Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

religion as an exam subject?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Jakkass wrote: »
    That's the point isn't it? Surely if you are doing a humanities degree of some form like Philosophy, History, Theology etc etc. Religion would serve you better than a subject like Maths. It's relative to what you choose in your CAO. Maths wouldn't be of paramount importance in degrees like that.

Sure but you'll find a Theology degree dispenser in most bathrooms! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Fad wrote: »
    well if you want be culturally aware, its a really interesting and engaging course, like i dont believe in god AT ALL but i still like the subject, theres some objectional content but i still think that im getting a better deal doing this than HL maths.

Matrices dont make good conversation, philosophy or talking about your beliefs is.

also as to posting in relegious fora: your more susceptable to just acting on someones opinion rather than any factual basis :)

To be honest I wouldn't trust a Catholic teacher 'teaching' me about other religions. In my own experience some (I'm not saying all) seem to have their own agenda and it's not one I'm interested in.

In an increasingly multi-cultural Ireland it isn't too hard to find someone with different beliefs and ask them about it. It makes for interesting conversation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's the point isn't it? Surely if you are doing a humanities degree of some form like Philosophy, History, Theology etc etc. Religion would serve you better than a subject like Maths. It's relative to what you choose in your CAO. Maths wouldn't be of paramount importance in degrees like that.
    I think he was talking about real degrees. :p

And being serious for a second. Maths is one of the only subjects at LC level that requires logical thought. Most other subjects, regrettably, are more about rote learning and learning how to answer questions in a specific way, and it's possible to get a high grade without actually having any real opinions about the subject you're studying. In college it's not like that, you need opinions of your own and you need to be able to write essays which are unique and contain logical arguments. Personally, I think that the person who got an A in HL Maths would actually be a lot better at this than someone who got As in other subjects, but only got an average grade in OL Maths, most of the time.

The skills involved in understanding Maths and Science and understanding and analysing Arts and Humanities subjects aren't really that different, though it's easier to bluff an understanding of the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I think he was talking about real degrees. :p
    5uspect wrote:
    Sure but you'll find a Theology degree dispenser in most bathrooms :p

I was expecting a somewhat mature take on it. But alas no.

I'll see how far you progress in learning Biblical Hebrew and Greek then. I'm sure it'll be no bother to you at all. :rolleyes:

To be honest I wouldn't trust a Catholic teacher 'teaching' me about other religions. In my own experience some (I'm not saying all) seem to have their own agenda and it's not one I'm interested in.

In an increasingly multi-cultural Ireland it isn't too hard to find someone with different beliefs and ask them about it. It makes for interesting conversation :)

I have a COI teacher :p

But the text book we use is pretty good and does cover all 5 of the major world faiths. So nothing to worry about really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I was expecting a somewhat mature take on it. But alas no.

I'll see how far you progress in learning Biblical Hebrew and Greek then. I'm sure it'll be no bother to you at all. :rolleyes:

I reserve the right to act like a 17 year old on the LC forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

well to be fair i have a catholic teacher (i also have the misfortune of attending a catholic school) and he is quite aware of my beliefs (or lack there of) and has never tried to push anything on anyone.

itsa subject, a bit like history, but with more scope for generating your own opinion, and more scope for puttinf foward you own opinion on the paper:)

As a matter of interest, would you get marked down for cynicism, even if you argued it well?

There was a question on the compulsary junior cert paper the first year it became so. I think it went along the lines of 'what is your idea of god'. If you said you didn't believe in any god fullstop, what could you have added to that to make it the 'right' answer? I mean it didn't ask you to say why you didn't believe in any god so, in my view, it wasn't a fair question.

Any opinions on this?

Well you could say that God is a delusion or a mind virus etc. and explain why.

• Advertisement

Good idea :) Wonder would it be seen as the 'right' answer though?

Well, Atheism, Agnosticism and Humanism are on the syllabus, I don't think the marking scheme would be biased against non-theists.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, would you get marked down for cynicism, even if you argued it well?

No, you won't. Infact you're meant to be totally objective in the coursework, they'll take marks off if they see that you are leaning too much towards anything. That is according to my religion teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No, you won't. Infact you're meant to be totally objective in the coursework, they'll take marks off if they see that you are leaning too much towards anything. That is according to my religion teacher.

in an ideal world yes, but in fairness id say the examiners will be almost exclusively (quite relegious) catholics.

BUT i think if you reason your answer well you will definitly get the marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PolliPockets

Religion is probably the hardest subject I've taken, about 2 people in a class of 16 passed our mock and people really take it for granted. I really regret taking it but its very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

UGH I hate religion! It's so boring and the oursework seems so tedious, wish I'd picked Home Ec or Biology instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Montenegro123

aliqueenb wrote: »
    has anyone on this done or doing religion for the leaving cert...whats it like?
    i have an option of doing it as an extra subject like because i don't qualify for lcvp, it would be my 8th subject?...is their much point in doing it or would i be better focusing on getting a good grade in honors maths?

I'd say you should do Religion, as not only is it an easy enough subject, There is a great choice of topics on the course & you've 20% done before you even sit the exam!!!
    I take it after school as an extra subject {my 9th!}, (there's only 2 of us), and We've had the course done for a while now.--->& I got an A2 in the Pre's (and he was marking hard!) and I only got a B in the JC!!!

Do it!!!!

Advertisement