Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

religion as an exam subject?

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

has anyone on this done or doing religion for the leaving cert...whats it like?
    i have an option of doing it as an extra subject like because i don't qualify for lcvp, it would be my 8th subject?...is their much point in doing it or would i be better focusing on getting a good grade in honors maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Waste of time i think........ And thank god that you don't qualify for LCVP, its terrible!!! Im in 5th yr and i'm taking an extra subject outside school at the moment and it does take a bit of work. Religion would require loadsa work i'd say. Put your effort into HL Maths and you'll be glad of it when you get 100 points! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

johnk123 wrote: »
    Waste of time i think........ And thank god that you don't qualify for LCVP, its terrible!!! Im in 5th yr and i'm taking an extra subject outside school at the moment and it does take a bit of work. Religion would require loadsa work i'd say. Put your effort into HL Maths and you'll be glad of it when you get 100 points! :)
    oh but you see it wouldn't be outside of school...24 people who would do religion would be in the same class and when others have religion as a non - exam subject and lcvp we'd have religion as an exam subject like...

yeah but i actually don't know if i could get 100 points in maths tho...
    i did get an a in jc but i dono...
    i guess it is pretty retarded doing a subject that i got a b in junior cert like cos the only subjects i didnt get an a in were irish and religion lol

and i would be in the same class as my friends as they are planning to do religion...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

well alot of people signed up thinking itd be an easy A but it wont be :) it wont be stupidly hard be it will take a considerable amount of work

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

To be honest I think you would be better concentrating on your 7 subjects and spending all your time on them instead of adding more pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

No no no. I do religion and it is easy! Its like a very basic and waffly version of english, just got a b1 in the mocks with feck all work put in, I did it instead of LCVP and it's at least an easy 75 points in the bag, Its a substantial course but dont let that throw you off because its an easy one!

• Advertisement

would it be easier than irish though?

aliqueenb wrote: »
    would it be easier than irish though?
    Definitley easier than honours and was easier than ordinary level for me, but im brutal at irish. I would advise EVERYONE to do it, remember its the first few years of the subject and the classes are really small so the examiners are marking so easy aswell as the easy course. A's all around!

BJC wrote: »
    Definitley easier than honours and was easier than ordinary level for me, but im brutal at irish. I would advise EVERYONE to do it, remember its the first few years of the subject and the classes are really small so the examiners are marking so easy aswell as the easy course. A's all around!

yeah picked my subject choices for 5th year in this order: german, business, history and geography...
    in junior cert i got a b in religion and irish so thats why i was thinking to do religion cos i know maths will probably be quite hard.

Maths is a bitch alright. Religion will carry you all the way. If you want easy points do religion.

yeah i think i will do it and if i'm finding it really hard in 5th year i'll persuade them to let me give it up...even though i asked would they let you and they said no! but they can't actually force you to do it for lc can they? or can they just force you to do all the work in class so that you may as well do it for leaving cert?

lol i might not even get to do it cos there is a good amount of interest in it and they are only letting 24 do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

BJC wrote: »
    Maths is a bitch alright. Religion will carry you all the way. If you want easy points do religion.

Not as easy as you think then clearly. Whether you find it hard or easy is entirely dependant on the person may I add also. If you are good at stuff like History and Geography go ahead as it's all essay based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Sometimes people get too caught up on the pints system, think which would look better on a CV for future employers for the rest of your life, good religion and **** maths or excellent maths???? I dont think religion would mean much for the future, not as much as history at least

Honors Maths is probably the best subject you could have and its worth putting a load of time into it if you need too

turgon wrote: »
    Honors Maths is probably the best subject you could have and its worth putting a load of time into it if you need too

yes but i could make your other subjects suffer if you spend too much time focusing on it?

But you have to focus on points, you employer will want to know your college degree long before your leaving cert subjects, so is it not more important to do whatever subjects get you the points you need..?? "Jakkass" is right, it is essay based but more like a very basic english essay. For instance A Q. I had was
    "Elaborate on two contempory sources showing morality as a natural phenomenon in society"
    I began by writing about 9/11, described how everyone was outraged, then talked about symbolism in a nirvana music video and then a modern day painting of jesus on the cross. Got an 75 out of 80 and it was all waffle and snippets of current events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

do religion
    it's really easy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Don't be too short sighted here. Religion will be of zero use to you in the real world. There's nothing worse than third level students with piss poor maths ability. If you put in the work now it'll stand to you in your future studies.

i took my name off the list to do it...vice principle was going on about how much extra work we would have to put into it, like it being like history.
    i really wan't to do honours maths (halfly for the snob factor yeah wateva!) so i think i would be better just focussing on 7 subjects because i would hate to get a C in any subject even if i wasn't counting on it for points.

5uspect wrote: »
    Don't be too short sighted here. Religion will be of zero use to you in the real world. There's nothing worse than third level students with piss poor maths ability. If you put in the work now it'll stand to you in your future studies.

Even though religion forms the moral guidelines of many people throughout the world, and that you will always encounter people with religious affiliations. Understanding how other people see the world is actually incredibly useful if you think about it.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Understanding how other people see the world is actually incredibly useful if you think about it.

Sure, but no where near as useful as basic maths and the higher level maths has become diluted enough. If you want to learn about religion just post in the religious fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Im going to agree with 5uspect here

And about you leaving cert not mattering, when employers are judging 5 people with the same degrees there going to use your lc results to pick

• Advertisement

Sure, but no where near as useful as basic maths and the higher level maths has become diluted enough. If you want to learn about religion just post in the religious fora.

well if you want be culturally aware, its a really interesting and engaging course, like i dont believe in god AT ALL but i still like the subject, theres some objectional content but i still think that im getting a better deal doing this than HL maths.

Matrices dont make good conversation, philosophy or talking about your beliefs is.

also as to posting in relegious fora: your more susceptable to just acting on someones opinion rather than any factual basis :)

turgon wrote: »
    And about you leaving cert not mattering, when employers are judging 5 people with the same degrees there going to use your lc results to pick

to be honest id say reference to your leaving cert isnt all that common, and getting an A in HL maths is just as difficult as getting an A in relegion:)

also id imagine selection for a job is more based on suitablity for the job rather than second level academic achievement.

there are other qualifications of than the LC and a college degree

[sorry for the double post, but multi quote never seems to work for me]

Fad wrote: »
    to be honest id say reference to your leaving cert isnt all that common, and getting an A in HL maths is just as difficult as getting an A in relegion:)
    which is easier to get a b in though!

well if you want be culturally aware, its a really interesting and engaging course, like i dont believe in god AT ALL but i still like the subject, theres some objectional content but i still think that im getting a better deal doing this than HL maths.

Matrices dont make good conversation, philosophy or talking about your beliefs is.

also as to posting in relegious fora: your more susceptable to just acting on someones opinion rather than any factual basis :)

There is nothing wrong with learning religion etc if you want to. What I'm saying is that it's worthless as an examinable qualification (unless you want to be a religion teacher...)
    If you have an interest and the classes are available then by all means go, maths is fundamentally more important.

Having an A in HL Maths going to college to do any science or technical degree will be one of your biggest assets. So many students arrive unable to do even basic calculus that we constantly have to explain the basics. I had 4th years last year that didn't know how to use the midpoint rule ffs. Not to mention the availability of bonus points in some universities.

There is nothing wrong with learning religion etc if you want to. What I'm saying is that it's worthless as an examinable qualification (unless you want to be a religion teacher...)
    If you have an interest and the classes are available then by all means go, maths is fundamentally more important.

Having an A in HL Maths going to college to do any science or technical degree will be one of your biggest assets. So many students arrive unable to do even basic calculus that we constantly have to explain the basics. I had 4th years last year that didn't know how to use the midpoint rule ffs. Not to mention the availability of bonus points in some universities.

same points are going for an A

and yes maths is useful, but is it really worth putting the unessecary strain on yourself?

and the bonus points arent on offer from the biggest universities

i'm not going to do it, lol i have made up my mind that i would make myself work to a b in maths cos i would tbh be dissapointed with a c, and if i'm gonna work that much i may aswell put more effort and try get a good b or an a, instead of taking on a whole new subject, which i only got a b in the jc, unlike maths.

is it really worth putting the unessecary strain on yourself?
    I would say so. If you're going to do a college degree it will benefit you significantly in the long run. The leaving cert isn't as traumatic as people make out. College exams can be must more stressful and it would be better to enter that environment with a proper foundation.
    the bonus points arent on offer from the biggest universities
    They are in UL at least and many are calling for their return for HL Maths and Physics across the board. That should be an indicator of the importance of the subject.

That's the point isn't it? Surely if you are doing a humanities degree of some form like Philosophy, History, Theology etc etc. Religion would serve you better than a subject like Maths. It's relative to what you choose in your CAO. Maths wouldn't be of paramount importance in degrees like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

aliqueenb wrote: »
    i'm not going to do it, lol i have made up my mind that i would make myself work to a b in maths cos i would tbh be dissapointed with a c, and if i'm gonna work that much i may aswell put more effort and try get a good b or an a, instead of taking on a whole new subject, which i only got a b in the jc, unlike maths.
    Good decision! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I think an A or a B in Hons Maths will stand to you........ i hope it'll stand to me anyway!!

Advertisement