought RTE and Setanta would have had ITV and Sky blocked during the CL like they do in England when its Setanta in Ireland only. CL is very easy to watch in Ireland especially, I wonder how much the rights cost especially considering we get so many British feeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

And always manage to end up showing the same match as UTV. Doh!

or UTV always end up showing the same match as RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Manchester United equals ratings. I know a lot of people who will watch on RTÉ ahead of ITV

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely, but they blindly pick United.

Clearly Arsenal/Milan is the bigger of the two games (by a good bit I feel) and anyone who dosent support United will probably be more interested in watching that game than United's.

Surely, as a public broadcaster, RTE should take that into consideration, and spread it around a bit, rather than always showing United regardless of who they are playing.

I agree entirely with you. But it is the only reason I can think of. they will probably ignore Arsenal in the next round aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely, but they blindly pick United.

Clearly Arsenal/Milan is the bigger of the two games (by a good bit I feel) and anyone who dosent support United will probably be more interested in watching that game than United's.

Surely, as a public broadcaster, RTE should take that into consideration, and spread it around a bit, rather than always showing United regardless of who they are playing.

Look the media is bias towards Man Utd,always has and always will.For Rte tonight not to show the gooners against AC was a testament to this.Manchester could have been 4-0 up after the first leg and they still would have shown that game. UTV....Ditto :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I agree entirely with you. But it is the only reason I can think of. they will probably ignore Arsenal in the next round aswell

It wont make a jot of difference who manchester is playing in the next round,UTV and RTE will show that game no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, they are a TV station, they will always act on ratings. There are more Man Utd fans.

The people who want to watch the better game are going to have Sky Sports :) The best game tomorrow night is certainly gona be Roma Real Madrid. Chelsea will be shown. Why? People who want to watch a good game will have Sky Sports :) Chelsea have lots of fans in Ireland.

They don't do these things just by magic, they have lots of data on which matches are watched most :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Look the media is bias towards Man Utd,always has and always will.For Rte tonight not to show the gooners against AC was a testament to this.Manchester could have been 4-0 up after the first leg and they still would have shown that game. UTV....Ditto :mad:

ratings ratings ratings.

theres a reason why liverpool & united games are always shown this side of the water... they're both clubs with huge fan bases in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

God bless Sky's multi choice viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

V!alli wrote: »
    God bless Sky's multi choice viewing

QFT

And I am not saying this after the fact but the clear game of the night was Arsenal and Milan, thank god I don't have to watch what they chose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

PHB wrote: »
    Lads, they are a TV station, they will always act on ratings. There are more Man Utd fans.

The people who want to watch the better game are going to have Sky Sports :) The best game tomorrow night is certainly gona be Roma Real Madrid. Chelsea will be shown. Why? People who want to watch a good game will have Sky Sports :) Chelsea have lots of fans in Ireland.

They don't do these things just by magic, they have lots of data on which matches are watched most :)

Good post except for this bit

"Chelsea have lots of fans in Ireland"

Do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Alot? Surely anyone and everyone. Better punditry and, if your picky about these things, usually about 3 seconds ahead of ITV :)

Ive got the free Setanta channel in mine and was assuming it would show the Celtic match, was snappin when it didnt so watched the Man U game on RTE. At first I was unsure of what I wanted- Lyon to win and Man U to crash out embarrasingly early or for Man U to win and eventually face Liverpool.

By part 2 all that was out the window, didnt give a **** about the grudge match, I wanted to see Lyon take it.

Q for those who have NTL Digital- was the Celtic match on any of their channels that comes with the regular subscription (the one that gives you all the main entertainment, music news and documentary channels). Bird was sayin it mighta been shown on her set up, as Ive only that old poxy NTL 16 channel set up (she has NTL digital, the package which gives the majority of the channels bar the films and most sports), get Setanta main channel as part of mine but it was showing Arsenal. As they showed Celtic the other week I presumed they would this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

cooker3 wrote: »
    the clear game of the night was Fenerbahce and Seville

Fixed... =) There was 15 goals over 2 legs... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RTE Sport is classed firstly as journalism and as such should have a more unbaised view. Do only Man U fans pay their licence fee?

When the draws ar ebeing made, you don't hope for an easy draw when you don;t have sky sports - you hope you're NOT drawn to play on the same day as Man United.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How come RTE don't have a live game on Wednesday? I notice Setanta Ireland will be showing Chelsea's match.

I thought RTE were able to show live football on both nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How come RTE don't have a live game on Wednesday? I notice Setanta Ireland will be showing Chelsea's match.

I'm not surprised - Man U and Celtic already played. Interest ends there, see previous post.

Edit - Actually, No, I am surprised. Real Madrid are playing

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Good post except for this bit

"Chelsea have lots of fans in Ireland"

Do they?

Yes, the glory hunting brigade, and also when all these new age Chelsea fans began following football, a lot of them would have seen Chelski on top of the league, which no doubt would have influenced their decision. There is a huge amount of kids with Chelsea jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I assume it's because of Inter vs Liverpool being on next week and they probably can only show 1 match per night per round or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Yes, the glory hunting brigade, and also when all these new age Chelsea fans began following football, a lot of them would have seen Chelski on top of the league, which no doubt would have influenced their decision. There is a huge amount of kids with Chelsea jerseys.

Which is the case with all clubs. Its by no strange faith that the most successful clubs have the biggest fan bases!

Due to Chelsea's tv contracts though RTE cannot show them.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I assume it's because of Inter vs Liverpool being on next week and they probably can only show 1 match per night per round or something like that

Correct.

Correct.

RTE normally show matches on Tues and Wed, don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Sevilla v Fener game was the pick of the bunch imo

I suppose people are looking at getting Setanta as an alternative to Sky...

Advertisement