Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Pub

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

So, do you have a favouite or local pub in Sligo town or county?

TBH I don't think I have a fav one anymore. I used to frequent the usual student pubs as a student, (O' Neils, Leitrim, Brewery etc.), then I spent a while hanging out in places like McHughs and the Belfry. Now when I go to a pub in town I like to hit McGarrigles or Mcloughlins or Shoots if its not Jammers.

What about everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My favourite pub (dont have one just now) will be the one in which you lot organise a beers night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Used to drink in Shoots a LOT! now McLoughlins.
    The majority of pubs in Sligo are crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Belfrey, McHughes, McLaughlins, Shoots, Fureys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Used to be O'Neills from about 2003-2005 and Garavogue from 2000-2005 but now I dont really have a favourite , theres no one where I would feel totally at home in , McHughs is where I usually end up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

muffler wrote: »
    My favourite pub (dont have one just now) will be the one in which you lot organise a beers night ;)

Have there been nights like this? Seems a bit odd / creepy to me.. dunno why - maybe I just prefer the anonominity of forums!

As for favourite pubs - Mc Gariggles & Shoots are the only ones I'd willingly go to. Can't stand McHughs .. I was in there one Xmas, freezing cold night, head just shaved & a hat on to keep warm. I was told at the door to take it off, so I did, then when I was out having a smoke in the beer garden, I put it back on to keep the oul noggin warm. 10mins later 2 bouncers came up the stairs & ordered me to leave, saying "we told you to take that off". Sad. Like I was hiding knives it or something.

• Advertisement

Have there been nights like this? Seems a bit odd / creepy to me.. dunno why - maybe I just prefer the anonominity of forums!.
    Happens a lot actually. We had a beers night (for the mods) about a month ago. It was a great night (I think :D). Not sure how many were there but it would have been somewhere around 70 - 80 and it was lovely meeting everyone in the flesh so to speak. (Coke and hookers in abundance too - thats one of the perks of the job).

Then the lads over in BGRH had another night out the following weekend.

Anyway to stay on topic here I will declare my favourite pub after someone organises a Sligo forum beers night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Anyway to stay on topic here I will declare my favourite pub after someone organises a Sligo forum beers night.

Go on then, Mr Mod...you organise it. :D

I like the Ark for an early drink, (no, not that early... 6ish!), Belfry, Glasshouse (except for the service!), also Caheneys (sp) on Mail Coach Road!

Eclectic wha?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

In town Connolly's and McGarrigle's. In the county, The Strand.

Love the Strand, but I think its just a summer thing.

Yup it is indeed a summer thing, do they still do that night link bus out to Strandhill? Paying for taxis out there makes my pocket hurt!

• Advertisement

Yup it is indeed a summer thing, do they still do that night link bus out to Strandhill? Paying for taxis out there makes my pocket hurt!

Yep, it's still running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Do they still do gigs in the Strand? We used to go a fair bit, New Years Eve used to be a big night there.
    Used to go to Hennigans, Hardacons (sniffle) and shoots fado. Now I suppose would be interested to know as well. The thatch in Ballysadare has still got charm and a trad night I think. Still would go to Shoots, or try and get to Fureys. Is Connollys the long "old mans pub", thats kinda cool.
    Anyway might get more of a chance now since ive just got a job in Sligo toon.:eek:

Good luck in the new job Tuppence!

I'll meet you for a drink after you get your first pay cheque!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Connollys is a great spot for live footy on a Saturday.

Fave pub = anywhere cosy comfy and relatively quiet until AT LEAST 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Connollys is a great spot for live footy on a Saturday.

Fave pub = anywhere cosy comfy and relatively quiet until AT LEAST 11pm.

Hear Hear.

Foleys in Tubbercurry is a nice place for a pint as well, as is Doddy's in Ballymote

sueme wrote: »

I'll meet you for a drink after you get your first pay cheque!
    No I insist drinks on you before it! ;)

Go on then, Mr Mod...you organise it. :D
    I'll pass the buck on this one and leave it to Basdquille (again ;))

But I will only go providing starbelgrade promises to turn up also and wears a balaclava to preserve his anonymity.

tuppence wrote: »
    No I insist drinks on you before it! ;)

Allll right then..

Tomorrow 8.30am, Stephens St Carpark. I'll be the one on the wall with a flagon of cider.

Basquille don't live here no more. He just comes in, smacks us, then leaves again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

But I will only go providing starbelgrade promises to turn up also and wears a balaclava to preserve his anonymity.

I shall turn up dressed as Bin Laden, so I'll need everyone to bring along some hay for the donkey.

• Advertisement

Allll right then..

Tomorrow 8.30am, Stephens St Carpark. I'll be the one on the wall with a flagon of cider.
    Be careful you might be moved on.;)
    I was thinking its going to be a bit hairy for the staff with a guy in balaclava, what are they going to make of Bin laden! I reckon the bouncers might be after you again Starbelgrade. :eek:
    Barred from favorite pub when it might be the first time some of us have even been in it. Doh!

The Belfry advertise on this site, so out of loyalty we should arrange something there, maybe? (Also they have good security - keep out any Bin Laden types)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basquille don't live here no more. He just comes in, smacks us, then leaves again.
    ** SMACK **

Quiet down..

** leaves **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Love the Strand, but I think its just a summer thing.

We go to the Strand bar for a hot chocolate most Sunday afternoons after walking the dogs in the area. Delicious!
    I can't say what my favourite Sligo pub is but can I tell you what my favourite Leitrim pub is?(It's only 15 minutes drive away) It's Stanfords in Dromahair.

I can't say what my favourite Sligo pub is but can I tell you what my favourite Leitrim pub is?

Post reported!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

+1 for Stanfords as a Leitrim pub, it's my favourite pub in Leitrim but in saying that I have not been in very many Leitrim pubs.

Maybe I should have put up a poll of best pubs in Sligo. Somebody mentioned Hardigons, what's the story with that place, is it being reopened? And another O'Connoll street pub, Cavanaghs, what's happeing with that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Post reported!!!

:D

I have to apologise for my pitiful social life since having my two year old...:o I had to put that because it's the only pub I've been to more than once.... I know, sad but true....

Can I maybe add Mooney's now coz I was there and will go there again before a Sligo Rovers match.

Opphs i just got the Strand mixed up with the Venue. :o Thats the place that used to do gigs. Dunno whether it does anymore. But since ye mentioned the strand is good too. (after a seaweed bath)

I can't say what my favourite Sligo pub is but can I tell you what my favourite Leitrim pub is?(It's only 15 minutes drive away) It's Stanfords in Dromahair.
    As far as I can see Stanfords is the best pub in the region, covering Sligo and Leitrim!
    No doubt the Sligo heads will try and claim it soon like Glencar waterfall.:p

*legs it before getting chased out of town*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tuppence wrote: »
    As far as I can see Stanfords is the best pub in the region, covering Sligo and Leitrim!
    No doubt the Sligo heads will try and claim it soon like Glencar waterfall.:p
    Your welcome to it! Leitrim needs all the attractions it can get!:p

*legs it before getting chased out of town*
    We'll find ya! Eventually you'll get bored and come back!
    YOU'LL ALL BE BACK!!!
    Muhawaw!:cool:

Advertisement