Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever done the RTW thing & just not come back?

• 04-03-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone set out for a certain amount of time & just end up moving somewhere? I didn't finish UCD & have no degree which would be a huge problem moving somewhere, has anyone ever done it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I pretty much done it. Went to college in the states and intended on coming home for the summers and whenever i could. But instead i just traveled central and south America during my time off and had family and friends visit me. I was in California so they all relished the trip to a bit of sunshine. Anyways i never came home for the 4 years and went traveling for over a year straight from college without coming home. I had to eventually to work and save some money. And now i'm going away in August for however long i last. Over a year anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

hussey wrote: »
    Yes

Really? Care to give any more Detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Nope but would love to. Have done a bit of travelling and am currently waiting on job offer abroad if that doesn't come through I'm sooo heading off again asap and indefinitely this time. Half hoping the decision's made for me....

'fess up hussey, tell us of your travels. I for one would love to hear all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I think he might have just been answering in general. Not stating that he done it. But that somebody has done it. Just comes off that way to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I left ireland August 2005, arrived in sydney Dec 2005, got a job fairly avg pay for my profession, worked there for 3 months, very hard, got sponsorship and haven't looked back yet!

It's hard at time being away from your long term friends, family etc, you meet new people all the time, but they are 'new' people ...

But saying that I still have no real plans to go back

What do you do if you don't have a profession or qualifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

get a job and progress from there. you could also look into studying wherever your planning on going, would probably be expensive tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smythy1987

Im plannin on movin to the states as soon as i finish my marketing degree this may.. Im livin in ireland. Does anyone know if its tough finding a graduate job from in the US from abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Smythy1987 wrote: »
    Im plannin on movin to the states as soon as i finish my marketing degree this may.. Im livin in ireland. Does anyone know if its tough finding a graduate job from in the US from abroad?

Very difficult.. with the state of the US economy at the moment, there is an abundance of highly skilled graduates competing for a limited number of vacancies in a tight job market.. and given it costs approx $6000 to sponsor working visa.. not many companies consider it a worth while option unless your highly qualified or an exceptional candidate. Maybe consider internship USA with USIT as a chance to start off.. although most internships are unpaid.

• Advertisement

Thats the visa i was thinking of. The usit internship one.. Do they point you in the right direction for employment? The unpaid part is what im afraid of. Dont think my savings would stretch that far. Some people are saying that i could work in the evenings in a bar or summit but the idea of two jobs takes the shine off the adventure.. Basically im really hoping to find a paid internship.. May start e-mailing cv's out soon..

You'd need at least a postgrad for this VISA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Glacier wrote: »
    You'd need at least a postgrad for this VISA?

No you dont need a post grad, just an Honours Degree. I'm looking at doing the same thing, have a degree in marketing too, but finding it difficult to find a paid internship. As smythy said there is the possibility of working a second job.. restaurant/bar etc, and thats something I'm certainly considering..

so random that you have the same degree as me - marketing.. I havent looked into the whole job searching thing yet but i suspect its gonna be tough.. I was told to make up a really good cv with cover letter, write on it that your available for phone interviews and include international dialing codes for ireland. think its +353.. Then once thats all sorted email it out to dozens of places stateside.. In a seperate thread that i started ("Year out in States") one fella gave a link that looked interesting that showed job vacancies.. maybe check that out. Like i said i havent looked into the job search bit yet so dont know how helpful that site is. Seems to me tho that there are a lot of marketing internships out there its jus a matter of finding the right one.. BTW where ya thinkin of headin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I moved to Oz with the intention of doing the whole travel thing from here but over a year later I haven't moved and am very settled. Will do it eventually though just not sure when. No real hurry, especially since I'm a citizen :D

Advertisement