Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95 on Vodafone (Price / Branding) [The *ONLY* place to post these topics]

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Walkman wrote: »
    cormac1982 wrote: »
    I'm on 3 and they were offering me an upgrade to the N95 for €349 (bit much but I was willing to pay it). When I went back it was gone! They told me it was out of stock when I emailed them.

Cormac1982 why not drop into a 3Store, Grafton Street had them in stock today

Walkerman - Cause I'm hoping they'll have dropped the price when it's back in stock with themselves. They'll ring me when it is back and offer me an upgrade again but if they haven't dropped the price I can tell em I'm gonna switch to vodafone unless they can match their price! I won't cause I hate vodafone but they don't know that.
    I'm reluctant to leave 3 cause their internet access if good and roaming is good too - if I use a foreign 3 network it's free, just comes out of my normal monthly allowance of minutes/texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Will they not offer you a deal in the store?

Will they not offer you a deal in the store?

I suppose they would but I want them to come to me like, psychologically better! I'd feel like bit of baby walkin in to a shop and saying I'm leaving ya if ya don't give me that handset for 200 quid! Last time I went into a 3store I wasn't too impressed staff wise anyway so feck em. Might give one a ring in the morning and see if I can get anything out of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Up to you to get the best deal you can, I wouldn't feel like a baby if it was going to save me €200. I'm sure the store staff would understand, why nioit ask for the manager and explain you situation after all they should want to keep you on the network. Just a thought bit whatever you think is best

Up to you to get the best deal you can, I wouldn't feel like a baby if it was going to save me €200. I'm sure the store staff would understand, why nioit ask for the manager and explain you situation after all they should want to keep you on the network. Just a thought bit whatever you think is best

Ya I'll give it a try. Not gonna be near a 3store for a while tho but I'll ring em and see if they have em in stock at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

bogman wrote: »
    just a short while ago I phoned vodafone support and dealt with a pleasant lady who "eventually" told me she would do what she could and I am due a call from her tomorrow

Fair dues, vodafone support sorted me out and provided me with the unblocking code :D

Mobiles & PDAs forum added to bookmarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Just learned the other day that Vodafone has halved the price of the N95 8GB...

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago at full price :mad:

Anyone else think that this is incredibly unfair on people who have just bought the device from them in good faith to go and charge €200 less a couple of weeks after, knowing that they would be dropping the price ??

I presume there is no comeback once they have done this, you can't return the phone etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

rcs wrote: »
    Just learned the other day that Vodafone has halved the price of the N95 8GB...

I just bought this a couple of weeks ago at full price :mad:

Anyone else think that this is incredibly unfair on people who have just bought the device from them in good faith to go and charge €200 less a couple of weeks after, knowing that they would be dropping the price ??

I presume there is no comeback once they have done this, you can't return the phone etc...

what do you think? do you return your pc a couple of months after you buy it because its now cheaper than when you bought it? its a fact of life with technology mate.....you'd be laughed at if you tried to return your phone for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Delboy5

If im using Garmin XT on my N95 for sat nav am i incurring any charges from Vodafone for using this !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hey, I'm on Meteor Pay-as-you-go and wouldn't really want to change that - definitely not to bill pay but I'll switch to another network if needed. I REALLY want a N95 but pay-as-you-go is still ridiculously expensive.

I don't know anything about bill pay contracts, but is there any way for my dad to get an upgrade for the N95 (he's on Vodafone bill pay), keep his old phone and then I can use the N95 with my meteor SIM? I know it will need to be unlocked (apparently Vodafone are selling their phones unlocked?!!!) but how do upgrades work contract wise?

And quick side question - what does it matter if phones are unbranded? I know unlocked is important but who cares if it has a brand on the side?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Hey, I'm on Meteor Pay-as-you-go and wouldn't really want to change that - definitely not to bill pay but I'll switch to another network if needed. I REALLY want a N95 but pay-as-you-go is still ridiculously expensive.

I don't know anything about bill pay contracts, but is there any way for my dad to get an upgrade for the N95 (he's on Vodafone bill pay), keep his old phone and then I can use the N95 with my meteor SIM? I know it will need to be unlocked (apparently Vodafone are selling their phones unlocked?!!!) but how do upgrades work contract wise?

And quick side question - what does it matter if phones are unbranded? I know unlocked is important but who cares if it has a brand on the side?!

Yes, your dad can get an upgrade. If on bill pay for > 6 months already, Vodafone will provide the unlock code over the telephone straight away. If it's a new phone/first time contract, they will charge €200 first (I was told this by them).

Vodafone were selling the N95-2 unlocked and unbranded until the recent price drop (to compete with the O2/iPhone). They now are branded v11 firmware and have a colour matched Vodafone logo on the back - the text matches the "Nokia Nseries" lettering, and is pretty much unnoticable.

People talk about branding for firmware (e.g., custom apps preinstalled, Live menu, etc., ) and the physical branding. The last part is just the lettering as I mentioned above. You don't lose any functionality with replacing the Vodafone-branded firmware and gain a lot.

The only reason I think that phsyical branding might matter is if you do an upgrade and want to sell the phone as new immediately, and keep your old phone. Seeing as the N95-2 SIM-free is around €550 and on contract it is €169-€229, you could make a few hundred euros with an easy sale of a new unbranded and unlocked N95-2.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Yes, your dad can get an upgrade. If on bill pay for > 6 months already, Vodafone will provide the unlock code over the telephone straight away. If it's a new phone/first time contract, they will charge €200 first (I was told this by them).

Vodafone were selling the N95-2 unlocked and unbranded until the recent price drop (to compete with the O2/iPhone). They now are branded v11 firmware and have a colour matched Vodafone logo on the back - the text matches the "Nokia Nseries" lettering, and is pretty much unnoticable.

People talk about branding for firmware (e.g., custom apps preinstalled, Live menu, etc., ) and the physical branding. The last part is just the lettering as I mentioned above. You don't lose any functionality with replacing the Vodafone-branded firmware and gain a lot.

The only reason I think that phsyical branding might matter is if you do an upgrade and want to sell the phone as new immediately, and keep your old phone. Seeing as the N95-2 SIM-free is around €550 and on contract it is €169-€229, you could make a few hundred euros with an easy sale of a new unbranded and unlocked N95-2.

What do you mean if it's a first time contract/new phone? I thought he could only get it if he was on bill pay for more than 6monthes (which he has been). So is it 200euro for the whole lot (incld. phone) of is that just a first time contract fee, as you say? And if he has to sign a contract for uprgading, how will he get out of it to give it to me to use? Do they mind if he keeps his old phone and contract or should I not mention that I'll be keeping the new Nokia N95! :) How else will I unlock it though, I'll have to ask them for the code.

Sorry, as you can see I'm a noob to all this. And thanks for clearing up that thing about branding. I see where you're coming from with the physical branding but I didn't realise the term also applied to firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Ok, i'm a bit confused. I've read early in this thread that a guy got the reduced price N95 8GB from vodafone - unbranded etc, however, now i'm hearing that the reduced price models are all Vodafone branded.

Has anybody bought one recently that can confirm this? I'm picking mine up on Saturday and just want to know what to expect - and if i need to go de-branding / upgrading firmware straight away?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Ok, i'm a bit confused. I've read early in this thread that a guy got the reduced price N95 8GB from vodafone - unbranded etc, however, now i'm hearing that the reduced price models are all Vodafone branded.

Has anybody bought one recently that can confirm this? I'm picking mine up on Saturday and just want to know what to expect - and if i need to go de-branding / upgrading firmware straight away?

Thanks in advance!

I got mine and it was already unlocked and unbranded. It had no Vodafone software on it at all, and it didn't have the Vodafone logo on the case either. I bought it as soon as I heard about the deal, which I think was the day they announced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware on the N95 8GB that Vodafone are now selling? I got one a week or so ago and it has vodafone firmware on it, but the phone itself is not vodafone branded.

so I'm just wondering if i'll bother

Has anyone bought this on bill pay upgrade and have gotton the unlock code from Vodafone? I'm afraid if I ask they may think I'm a dodgy seller...

Is it possible to backup, debrand, upgrade the firmware to at least 15.0015 (or whay would ye advise) and restore the apps on this phone, I am a vodafone customer and want to retain vodafone live at least, not sure if any of the apps are necessary
    Need this to upgrade to Nokia beta maps and full youtube
    My phone is a new branded one
    Any advice given appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Has anyone bought this on bill pay upgrade and have gotton the unlock code from Vodafone? I'm afraid if I ask they may think I'm a dodgy seller...

If you've been with Vodafone for more than 6 months, you can just request the code from your MyVodafone page. I think it's under "NAC" or something like that, under the heading My Mobile, when you log in. Just type in your IMEI, and the site will send you the unlock code via text. I did this just the other day with my new N95-8Gb and it worked flawlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

There is a thread dedicated to this,

• Advertisement

There is of sorts and I realised that after posting this, the thread seems to refer to people outside vodafone getting the phone debranding upgrading the firmware and using it on either Meteor or O2 but I could not find anything about doing what I wanted to do
    Apologies for posting here, maybe one of the mods could move the thread, I tried deleting it but did not have the privileges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I'm in the same boat as you bogman, but I don't really care about debranding or keep/losing vodafone live etc, I just want to update to v15 firmware.

There is no dedicated thread that I can find which takes you through the full process... NSS / Euro1. I've changed my product code but still can't update my firmware through the Nokia Updater :(

Guys, i'm in the exact same boat. I've found these links but havne't been brave enough or had the time to get a right go at doing the upgrade. See if they work for you:

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

G wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you bogman, but I don't really care about debranding or keep/losing vodafone live etc, I just want to update to v15 firmware.

There is no dedicated thread that I can find which takes you through the full process... NSS / Euro1. I've changed my product code but still can't update my firmware through the Nokia Updater :(

You must not have changed it correctly or to the right product code, cause as soon as I changed mine, Nokia Software Updater picked up the new firmware straight away and upgraded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Guys, i'm in the exact same boat. I've found these links but havne't been brave enough or had the time to get a right go at doing the upgrade. See if they work for you:

http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

I've updated my firmware using the methods above. Make sure you back up first. I used the euro1 product code & was then able to update to v.15 via nokia's software updater. Then i reloaded my backup to my phone. Didnt loose vodafone live either

jessconr wrote: »
    I've updated my firmware using the methods above. Make sure you back up first. I used the euro1 product code & was then able to update to v.15 via nokia's software updater. Then i reloaded my backup to my phone. Didnt loose vodafone live either

JessConr, how did you back the phone up?

• Advertisement

JessConr, how did you back the phone up?

Nokia PC Suite for N Series Phones is the one to use. Dont use the regular PC Suite or it wont back up drm keys etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Ok folks

I just followed this firmware update from the links above.
    performed a backup of phone and card memory first.
    done the upgrade to v15 no prob
    restarted fine and restored my backup

oh ****, now the message i get after my pin is inserted is:

Phone start-up failed
    Contact the retailer.

the product code I used is 0549487 euro1

Please help

Thanks

Can I do a hard reset or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Ok

Just read about the reset CALL+3+* (after taking the sim out). Thankfully its not a brick now.

I realise that when you restore you have to restore with settings.

Phew

thats a warning to everyone

B

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

i'm contemplating upgrading to fw v15

however i can't seem to fully backup my phone, it gets stuck at 10% as its trying to back up one of the files for garmin mobile XT. (when i try to back the phone only and not the memory card it works fine)

can anyone tell me how i can overcome this?

gloobag wrote: »
    If you've been with Vodafone for more than 6 months, you can just request the code from your MyVodafone page. I think it's under "NAC" or something like that, under the heading My Mobile, when you log in. Just type in your IMEI, and the site will send you the unlock code via text. I did this just the other day with my new N95-8Gb and it worked flawlessly.

Ah, thanks a mil. It's my dad that is getting the upgrade for me. Being able to get the unlock code off the website takes a lot of the hassle off.

So for the upgrade, he doesn't have to change his minutes contract does he? Just 189 for the N95-8gb and he keeps his old phone and contract?

That's a damn good deal. Now I just need to understand what everyones talking about with firm upgrades, and software apps, and keeping Vodafone live etc.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

when you guys say that you're backing up the phone memory and card, i hope you mean the 8 gb storage space, cos you're not meant to put v15 on a standard n95, its for the 8gb version only!

Ok, to those that have successfully upgraded their N95 8GB's to V15 firmware, did you lose the Spiderman movie afterwards?

I still haven't taken the plunge. Is it really worth it?

I am going about upgrading the firmware differently, dropped the phone into The Nokia Center Cork today, was reluctant/afraid to take the risk myself in case I bungled it up, they are upgrading to ver 15 (free) reckon Spiderman will be lost myself, that being the case I want to delete it and free up space, will let you know tomorrow, this is a very good thread

I am going about upgrading the firmware differently, dropped the phone into The Nokia Center Cork today, was reluctant/afraid to take the risk myself in case I bungled it up, they are upgrading to ver 15 (free) reckon Spiderman will be lost myself, that being the case I want to delete it and free up space, will let you know tomorrow, this is a very good thread

Thanks Bogman - let us know how you go with that - will be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 timlin

hi all hope someone can help just got a nokia N95-2 and i put in my sim and han no contacts i loaded the contacts from sim to phone but when i ring someone the name comes up but when they ring me there number comes up not the name im a bit lost can anyone help cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Ok

Just read about the reset CALL+3+* (after taking the sim out). Thankfully its not a brick now.

I realise that when you restore you have to restore with settings.

Phew

thats a warning to everyone

B

Spooner,

I just updated my firmware to debrand the phone and i'm getting this error as well.
    However i've googled it and cannot find how to "restore with settings", care to elaborate?

Thanks,
    S.h.2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

timlin, if the contacts are in twice the number will not show up. maybe delete them from the sim & just have them on the phone. u can always back them up on the computer so u dont need them on the sim also

Thanks Bogman - let us know how you go with that - will be interesting to see.

Once you backup ur phone using PC Suite for N Series phones -> upgrade firmware -> restore backup .. the spiderman movie works fine.

Thanks Lynchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

Having just got this phone using my dads upgrade i am finding everything works fine bar the gps as it never ever finds me its using vodafone live to connect to the net sometimes it takes about 5 mins others it dont work at all, is it a problem with the internal gps or is vodafone live just ****.

Also is the updated firmwire worth the risk of me potentially bricking a 2 day old phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

the gps usually takes a few minutes to get your location. it all depends on the amount of satalites available in outer-space. I'm subscibed to vodafone also.

I also upgraded my firmware to v.15. Make sure you back up your phone before your try updating & make sure you follow the instruction carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Hi, could you tell me where the Nokia Centre is in Cork?

thx

Nokia Centre
    Choice Communications,
    11-12 St Patricks Quay (near Bridge street)
    Cork,
    Ireland.
    Tel: (021) 4551554
    Phone firmware upgraded, lost whatever text messaged I had (only a few so not worried) images and music files retained but Spiderman lost, thats not a problem either, Vodafone live still works but the app is gone, you just have to manually select it, mail centre settings also lost but no problem imputing that info, as advised by others backup your data and restore it after doing the firmware upgrade

Just got my N95-2 and I'm really happy with it except it didn't come with Spiderman movie?!?

Can anyone tell me (or give me a link to somehere) how I go about upgrading the firmware? Not exactly sure what firmware I have at the moment or how it benefits me to upgrade it! Does this void the warranty if I upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

havin updated the firmware i gotta say it was alot easier than i thought it would be and very quick, only prob now is spider man is locked so wont play anyway to change this or should i just delete the file

Advertisement