Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One of the great games

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

jasonorr wrote: »
    They clearly missed Seedorf but, to spout on about them not being the same team that United faced last year is rubbish!

Don't ge me wrong. I thought Arsenal were unbelievable last night.
    But I don't think I'm spouting rubbish saying that it wasn't the same team because it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SantryRed wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. I thought Arsenal were unbelievable last night.
    But I don't think I'm spouting rubbish saying that it wasn't the same team because it wasn't.

But, it was essentially! I mean for someone out of form, Kaka made some amazing runs and passes! But imo, Arsenal played very well which is the only reason Milan didn't look as good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Great result and performance from Arsenal.

This team spanked Utd all over the San Siro last year and beat Liverpool in Athens, for Arsenal to turn them over like they did away from home is a superb result.

****ing begrudgers. Well done Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, amazing result. It's not like Milan collapsed like they've done in the past (2nd half of Istanbul, Deportivo the year before that), they played defensively very well.

As for Flamini, I think he's really come along as a player. Who I'd pick between him and Mascherano is a tough choice. I still can't decide though if Flamini is on a great run of form, or if he has found his new level. As every game goes past, its looking more and more like he's found his new level. I think it's great for him, especially after being left out of the CL final a few years ago harshly I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Melion wrote: »
    Yeah Mama is the one at Madrid, signed from Lyon a few years ago.

Flamini has had one good season, he was a joke at Arsenal last year and in years before. Thats why i wouldnt rate him near the worlds best.

A joke? Sure thats easy to say.
    I can say that liverpool(this is our season) are a joke in the league.

Flamini has always worked his bollox off. Scored some very important goals too (the opener against liverpool when they beat them at home).

He filled in at left back for the Arsenal's CL run of 2005-2006 that now holds the record for going the longest without conceding a goal in the competition.

He is very much a part of the driving force in the midfield. Just watch the full 180 minutes of the milan matchs and you can see that he was head above shoulders everybody on the ptich.

At the end of the day himself and cesc are arguably the best central midfield partnership in world football, right now.

Mascherano is not a bad player by any means, but much too defensive for my liking and a bit limited in what he does on the pitch. If he passes the ball forward or dribbles passed a man id have a stroke! Flamini offers so much more as a box to box player!

And thats just strange, who cares how old he is or who he plays for? Stephen Ireland plays for City, doesnt mean he's a bad player does it? Paulo Maldini is nearly 39, doesnt mean he's a bad player does it?

Maldini is not a bad player but is he the best left back in the world right now?
    He is a legend of course, nobody would dispute that.

Stephen ireland is not a bad player, but would you rather ronaldo or messi?
    We are talking about the best in the world!
    Anyway if haman was so good why did he leave liverpool?

Are you seriously saying mascherano>hamann>flamini? if so i win my case!!:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nothing against Arsenal or Flamini.

But i really do think Masch is the better player. His passing, although hot and cold when he first arrived has since been pretty excellent, and no one reads the game or has an engine like him. brilliant player. Flamini is excellent, but he aint no masch ;) Hamman is class, probably the best of the three of em, but his career is coming to an end and he doesnt really have the legs anymore, top teams need to replace class with class, thats wat liverpool have done with didi and mascherano.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nothing against Arsenal or Flamini.

But i really do think Masch is the better player. His passing, although hot and cold when he first arrived has since been pretty excellent, and no one reads the game or has an engine like him. brilliant player. Flamini is excellent, but he aint no masch ;) Hamman is class, probably the best of the three of em, but his career is coming to an end and he doesnt really have the legs anymore, top teams need to replace class with class, thats wat liverpool have done with didi and mascherano.

Each to their own i suppose. I take the flamster of today over mascherano, anyday!

To the "Milan were passed it brigade" Sour grapes and bitter the lot of ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Excellent result for Arsenal, totally dominated Milan, who have become experts at getting results in the CL despite league form (a bit like pool). However, it was very worrying that it took 84 minutes to turn a dominant performance into a goal, and at that, a goal which the keeper should have saved. But then, if the ball had bounced off eboue's arse to score the goal, it wouldn't have mattered :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnUgvJTE2do

^ A perfect example of Arsenals dominance last night ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

astrofool wrote: »
    But then, if the ball had bounced off eboue's arse to score the goal, it wouldn't have mattered :)
    Don't be silly - on last night's showing, Eboue would have found a way to miss even if he knew nothing about it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Whats the point in all that if theres no end product?

It should have been a free kick, not a penalty. Total joke of a decision

Whats the point in all that if theres no end product?

It should have been a free kick, not a penalty. Total joke of a decision

Eh... the end product was that Hleb was hacked right on the edge of the area. The point of it is that while you have the ball your opponents can't score (unless Frank Sinclair is on your team).

Eh... the end product was that Hleb was hacked right on the edge of the area. The point of it is that while you have the ball your opponents can't score (unless Frank Sinclair is on your team).

End product is a goal, that didnt happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That was a real homer decision to give hleb the yellow. Ref is a bottler.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    That was a real homer decision to give hleb the yellow. Ref is a bottler.

Is that you Eamonn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sure it did, twice;)

How are you supposed to have an end product when you are hacked down on the edge of the box and booked for diving?

The point I was making, through a 2 minute video, is that Arsenals midfield of Diaby, Hleb, Flamini, Fabregas and to a lesser extent Eboue, absolutely dominated Milans midfield and kept possession so comfortably that Milan rarely had a chance on goal after about the 20th minute. The reason there was no end product in the first half is Kalac's great save and Fabregas hit the crossbar. In the second half, Arsenal continued to dominate and scored twice.

Now, what is your point exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Is that you Eamonn?

Sure tis, bill.

How are you supposed to have an end product when you are hacked down on the edge of the box and booked for diving

Generally the free is given the other way!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fair play to Arsenal. Great performanceby them and they totally deserved to win it. As much as a great performance it was, they havent won anything yet (like Man Utd over Roma last year). Now lets see if they can continue and actually win a trophy this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SantryRed wrote: »
    Have got to agree with you there.
    The team that Arsenal faced last night was nothing like the team United faced in Semi Finals last year.
    Actually it was very like the one United played against, the only changes being Kalac in for Dida, Maldini in for Jankulovski and Pato in for Seedorf. Unless you're suggesting that in the space of 10 months Milan have declined from a side that could rip Man United apart to one that can barely play football?
    Milan had no composure about themselves at all last night.
    Which was largely down to them having little time on the ball on the rare occasions when they had it.

Them goalposts, they're always a movin.

Always moving :) Good teams don't just play **** because they feel like it. Normally it's because of something the oppossition do (although of course, sometimes teams just play ****)

Arsenal didn't go from being absolutely players against United in the FA Cup to absolutely amazing players against Milan in the CL. It was about the systems!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is 'systems' dictionary.com word of the day or something?

I've been doing political systems analysis for the last 3 weeks, the word is stuck in my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

To be fair A.C had been on top until that point. That was Arsenals first real period of dominance.

I think the A.C team is in big trouble. They are all at the end of their careers. I cant believe they haven't been bringing in young talent to replace the likes of Seedorf, Gattuso, Pirlo, Maldini...

They never really replaced Crespo or Shevshenko either.

Those people who worship Milan when they beat us and don't give credit to Arsenal now that they beat them, and start the same old ****e, Milan is ****e, old etc ... are pathetic two face *****. Just simply pathetic.

Every year, the lads on here always go "bring on Real, Milan, Barca ..." then go out to them, they start praising how great those teams were this year, and next year they believe we've been much better, and would definitely beat those team if we meet them again. Yet, when Arsenal or Liverpool play them off the park and win, these team are instanly ****, old, bottlers ...

If anything United fans in Europe sounds exactly like Liverpool fans in the league.

I'm really happy that we won today, but these ***** are annoying really

The above quote taken from another forum, yes a Man united one!:)
    A good rant i must say and i agree with alot of it, as much of this thread has proven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

lol that is actually true(Man Utd fan here)

A lot of people wrote Arsenal off for that match but I had a feeling they would come good and it seemed from the highlights like a top class performance

I'm so happy that Arsenal beat Milan. I think we've a good shot to beat Arsenal over 2 legs, but I can't see us beating Milan. As such, I'm extremely happy :)

PHB wrote: »
    I'm so happy that Arsenal beat Milan. I think we've a good shot to beat Arsenal over 2 legs, but I can't see us beating Milan. As such, I'm extremely happy :)

Dont let the 4-0 in the Mickey Mouse Cup fool you. If Arsenal played like they did last night they will beat anybody!

Ill wait for the final sure.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not suggesting that Arsenal will be an easy game, I'm just saying I don't think we could beat Milan at all, but Arsenal we can beat.

Arsenal v Man Utd would be an epic battle. Probably a scoreless, miss-all-the-penalties affair after Sky built it up so much.

Advertisement