Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bad cars

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hyundai Santa Fe and Accent recent models. cheap and very nasty...:eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah, my mother in law had a 02 Mitsubishi Colt (the previous generation model with that pointless spoiler :p) and the stalks were the wrong way round.
    In fairness to the Colt at least they looked nice for the 253 years that particular model was available. Reliable as well. I'd say they were one of Mitsubishi's better cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    My 1974 Ford Capri has the indicator stalk on the right! It makes much more sense!
    I agree. AFAIK the EU standardised them without consideration for the RHD countries. Probably a French thing to annoy the Brits I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

My mam's petrol, auto Nissan x-trail. Its a fair dog to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JHMEG wrote: »
    I agree. Probably a French thing to annoy the Brits I suspect.
    :D Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

worst car I ever owned was a Volvo 480es......deadful. Next was a 88 freelander...it imploded after 30k...electrics...bearings....pure crap.

The best for weekends was a 993 911 c4s....why i sold it i'll never know. Best machine now is a toyota amazon. it does what it says on the tin....and never has given trouble. Previous one we put 380k on.....it's still going hacking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bearcat wrote: »
    worst car I ever owned was a Volvo 480es......deadful. Next was a 88 freelander...it imploded after 30k...electrics...bearings....pure crap.

The best for weekends was a 993 911 c4s....why i sold it i'll never know. Best machine now is a toyota amazon. it does what it says on the tin....and never has given trouble. Previous one we put 380k on.....it's still going hacking around.

Was there a freelander available in 88?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Biro wrote: »
    Was there a freelander available in 88?

No, I reckon he means '98. Typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Max_Damage wrote: »
    No, I reckon he means '98. Typo.

sorry typo error....1998 freelander i meant......it was pure sh@te. The new one is a totally different machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

95 Astra 1.4....absolute dog of a car. I've been IN worse cars but that's the worst I've driven myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bearcat wrote: »
    sorry typo error....1998 freelander i meant......it was pure sh@te. The new one is a totally different machine.

Funny, I drove one too and was completely underwhelmed by it. And all the journalists seemed to love it when it came out. I couldn't find much good about it, pure dog of a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

86 rover 213s what a balladung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I will second the Ford Orion. I had an 1989, for 9 months. in that time the speedo went ,never knew what speed I was going, and the starter always seemed to be sticking, but at the time I did not know what the problem was only found out a few years agao that it was the starter. Keeped sticking in the engaged mode, horrible sound and smell. turn it off and leave it for a while and it would appear to be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

1992 nissan sunny , jap import, you could run it over with a monster truck , burn and shoot it and it would still go but the gearbox is rubbish , it rusts like no tomarrow and the clutch seems to be made by fait...

but then again the isuzu gemini ( basically an opel kadett ) was no gem either but a rwd set-up made it fun.... untill you tryed to fix the bugger.

ford crap-ri - mates car , 1970's icon which handles rubbish , no power at all and did i mention the rust ?? thank god there all nearly gone. :(

my dad had a VW bettle 1300 about 4-5 years ago... id rather try convince gay byrne that drugs are bad then drive another !!

also my mother had a renault 19 turbo... man that car ate more turbos then i can big mac's in 1 sitting ( 14 big macs.... )

but my uncles hillman munter is the winner, though even today its too fast for modern roads , its had verything replaced 5-10 over.... even the chasis got replaced !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I learned to drive in that car. I also learned to drive without a clutch, without brakes. The final drive even went (the splined shaft that delivers engine power to the roadwheels), so every time I went over a bump or a hump it would lose all power). The alternator failed soon after I bought it and the battery died as a consequence. Then the clutch began to slip badly. What a heap of sh1te. It was a hideous looking car, too.

.........hah !

I was trying to think of my own experiences and that brought it back. My friend had one of those Metro's and it had the same problem, his was worse though............it was an automatic !!

Every time the front suspension unloaded, say over a crest, the driveshaft splines would shriek !!

It was hateful. I think the kickdown switch was wired to the revcounter, you kick it down and the revs rose by 2000, yet it didn't go any faster !!

Having worked in the trade its hard to recall the dogs but there were many. An Opel Kadett D 1.6 Diesel van, with soggy carpets and an exhaust that rattled incurably, that I had to deliver across town, was truely memorable.

I also recall an AlfaSud, the facelift one that was, well just bloody akward to drive, long arms and short legged driving position.

Then there was a rusty Datsun Laurel that I drove to Hammond Lane, I nearly fell through the floor of that one !

The most hateful modern car was a brand new Carisma.I used to sell them and drove plenty of new ones. They had decent engines but the trim was so dreadfully cheap, even worse than most Mitsubishis of the time. The whole car just looked like it had been de-specced to a low price. I recall telling the MD of Mitsubishi ireland that fact at the car launch. He didn't take it too well !

Reliable car though, my Dad had one for 4 years and not even a bulb went!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

S.I.R wrote: »
    ford crap-ri - mates car , 1970's icon which handles rubbish , no power at all and did i mention the rust ?? thank god there all nearly gone. :(

:mad: Can't agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

S.I.R wrote: »

but my uncles hillman munter is the winner, though even today its too fast for modern roads

What does this mean?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

cjt156 wrote: »
    What does this mean?:confused:

To the best of my memory the Hunter couldn't go around corners and the handling was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Going back a bit, but it has to be a Lada Riva belonging to my late grandfather - weighed about 2 tons, no power steering, rubbish brakes, clunky 4 speed gearbox and a very soft suspension. It had maybe 40 bhp on a good day. Ah the memories <shudder>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Edscape

As a mechanic from the late 60s - early 70s I am eminently qualified to comment on this question. Here is my list of all-time worst cars.

Fiat (fix it again tomorrow) 128 also Yugo, 600D, Fiat 1100 R, 127, 850, Ritmo, Punto, Brava, Strada.
    Lada (all models)
    Polski (fiat 1500 engine)
    Alfasud (all models) inaccessible plugs.
    Skoda Estelle.
    Lada (all models)
    Skoda Estelle.
    VW Beetle, 411LE.
    Ford Cortina 1300 MK111
    Austin Allegro, Maestro, Princess 70s model, !800, Maxi.
    Hillman Imp, Avenger, Hunter, Rapier 1750TC,
    Morris Marina, Ital (same car).
    Ford Zephyr and Zodiac (70s models V4)
    NSU Prinz 850(breeze blocks under the bonnet) .
    Trabant.
    Triumph Stag, Dolomite, 1300, Toledo, TR7
    Renault R8, 12, 4L, 6, Dauphine
    Vauxhall Victor, VX 490,
    Peugeot 204 (round the corner fanbelt!!!) WTF
    Citroen Dyane-6, Citroen GS, Citroen BX,
    Daf 33 Luxe,
    Matra Simca Rancho
    Simca 1000
    Talbot Horizon, Solara,
    Nissan Laurel (40k head gasket, every one went between cylinders 5 and 6)
    VW Beetle, 411LE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Volvo 340 - positively depressing!

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/prof_300.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

joolsveer wrote: »
    To the best of my memory the Hunter couldn't go around corners and the handling was very poor.

go around most corners now a days you hav e abs and traction controll to help you

in the Hunter , you have a 1600cc engine which is good for 100 or so....

needless to say its basically a triumph dolomight so when you go sideways you need " the stig " like skills to control it.... hence why most of them ended up going backwards into walls at 40+ :rolleyes:
    maidhc wrote: »
    :mad: Can't agree!

thats your choice but for a 3.0 laser engine... my pug 106 beats it to 60 and onto 89 mph ( max speed i can get from the 1 liter with its 4 speed... lol i know )

but yeah im happy to see them all rust away , safe in the thought that i won't have memorys of trying to get it to go fast but it just wouldn't.... the only fun thing about them is putting them sideways into walls :rolleyes:

Advertisement