Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Citroen C5 Prices!

Options
  • 04-03-2008 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just took a look at the UK Citroen Website. Prices and specs have been published for the new C5. It seems very expensive over in the UK. Presumably will be over here as well.

Example: C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive 138bhp £19,995. Co2 emmission's 189

The equivalent Passat : 2.0Tdi Highline 140bhp £19,720. Co2 emmission's 156.

What are Citroen thinking?

The spec can be viewed at the following:

www.citroen.co.uk/newc5/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK 1.6 HDi will be sub €30k here. Whether that includes the Exclusive version remains to be seen.

1.6 HDi = 149 g/km for the saloon version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

crosstownk wrote: »
    1.6 HDi = 149 g/km for the saloon version.

I've noticed that CO2 figures for the C5 are quite high. The 2.0 140bhp Mazda 6 diesel achieves 149 g/km. so the 110bhp C5 compares quite badly.

Says it all really...

I think the problem might be weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford are introducing a lower Co2 version of that 1.6 HDi engine in the new Focus soon.

Surely Citroen/Peugeot can produce a similar result as they build the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I would consider the C5 if it was priced aggressively, and at that there is still a leap of faith involved. If they get greedy and price it too high forget it, there are too many other excellent cars in this class.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ford are introducing a lower Co2 version of that 1.6 HDi engine in the new Focus soon.

Surely Citroen/Peugeot can produce a similar result as they build the engine.

Are you comparing the 110bhp versions of the engine? Also the Focus is smaller and (I suspect) significently lighter...

That figure quoted by the OP for the 20HDi (189) can't be right though can it ?!?? That's DREADFUL!!! That would push it into Band E. The Mazda 6/new Accord diesels are in Band C!! This will have a significent impact on tax & VRT.

The C5 was conceived before the CO2/environmental issue really hotted up though - after all it is based on the 407, right? It's probably too bloody heavy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pburns wrote: »
    Are you comparing the 110bhp versions of the engine? Also the Focus is smaller and (I suspect) significently lighter...

Yes. granted the Focus is lighter but it uses the same 1.6 HDi engine found in the C5. Ford are introducing a more efficent environmentally kinder version of the same engine to the Focus range soon. The point I was trying to make was that surely Citroen who design and produce that engine have the ability to make similar changes to the engine for the C5, etc. While it will not achieve the same results as the Focus due to weight differences surely the ability to make this engine more environmentally friendly is available. The question is why Citroen are not going down this road starting with the new C5, especially with diesel sales on the Continent being so strong these days?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes. granted the Focus is lighter but it uses the same 1.6 HDi engine found in the C5. Ford are introducing a more efficent environmentally kinder version of the same engine to the Focus range soon. The point I was trying to make was that surely Citroen who design and produce that engine have the ability to make similar changes to the engine for the C5, etc. While it will not achieve the same results as the Focus due to weight differences surely the ability to make this engine more environmentally friendly is available. The question is why Citroen are not going down this road starting with the new C5, especially with diesel sales on the Continent being so strong these days?

Making this engine more efficent might involve lower bhp or some other drivability compromise. Putting a 1.6 engine in such a big car is a stretch as it is.

I don't think this is entirely down to the engine any-which-way. Like i said WEIGHT, WEIGHT, WEIGHT... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Well it looked like a nice car and worth looking at in the pics. Having seen these prices .. i think i would steer clear.
    That said.... usually citroen advertised prices were not what you actually payed... which helped in no small part to create dreadful residual values.
    I had hoped they would come in and aggressively price the car and have small cash discounts. I sometimes wonder at the management that run these companies. Are they not aware that citroen do not have the best name for reliability and resale values ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I can really see Citroen Ireland making a balls of this. Renault went in with very aggressive pricing on the new Laguna as they new they were up against some serious competition and had an image problem. Ditto the C5. If they price the car too high they will succeed in turning a golden opportunity to take market share into a seriously missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

am i missing something with the unmistakable german in the top left hand corner and whats the crack with all the german stuff.

• Advertisement

I can really see Citroen Ireland making a balls of this. Renault went in with very aggressive pricing on the new Laguna as they new they were up against some serious competition and had an image problem. Ditto the C5. If they price the car too high they will succeed in turning a golden opportunity to take market share into a seriously missed opportunity.

Yeah but if high CO2 figure lump the 110bhp version into the same VRT bracket as 140 bhp rivals and push the 2.0 diesel a full 2 bands above it's competitors (from C to E) there's not much Citroen ireland can do is there? The car is just gonna be taxed much heavier and therefore uncompetitive. Blame PSA and their penny-pinching platform sharing.

Alfa are reducing weight on the facelifted 159 and Mazda have done a tremendous job of reducing CO2 levels for thew new 6 - most of it due to lighter weight. I'm beinging to sound like a zealot for weight reduction - maybe i am - a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Pricing it at Passat money is a bad tactic(especially as the Passat has greener engines). And pre July, the 1.6 HDi also has the advantage of being in the 25% VRT category, compared to most of it's rivals which are stuck in the 30% category. It will never hold it's value like the Passat. What they should do is price it well, copy things like what Ford have done like refuse sales to rental car companies(Ford in the UK turned down 15,000 hire car sales in a bid to try and increase the fortunes of the Mondeo's depreciation), and none of the mad discounts like they did in the old one.

Advertisement