Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to stop smoke

Options
  • 04-03-2008 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

my friend has a diesel almera and when its cold it blows out black smoke and has also failed the nct due to high emmissions. is it true if you put in unused cooking oil this reduces the emmissions and amount of smoke

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

These are great for stopping any smoking
    nicorette.jpg

:D

What year is the Almera? He could try running through a few engine/ throttle bay cleaners, or before the nct, whore it around it 2nd gear for a while..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Black smoke is a sing of too much diesel or not enough air, not familiar with this car, is it a turbo?
    Has the air filter being changed? if turbo is there a leaking turbo pipe?
    Has some wise guy previously 'tuned' the car by screwing up the pump?
    Could also be a air mass meter or charge pressure sensor astray..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

antodeco wrote: »
    whore it around it 2nd gear for a while..
    +1

More than likely soot, which ^^ will clear out. Common enough problem with diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

antodeco wrote: »
    whore it around it 2nd gear for a while..

Yep, drive the ring out of the car for a while before the test..an Italian tune up ;)
    Change the airfilter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

slideways wrote: »
    Black smoke is a sing of too much diesel or not enough air, not familiar with this car, is it a turbo?
    Has the air filter being changed? if turbo is there a leaking turbo pipe?
    Has some wise guy previously 'tuned' the car by screwing up the pump?
    Could also be a air mass meter or charge pressure sensor astray..

^^

As above. a new air filter can work wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a good service will do wonders.

I'd also second (or 5th as it looks to be) changing of filters (all 3 fuel/air/oil) and an oil change wouldn't hurt and is cheap enough to do.

putting veg oil in could cause more problems than it solves. there's only certain engines that run well on veg oil and his probably isn't one of them, especially if it's a DCi/common rail diesel engine, which if it was made after 96/97 it most likely is.

there's plenty of fuel cleaners/improvers in the likes of Halfords which will help emissions come service time, also a fivers worth of petrol on an almost full tank (but no more than 5-10%) would help too. stay off the veggie though unless you've done lots of research and know 100% that it will run well on it (which as I said, his almera most likely won't).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'd also second (or 5th as it looks to be) changing of filters (all 3 fuel/air/oil) and an oil change wouldn't hurt and is cheap enough to do
    ...and drive to the NCT centre in 3rd gear! ;)

or maybe even second. ;)

or as someone once said to me when talking about thrashing an engine to clear it out, "drive it like you stole it". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Get a bottle of 44K fuel system cleaner and run it neat through the engine. That will clean everything out.

someone on another site said that whenever they go for an MOT, they change their fuel filter and then pour a full bottle of one of those fuel system cleaners undiluted straight into the new filter before fitting it, then bleed the rest of the air out before starting her up.

smokes like a mofo for about 5 minutes, but after that it's as clean as a whistle.

that's a pajero tho, not sure if the same thing would work as well on an almera but i don't see any reason why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

vibe666 wrote: »
    someone on another site said that whenever they go for an MOT, they change their fuel filter and then pour a full bottle of one of those fuel system cleaners undiluted straight into the new filter before fitting it, then bleed the rest of the air out before starting her up.

smokes like a mofo for about 5 minutes, but after that it's as clean as a whistle.

that's a pajero tho, not sure if the same thing would work as well on an almera but i don't see any reason why not.

Yep, that's what I did. Just pull a fuel line off the fuel filter and put it into the can of 44K. Start up the car and let it suck the cleaner out of the can. Stop the engine before it empties the can though to avoid getting air in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it's the older generation almera with the 2.0d, the engine is pretty much the same as the one that was in my old primera except the primera had a turbo. The fuel filter should be located on the bulkhead beneath the windscreen on the passenger side. There is a water trap with a sensor on the bottom, make sure the connector for the sensor is unplugged before trying to remove the filter. Drain the old filter, remove the water trap, fit it to the new filter, fill the new filter with a bottle of injector cleaner, if one bottle isn't nough to fill the filter, top it up with diesel (not the stuff you drained from the old filter). Fit the new filter. Start the engine up, it may stutter a tiny bit but then you'll get a cloud of white smoke which should clear fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I' sorry but puttin fuel conditioner neat into an engine is not a bright idea.
    The crowd that make it say put it into a full tank for a reason.. it has no lubricant properties and the tolerances in a diesel pump are tiny.
    Put some into a 1/4 tank if ya want. TBH if it is smokey there is prob something wrong with it. Get it checked out and if it has a timing belt make sure it has been changed and done properly before you get your nct, if it snaps during the smoke test it [nelson muntz] ha ha [/nelson muntz] from the nct centre

Advertisement