Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery advice, what to buy.

Options
  • 04-03-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hello All

Looking for some advise on a present for my girlfriend. I've decided on jewellery but can't decide what to get.

What do you prefer?

Single Pearl Necklace
    PN31400200_zoom.jpg

3 strand Pearl Necklace (Pearls are not as good quality as above)
    PN13200200_zoom.jpg

Tahitian Pearl Necklace
    PN31400700_zoom.jpg

Diamond Necklace
    DN56400300_zoom.jpg

Diamond Solitaire Necklace (Bigger stone than above)
    DP19401001_zoom.jpg
    DP19401001_cat.jpg

Please help me out! Girlfriend is early 30's and has nothing similar to the above.
    Thanks in advance

Which do you prefer 35 votes

Single Pearl Necklace
    0% 0 votes
    3 Strand Pearl Necklace
    8% 3 votes
    Tahitian Pearl Necklace
    0% 0 votes
    Diamond Necklace
    31% 11 votes
    Diamond Solitaire Necklace
    17% 6 votes
    Something else
    42% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If she is in her early thirties I wouldnt even think about getting the first or second one, it is more what her mother would wear. My mother is in her 50's and wouldnt be old enough to wear white pearls, very very old fashioned.

Personally I would pick the Tahitian one or Diamond Solitaire, hmm, I dont know, but that's a matter of personal choice. Diamonds lack imagination a little bit, maybe but are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I like the solitare. I don't think many girls would wear pearls tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, em, everyone's tastes are different.

Not to panic you, but has she nothing like the above because its not her thing?

I really really don't do pearls / diamond necklaces, yet there a while ago, my ex gave me a solitaire necklace..... yeah. Still, my mum likes it a lot.

SO.... to sum up, whether she does or doesn't like that type of jewellery, the tahitian pearl necklace seems to be the one that falls between the two types, and its absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

sueme wrote: »
    I like the solitare. I don't think many girls would wear pearls tbh.

I thought that too, but there are loads of girls wearing them if you start looking around. And pearl earings.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Well, em, everyone's tastes are different.

Not to panic you, but has she nothing like the above because its not her thing?

I really really don't do pearls / diamond necklaces, yet there a while ago, my ex gave me a solitaire necklace..... yeah. Still, my mum likes it a lot.

Not worried about that, she and I have been together for years and I know her very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I like the solitaire too... i have one from a matching set at swarovski, they have some lovely stuff there...

You could check it out they have a website

Very thoughtful of you!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Good stuff. I also like the 3 strand pearls, its the type of thing I'd never ever wear, but the type of thing I'd want to.

/me stops showing age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

As someone in her mid twenties, I'd go for the single string pearl necklace or the diamond v necklace, both classic and would go with anything really. The three string pearl is (imho and as has already been stated) for the older lady, and while the tahitan necklace is lovely, it may become dated easily and doesn't have the same kind of "wow" factor as the diamond necklace or the pearls would have-again imho.

As for the diamond solitaire, in the past I would have considered it but I've seen too many young wans were the Jordan version of that around the "Cearnog".:p

Good luck, all your choices are lovely, either way I'm sure she'll appreciate the gift, a girl loves getting jewellery (you don't fancy having a word with my other half do you :P )

Thanks Wandering Star, good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I got a single strand of pearls for my 21st, I wear them pretty regularly. Nothing beats the feeling of cool pearls as you put them on and they slowly warm up. Failing the pearls, I'd go for the diamond solitaire. IMHO, the tahitian necklace is nice, the three strand pearls are old and the v wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I think the pearls or solitaire are classy and timeless - something she'll wear now but keep wearing forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

OP, if she has nothing like this, then chances are she's not into jewellery like this, especially seeing as she's 30. If she liked that sort of stuff, wouldn't 't she have collected some over the years?

What kind of clothes etc does she wear? That might give an indication of what she's into. Does she wear any expensive jewellery or is it all stuff from topshop etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

Hmmm it's always tough to buy jewelery for someone else with having to take into account someone else taste in clothes and own personal style. I suppose in my opinion I'd buy the Tahitian classic - it's very pretty and would go perfect with a black dress which every girl has and it would be a nice accesory for the outfit on special occasions.

I'd rule out the diamonds on my own personal taste and the three stand pearl necklace because of the dated look it gives off. Um with the single strand necklace - it's a little just meh and pretty average there's no wow factor and besides girls tend to accumulate one of these over the years for a birthday or some other occasion from friend or grandmother or aunt so she might recieve another one in few years or maybe months!

You want to give her a piece of jewellery that's unique and special that will remind her of you so failing the Tahitian I would maybe get her something engraved! Besides it thought that counts - wish my boyfriend would buy me some! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I voted the Tahitan as I thinks its the nicest of the necklaces posted. Either that or the diamond solitaire. Either of those are very classic and got with lots of different items of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

As a girl in her late 20's and very into her jewellery I would offer the following advice.

I personally love pearls - but some people absolutely hate them, so unless you have previously seen your GF wear pearls I would not go for this option.

I would also agree with the previous poster who said that the 3 string are old fashioned - she may not consider wearing them.

Don't even consider the Tahitan pearls. They really do not have the wow factor and are not the kind of thing you could wear with every outfit.

The diamonds - well personally I think you never go wrong with diamonds. My own choice would be the solitaire - its simple and classic and will never date.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Of the choices I think the Diamond Solitaire or the Tahitian Pearl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Diamond solitare or Tahitian pearl. I'm female and 30 and would love either of those. They would be great for more casual wear if she wanted and certainly would look fabulous for a mor formal occasion. Both a classic in look too so will stand the test of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd go for the Diamond Solitaire personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

hmmm. if i were you id actually opt for a bracelet.
    a nice delicate elegant diamond bracelet.

do you have to get her a necklace??

ive been given a few necklaces with solitaires and never wear them.
    personally i do like pearls. but only the single strand.
    also, colour wise, go for cream. classic.

my problem is so many people are wearing cheap versions that when i see girls wearing solitaire & pearl necklaces i just assume costume jewellery!

so i vote diamond necklace. (just make sure its not the same style as a cheaper one out of the Argos catalogue!!)

good luck!

although she might prefer an engagement ring!! hee hee :D

Thanks all for the advice. I have to say I'm surprised at how many votes the Tahitian pearls got. I as strongly leaning towards the pearl strand but that is not as popular as I thought. someone made a comment that a solitaire might not have a wow factor compared to a cheaper knock off, I tend not to agree. I think a doamond will always standout out next to a crystal or knock off diamond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sosusie

Hi
    Have to say I also like the the third pearl necklace.
    I also think a solitaire is elegant.
    All depends on what style your girl friend is.
    If pearls are small on the single string of pearls...winner.
    if the pearls are big....how often will she wear them???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

The Tahitian pearls are amazing, Tahitian sea-water pearls are ASTRANOMICALLY priced though. What is your budget? I presume thousands with the selection you have shown us. Lucky girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i would go with the diamond necklace. my advice would be is go through her jewelary box see what kinda of stuff she likes. i know im not a huge fan of pearls but ive two neclaces. one are cultured pearls. very expensive and they do look nice on and then i have cheap pearls that were belong to my gran. i know when getting jewelary my boyfriend got me a gorgeous watch. that is always a safe option.

Advertisement