Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot 101

• 04-03-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭

Okay, this is probably a stupid question but just in terms of bacteria and so on:
    I live on my own so if I cook a turkey joint with enough veg for one, am I okay to use the juices to cook more veg for the next portion of meat (which won't be reheated) the next day. Should I drain them into a container or are they okay to stay in the pan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not a stupid question at all. But why not make gravy with the juices off the pan & reheat it with your next dinner? Maybe I'm missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Probably best to put them into a container and put in the fridge. I'd say they would last 2-3 days like this.

You could also freeze them and use them another day if you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My last attempt at gravy was a bit of a disaster Hill billy. Thanks for info and thanks too to olaola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Easiest gravy ever:

Put 4 teaspoons of original Bisto into a mug. Add a couple of teaspoons of water and mix thoroughly to a smooth paste with no lumps. Gradually fill the mug to the top with cold water and stir to create a smooth, lump-free, thin liquid.

Meanwhile, put your meat juices into a saucepan. Add your bisto-mixture to the saucepan and turn up the heat. Stir thoroughly until it just boils, then reduce the heat immediately and stir well until you've got a dark, smooth liquid. If it is too thick, add a little water and stir well. A glug of red wine in here too is nice if you are eating red meat, but honestly I think it is perfectly delicious on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Easiest gravy ever:

Put 4 teaspoons of original Bisto into a mug. Add a couple of teaspoons of water and mix thoroughly to a smooth paste with no lumps. Gradually fill the mug to the top with cold water and stir to create a smooth, lump-free, thin liquid.

Meanwhile, put your meat juices into a saucepan. Add your bisto-mixture to the saucepan and turn up the heat. Stir thoroughly until it just boils, then reduce the heat immediately and stir well until you've got a dark, smooth liquid. If it is too thick, add a little water and stir well. A glug of red wine in here too is nice if you are eating red meat, but honestly I think it is perfectly delicious on its own.

That's the way my Mammy makes it! She adds in the same amount of flour in too. Never fails :) And I use the water from the veg I've just cooked.

• Advertisement

I take a slightly different tack by removing the meat from the roasting tray to rest. (Cover with foil if you like.)
    If I feel that I need the ol’ ‘Bisto Boost’ is needed I sprinkle the required amount over the tray & then add the recommended amount of boiling water.
    I then stick the tray on the hob & scrape the bejaysus out of the bottom to get the extra flavoursome bits into the gravy.
    If you want a smooth velvety gravy with no bits – put it through a sieve before you serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

From time to time I make it "properly" without the bisto (using flour, seasonings, stock and wine) - but it never tastes as good or as comforting to me.

To be honest – The only one that I religiously make from scratch (without Bisto & the like) is my turkey gravy at Christmas. Life’s too short – especially when you have the hungry Billy clan baying for their dinner & yours truly is the only one who wants gravy. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When I was a kid, my Mum just used Bisto, no juices from the pan etc., but I remember it tasting lovely. Now though, it just tastes flavourless to me, has it changed?

If I'm not doing a roast or something I can't make a gravy with (like a chicken breast/pork chop) I use Erin Gravy Rich. Add a glug of red wine/spoon of wholegrain mustard/spoon of honey/grated ginger... endless possibilities for a quick sauce. Yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just recently started using the Anthony Worral Thompson stock/gravy concentrates and they're pretty damn tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Great thread on gravy, but the OP wants to know if the cooking juices need to be refrigerated or not.

To the OP... Definatly yes to putting the juices in the fridge, just make sure that the juices are cool enough before you put them in.

p.s. Great thread on Gravy by the way, oh did I mention that already?

Advertisement