Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyata Yarris

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Excuse the dumb question, but when I look at this car it just looks like it's small that if you were in a crash above 30 Mph you'd be lucky to make it out in one piece.
    Your thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it has a 5 star safety rating, due to a very strong passenger cell and if you go for 2 out of the 4 models available in Ireland, you'll get 9 airbags (4 on the more basic options) the upgraded spec which includes some other goodies like leather steering wheel, better stereo & seats etc. costs €800 over a base model.
    The original Yaris got a 4 star NCAP rating in 1999 and is very safe for a car of this era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As noted above, the Yaris is one of the safest small cars money can buy.

Though EURO NCAP make it a bit easier(nothing dramatic) for smaller cars to get x stars than for big cars. So a bigger car with 5 stars would be safer(especially if you're in the back seats and someone drives into the back of the car). You can't defy the laws of physics(that said the Yaris is still a lot safer than most other cars out there);).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Excuse the dumb question, but when I look at this car it just looks like it's small that if you were in a crash above 30 Mph you'd be lucky to make it out in one piece.
    Your thoughts...

Lets put it another way, when you look at a huge SUV do you think that it is a safe place to be? They can infact be the opposite, due to their high centre of gravity and general bulkiness they are alot less safe than their owners think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

here's a nice video, not a yaris but a modus, 5 star ncap in a head on collision with a volvo estate from back in the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In fairness the Volvo in question is based on a design that came out in the early 1908s(all it was was a rehashed 700 series). I'd still much rather be in any anyway recent Volvo than a Modus. Like all cars the safety of Volvos improves with the passage of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

the video was more to show what a 5 star ncap rated modern super mini can do, rather than show that a smaller car is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »
    In fairness the Volvo in question is based on a design that came out in the early 1908s(all it was was a rehashed 700 series). I'd still much rather be in any anyway recent Volvo than a Modus. Like all cars the safety of Volvos improves with the passage of time.

Would you rather be in the modus hit by that Volvo or that volvo hit by a much bigger car(minibus maybe)? Modern safety all the way for me.

Advertisement