Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes ripoff!

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was in Dunnes stores cavan today and wanted to buy a cheap pair of jeans for knocking about in- I spotted a pair which were priced at 8.00 euro or 4.00sterling (which works out at about 5.25 euro) and I had some pound coins in my pocket so I went to pay in sterling as they were priced in both currencies and the cashier would not accept sterling coins...I said then they shouldnt be priced in sterling if they were not going to accept coins and they do not have any signs stating that they will not accept sterling coins!
    I then paid 8.00 euro which meant that DUNNES RIPOFF STORES made an extra 2.75 euro profit by pricing in both currencies and only accepting the highest value one...:mad:
    DUNEES should not be allowed to do this to the customer..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just because a price tag may be in dual currencies doesn't mean that they have to accept both. Cavan may be near the border, but last time I checked it was in the Republic, and therefore the Euro is the legal currency.

If the store normally accepted sterling, then that would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Well at least you know more than Bertie Ahern!
    and yes the do accept sterling notes and when you cross that great big border most shops take euro as well as sterling
    I guess you havent been round the border areas too much:confused:

muincav wrote: »
    yes the do accept sterling notes

Well then, go into the shop and ask what their policy on accepting sterling is. The shop is perfectly entitled to transact as they see fit, within the law.

Without knowing shop policy exactly, I'm guessing that they may not take sterling coins due to the difficulty in dealing with the bulk of coins and having to maintain two cash floats. Notes are easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The UK also has a lower VAT rate which you should take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Hi all,
    I was in Dunnes stores cavan today and wanted to buy a cheap pair of jeans for knocking about in- I spotted a pair which were priced at 8.00 euro or 4.00sterling (which works out at about 5.25 euro) and I had some pound coins in my pocket so I went to pay in sterling as they were priced in both currencies and the cashier would not accept sterling coins...I said then they shouldnt be priced in sterling if they were not going to accept coins and they do not have any signs stating that they will not accept sterling coins!
    I then paid 8.00 euro which meant that DUNNES RIPOFF STORES made an extra 2.75 euro profit by pricing in both currencies and only accepting the highest value one...:mad:
    DUNEES should not be allowed to do this to the customer..

Why would a shop have signs saying that they will not accept the coins of another country. Most large shops will accept sterling notes, at a rate set by them, as most banks will not accept sterling coins in retail lodgements. Banks also charge commisson to accept sterling notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

jahalpin wrote: »
    Why would a shop have signs saying that they will not accept the coins of another country. Most large shops will accept sterling notes, at a rate set by them, as most banks will not accept sterling coins in retail lodgements. Banks also charge commisson to accept sterling notes

Well if that is the case they should only price the items in EURO and not both currencies-
    Im sorry started this thread as their seems to be a lot of DUNNES STORES defenders, and not defenders of the CONSUMER on here...time to get your priority right-not all big company policy is correct as you all seem to think...
    after all, Dunnes are just like the rest of the big companies-make money of the small guy and sod your rights!
    Normally the only people who would support Dunnes are people who are benefitting from them-so if you havent got anything to say that will benefit the CONSUMER on this thread why bother saying anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

walk into any store that operates in england and ireland and you will see tags in both currencies. Its a convenience thing for the stores as they dont need two sets of price tags. I cant understand how anybody in the republic would expect to pay the sterling price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well if that is the case they should only price the items in EURO and not both currencies-
    Im sorry started this thread as their seems to be a lot of DUNNES STORES defenders, and not defenders of the CONSUMER on here...time to get your priority right-not all big company policy is correct as you all seem to think...
    after all, Dunnes are just like the rest of the big companies-make money of the small guy and sod your rights!
    Normally the only people who would support Dunnes are people who are benefitting from them-so if you havent got anything to say that will benefit the CONSUMER on this thread why bother saying anything?

I don't "defend" companies or people. If someone asks a question and I know the answer, I will give it, or if they make a statement, I will give my opinion.

None of your rights were offended: A listed price is only an entreat to sale and does not have to be given at the point of sale: Also, although I have never worked in a border store, All the stores I have worked in do not accept foreign coinage.

Btw, the forum is not called DEFENDER of the consumer- its called consumer issues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leeza

There is no Price control on any products in Ireland. Both prices can be shown as long as the euro price is legiable. The business can add more to the price if they so wish.

Many clothing stores (Oasis, Warehouse, Vera Moda, Debenhams to name a few) feature pricing in multiple currencies. It's a very common practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So you're only looking for people to agree with you? You came to the wrong place my friend. The folks around here are only pointing out that Dunnes may not be guilty of as heinous a crime as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Someone mentioned the difference in UK vat as one reason for the price difference. I don't think this applies here as from what I understand, Dunnes Cavan accept Euro and Sterling, just not sterling coins, so the actual VAT is the same 21%, as the sale is being conducted in Ireland.

So they refuse your sterling coins. Well, as Sterling is not a legal tender currency in the Republic, they are entitled to do so. If they want to, they can accept payment in magic beans, but they aren't legally obliged to.

I think the most important point as a consumer, is that if you feel you are being ripped off (regardless of whether or not others agree you are), then vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere. Don't buy the product anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Loads of shops around the border accept sterling OP but most usually just accept notes as dealing with coins is so much trouble.

As other posters have said, loads of shops display multiple currencies but it doesnt mean that they accept all the currencies listed on the tag as the euro is legal tender in the republic of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Most large retail outlets reduce costs by having standardised batches of items. This saves money as it reduces the number of different items required for manufacture which makes the whole process more efficent.

Dual pricing doesn't affect your statutory rights in any way.

The cost of doing business in ROI is far higher than in the UK. These increased costs must be passed onto consumers. If you want the cheaper price you can freely cross the border into NI and buy the item there.

I, personally,don't like Dunnes at all, however they are entitled to make money. They provide a lot of employment both directly and indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Even if Dunnes decided to accept sterling would they not use their own conversion rates like they do in M&S, so you wouldn't have gotten it for the sterling price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Why do you think the tills are dual currency?? I work in Dunnes, we can't accept sterling. Customer Service will change it for you though. I hope you didn't go mad at the salesperson, THEY didn't set the price. Take it up with Head Office if it so bothers you, it's on Mercer Street. Nearly every shops that operates here and in Northern Ireland has both prices on their tags, it doesn't mean they accept sterling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

I've always wondered about "the cost of doing business in ROI is far higher than in the UK"
    The Irish minimum wage is quite a bit better but not as high as the differences between prices in the UK and Ireland
    minimum wage in Ireland is euro 8.65
    UK minimum wage is rising to euro this year 7.47
    so approx 13.5% difference.
    And always thought that Ireland had lower tax rates for businesses etc (well presumed in since the NI excutive trying to get powers to set similar taxes to the ROI).
    me thinks its to do with the lack of sainsburys, asda and Morrisons

oh and forgot that store with the brilliant add campaign fronted by a overweight coke head (Iceland)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not just wages, but other stuff like rent, utilities, etc. And not just for Dunnes, but their suppliers and distributors too. Each of those also have to cope with higher wages, rent, etc. so the cost is already higher before Dunnes even buy the stock.

I don't know if this could be a factor, but the UK is also a bigger market so perhaps the economies of scale could work in their favour too, with the UK shops, having many times more sales, can get stuff cheaper. I don't know about that though.

Yeah but using Tesco as an example its more expensive here than the UK (think I saw a report one time saying something like 18/20%) and a lot of their food is UK sourced and these days transport is cheap (by ship and presume they go into Dublin port) and even if it is expensive surely Dunnes (who have Irish sourced produce) would be more expensive in the UK (well only have NI to go on).
    my personel view and thats all it is that there's a higher % of Irish customers that are less value minded (an example of this is seeing smoked eel going for 80 euro a kilo in Fresh (on georges street) I know this is a luxery product but the lads working up in Toome (near lough Neagh) aren't millionaires and you see Trucks of live eel going to France (where you can buy them live in markets for reasonable prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work there, I've never seen prices double the sterling..normal would be £17/€25 and £8/€10 and £95/€150.

I know quite a few people in England earning quite a lot less than the equivalent of €7.47...most are getting less than €6, €7 and over would be considered good.

(Most of Dunnes clothes suppliers are Hong Kong or Spain btw. Quite a few are British also)

• Advertisement

Never said the prices were double I was wondering why it would be 20% higher rather than around 13%.
    Yes there's a lot of people in the UK on less than the minimum wages I put down (they are fully trained adults) but there's also a lot in Ireland too not sure about Dunnes but know Domino's pizza has some shocking pay (girlfriend has done their payrolls also have heard about Dunnes and some of there staff treatment but not sure if that was just one person complaining).
    And the point that the goods have travelled from Hong Kong means the difference between UK and Irish distribution should be negligible in terms of total cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes starts at €9. Yeah restaraunts like that tend to have the lowest pay, and pubs. Retail cover themselves as regards minimum wage...staff treatment, the handbook is very strict, depends on your mangers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

as dual pricing allows you see how much Dunnes Stores are ripping you off why not vote with your feet and shop elsewhere?

i also do not agree with stores giving two prices as this can be confusing for elderly or infirm people, but it is up to the companies to set thier own policies on this as long as they show prices in € they are not doing anything wrong!

Advertisement