Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One of the great games

• 04-03-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Kudos to Arsenal, an absolutely mesmerizing game and a truly sensational performance. To go to the San Siro and outplay Milan like that is no mean feat, and to do it with a team so young and missing a key cog at the back is extra special.

Flamini, Fabregas, Hleb, Clichy, Gallas, Senderos, Adebayor... 10/10.

I'm watching that game again tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Was just saying to the lads here, that had we lost that having played the way we did I would still have been proud. But to go to the San Siro and play the way we did, while also winning, I think will show just how good a team we are. Whatever Ive said about Helb in the past, and I must've been one of his biggest critics, this season he has been immense. Also Flamini, Cesc, Adebayor, Gallas and Clichy were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

didn't see the game - but it is a great result for them - had a feeling they would do it as i didn't fancy this Milan side to beat them, but to go and do it, and convincingly according to reports i have read from fans who did watch it, still takes a bit of doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hleb was insane with the atwistin' and the aturin'. And that little chipped through ball he did from the centre edge of the box to the corner of the 6 yard ... wow :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

even as a Utd fan you gotta admire Arsenal. To go to Milan, the San Siro, where a win seemed unlikely given their form and Milan's excellent record at home; a young team against an experienced one - well done, great performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yep. Played really well alright. I admit I only saw the first 60 minutes but from what I saw Adeboyor was one of the worse performers in the side. He constantly mis controlled the ball and gave a few awful passes. The only thing of note he did was hit the bar with a nice shot.

Credit to Flamini, Hleb & Fabregas in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Fantastic stuff from the gonners tonight.To go there and beat the european champions on there home turf is a result that equals liverpool beating Barca at the nou camp last year.Congrats:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Great game..

Almunia 2m
    Sagna 5m
    Gallas -5M
    Senderos 1m
    Clichy 250k
    Diaby 3m
    Fabregas Free
    Flamini 1m
    Eboue 1m
    Ada 5m
    Helb 8m
    Theo 8M

TOTAL - 29.25 MILLION

Makes it all sweeter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I wouldnt get confused between a great game and a great performance.

Great Performance
    Arsenal tonight. Totally outplaying Milan on their own turf tonight. Milan were rubbish, because Arsenal were so good.

Great Game
    Man Utd 4-3 Real Madrid a few years ago.

Theres a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fabregas wasn't free, he was about £2m wasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Great game..

Almunia 2m
    Sagna 5m
    Gallas -5M
    Senderos 1m
    Clichy 250k
    Diaby 3m
    Fabregas Free
    Flamini 1m
    Eboue 1m
    Ada 5m
    Helb 8m
    Theo 8M

TOTAL - 29.25 MILLION

Not a mathematician I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Archimedes wrote: »
    I wouldnt get confused between a great game and a great performance.

Great Performance
    Arsenal tonight. Totally outplaying Milan on their own turf tonight. Milan were rubbish, because Arsenal were so good.

Great Game
    Man Utd 4-3 Real Madrid a few years ago.

Theres a difference.

This was a great game and a great performance. Did you watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great game..

Almunia 2m
    Sagna 5m
    Gallas -5M
    Senderos 1m
    Clichy 250k
    Diaby 3m
    Fabregas Free
    Flamini 1m
    Eboue 1m
    Ada 5m
    Helb 8m
    Theo 8M

TOTAL - 29.25 MILLION

39.25m by your figures.

or 1.3 Ferdinands. Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Flamini was absolutely immense. Outclassed Gattuso. All hail Flattuso :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

World player of the year was quiet enough again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    World player of the year was quiet enough again.

Completely stifled by a combination of Fabregas, Flamini, Sagna and... Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus, he never performs in big matches!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Tusky wrote: »
    39.25m by your figures.

or 1.3 Ferdinands. Impressive.

Gallas was - 5mill :p

1 Veron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Gallas was free, we got £5 million, great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

senderos 10/10?

excellent performance from the majority of the arsenal squad, but Senderos is a nightmare. lucky milan didnt really threaten all night

not taking away from the result though, fair dues to arsenal, hopefully 4 english teams in the 1/4's now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    This was a great game and a great performance. Did you watch it?

Yeah Ronaldo performance was utterly stunning that game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

1 Veron

lol. The sums work. Your total is confusing now though, it look like -29 million (minus 29).

That was the best piece of business ever. Well except maybe the time somebody got Manhattan for some plastic beads...

cooker3 wrote: »
    Yeah Ronaldo performance was utterly stunning that game

What age are you? 12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Good preformace, but this Milan side is 18 points off the pace in Serie A. They're over the hill TBH. However don't think any side will want to draw Arsenal next round. BTW can English teams draw each other next round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eoin2nc wrote: »
    but this Milan side is 18 points off the pace in Serie A. They're over the hill TBH.

Milan finished 36 points behind the leaders in Serie A last season yet they beat the likes of Manu and Liverpool on their way to being European and world champions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Gallas was free, we got £5 million, great deal.

He was saying Gallas was minus 5M;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nunu wrote: »
    He was saying Gallas was minus 5M;)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I only got to see the highlights, will there be a repeat of this on non-sky channels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Flamini. Best DM in the world right now. Nobody can touch him!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

jank wrote: »
    Flamini. Best DM in the world right now. Nobody can touch him!!

Woah woah woah, calm down there now!!!!

I hope you'll all be so kind next week if we do the same to Inter

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Woah woah woah, calm down there now!!!!

I hope you'll all be so kind next week if we do the same to Inter

You dont agree? I suppose mascherano is his equal?:D

The Flamster didnt give Kaka (world player of the year) an inch over 3 hours of football.
    This was no flash in the pan either, he has been doing it all season.

You dont agree? I suppose mascherano is his equal?:D

The Flamster didnt give Kaka (world player of the year) an inch over 3 hours of football.
    This was no flash in the pan either, he has been doing it all season.

His equal? Nope, far superior. Keeping Kaka quiet doesnt seem to be a problem since Masch done it in the CL final last year(Kaka did nothing til Masch went off).

As for better DM's:

Masch
    Hamann
    Yaya Toure
    Mama Diarra
    Hargreaves(as much as it pains me to say it)
    Xavi(if you can call him a DM anymore)

As for better DM's:
    Masch
    Very limited in what he can do. He can barely pass the ball forward and never scores.

Hamann

Too old. Playing for Man City. Says it all

Yaya Toure
    Was on trail at arsenal for ages, Wenger passed him. Seems a handy player though

Mama Diarra
    Is this the same diarra that couldnt break into the arsenal XI

Hargreaves(as much as it pains me to say it)
    Good player alright. Has shown some good perfromances this season. No where as consistent as the flamster

Xavi(if you can call him a DM anymore)
    Definately not a DM as some will compare him to Cesc

I would give you yaya Toure and hargreaves as equals but IMO Flamini has been much more consisten this year then either of them.

Mama Diarra
    Is this the same diarra that couldnt break into the arsenal XI

No, I presume it's Diarra at Madrid?

Yeah Mama is the one at Madrid, signed from Lyon a few years ago.

Flamini has had one good season, he was a joke at Arsenal last year and in years before. Thats why i wouldnt rate him near the worlds best.

Hamann

Too old. Playing for Man City. Says it all

And thats just strange, who cares how old he is or who he plays for? Stephen Ireland plays for City, doesnt mean he's a bad player does it? Paulo Maldini is nearly 39, doesnt mean he's a bad player does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

cson wrote: »
    What age are you? 12?

eh, what?

cooker3 wrote: »
    eh, what?

:D ...this thread is full of misunderstandings.

I know what you were talking about - Ronaldos wonder show, hat-trick etc, for Madrid at Old Trafford years back.

...but you replied to joesoap who was talking about the Arsenal game tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mascherano is clearly alot better than Flamini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Not to dampen the arsenal spirits last night but lets look at things more closely as I get the feeling most commenting here didn't watch the game and certainly don't watch Serie A.
    given their form and Milan's excellent record at home

Milan have won 2 games at home all season and the first of them came just before christmas.

This is also a 60% fit world player of the year playing for the past 3 months with a torn tendon. Kaka shouldn't even be on the pitch but limited resources mean they have no choice.

It was a good performance from Arsenal but lets not jump the gun here it wasn't the epic people are making it out to be. There is a lot of unrest in the Milan camp with talk of Carlo's sacking in the summer rumbling for the past few weeks. The players have not being performing this season and it showed. You can't just turn it on and off at will, if you've been off all year its hard to get it back. Last year they played great in the CL but also have Kaka at his best. This year he is dogged by injury.

The age of the squad has been gradually creeping up and Ancelotti has to take the blame for this. With no huge amount of talent coming through its time for new direction. The squad and style have gone stale under him.

Arsenal are a team on the rise, Milan are one on the decline. I didn't think Arsenal were anything special last night I just thought what we have been saying all season about Milan shone through last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

iregk wrote: »
    Milan have won 2 games at home all season and the first of them came just before christmas.

Oh right so, the 3 games they won at home in the group stages don't count?
    This is also a 60% fit world player of the year playing for the past 3 months with a torn tendon. Kaka shouldn't even be on the pitch but limited resources mean they have no choice.

Of course they had a choice, Arsenal have a lot of players out at the moment and have been unlucky this season in that respect but, van Persie was on the bench tonight which is where Kaka should have been if he was injured!
    It was a good performance from Arsenal but lets not jump the gun here it wasn't the epic people are making it out to be.

What more could you possibly want from a game, I watched it with my friend who supports the Pool and he enjoyed it every bit as much as I did!
    I didn't think Arsenal were anything special last night I just thought what we have been saying all season about Milan shone through last night.

Arsenal were fantastic last night, no question whatsoever! This Milan team ripped through United at home in the semi-final last year and brushed Liverpool aside in the final! They were dangerous tonight and had some decent chances but, the fact remains that the reason they didn't get a result is because Arsenal completely outplayed them, not because they didn't turn up!

You're clearly not an Arsenal fan but, at least try to give an unbiased view!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Yeah Mama is the one at Madrid, signed from Lyon a few years ago.

Flamini has had one good season, he was a joke at Arsenal last year and in years before. Thats why i wouldnt rate him near the worlds best.

Flamini is better RIGHT NOW, not a few years ago
    Anyway Flamini has more to his game than Masch imo (passing and gets the odd goal) and I would choose him in a team over masch at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

jasonorr wrote: »
    Oh right so, the 3 games they won at home in the group stages don't count?

Fair enough I was talking about the league. Still 5 games won at home coming into March. Quality form that.
    Of course they had a choice

Have you seen the Milan squad of late? Out of the league a team in trouble and your only shining light is the CL. Your already down one of your most creative players and you have a serious injury crisis in the striking department. Milan had to play Kaka if even 50% fit. It showed in him last night.
    What more could you possibly want from a game, I watched it with my friend who supports the Pool and he enjoyed it every bit as much as I did!

Where did I say I didn't enjoy it, where did i way it was a crap game. I simply said lets not get carried away here. Arsenal put in a good show against a team thats frankly all over the place at the moment. It wasn't the epic earth rocking show people are making out. Thats what I'm saying and not being a gunners fan has nothing what so ever to do with that.

I'm the one giving the unbiased view here, i'm being realistic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Arsenal played well but that is no great Milan team. 7th in the Italian league and they're past it. Theo Walcott skinned them with pace when he came on and the two goals came late albeit a piece of magic from Fabregas. I wouldn't get too carried away. See who the draw in the next round.

Arsenal put in a good show against a team thats frankly all over the place at the moment. It wasn't the epic earth rocking show people are making out. Thats what I'm saying and not being a gunners fan has nothing what so ever to do with that.

I'm the one giving the unbiased view here, i'm being realistic!!!

But, surely you'll agree that it's the same Milan team that were in the same position last season and went on to win the competition! First English team to beat Milan in the San Siro, eclipses being the first English team to beat the Bernabeau for me! It finished 2-0 but, I felt that they could have scored more and Milan had their chances too, which is why I think it was such a great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SetantaL wrote: »
    Arsenal played well but that is no great Milan team. 7th in the Italian league and they're past it. Theo Walcott skinned them with pace when he came on and the two goals came late albeit a piece of magic from Fabregas. I wouldn't get too carried away. See who the draw in the next round.

Have got to agree with you there.
    The team that Arsenal faced last night was nothing like the team United faced in Semi Finals last year.
    Milan had no composure about themselves at all last night.

SetantaL wrote: »

To be honest, it doesn't matter who we get in the next round! This tie was one of the toughest we could have gotten at this stage, bar maybe Inter who are in better form domestically!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Have got to agree with you there.
    The team that Arsenal faced last night was nothing like the team United faced in Semi Finals last year.
    Milan had no composure about themselves at al last night.

They clearly missed Seedorf but, to spout on about them not being the same team that United faced last year is rubbish!

Ok, lets not get carried away here. It was a good win coupled with a great performance. However, one great performance doesn't win trophies. Its very important Arsenal take some momentum from last nights game and kick on in the League.

cson wrote: »
    Ok, lets not get carried away here. It was a good win coupled with a great performance. However, one great performance doesn't win trophies. Its very important Arsenal take some momentum from last nights game and kick on in the League.

Well that's obvious...I'm not foolish enough to think that just because of last nights result, they are sure to clean up but, I feel it will be a great confidence boost and just what we needed at this stage of the season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Have to disagree with a lot of this.

Firstly, Milan are 5th in Seria A.

This really doesn't mean too much as last year they were off the Seria A pace but won the CL, Liverpool won the bloody thing and finsihed 5th in the PL, and both Liverpool and Arsenal reached the final putting in great performances and knocking out teams like Madrid, Barca and Juve yet finished 4th in the PL.

Secondly, it is largely the same team bar Kaka not being on form.

Thirdly, it wasn't so much Milan's brilliance but Utd's collapse that saw Milan through last year.

If you want to argue about the strength of the Milan team then go ahead but the fact is that Utd were massively dissapointed with their performance there last year.

Arsenal went to the San Siro and were dominant. That's not an easy thing to do and it's something Utd(while having one of their best PL seasons ever) couldn't do.

I'm not trying to knock Utd here, they're a great team but stop trying to pick holes in what was essentially a great performance and a massive achievment - it makes you look bitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement