Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Taken for 2 days...........

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I was collecting my child from school the other day and over heard a woman saying that her dog had been taken out of her back garden and then brought back 2 days later after being neotored. Has anyone else heard anything like this??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

Oh my goodness sounds like the sort of thing an animal rights activist would do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Sound's a bit far fetched, I don't think any rescue group would do this so maybe an individual did. Either way, at least he got neutered, which should have been done by his owner anyway. although if anything would have happened to him in the meantime it wouldn't have been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

I'm with Kerrysgold on this one,I don't think a rescue GROUP would do this,but there are some pretty weird individuals involved in rescue who might.Some can act as if they're the 'Voice of God' sometimes and get pretty militant about it too! I can imagine a few scenarios that would fit this bizarre occurance but it depends on the gender of the dog.If it's a bitch AND it has had pups-1] The pups were carelessly homed and ended up in rescue.A seriously misguided individual from the rescue,in the belief that prevention is superior to cure, has whipped the dog out,done the deed and then brought it back.The logic against that scenario is that anyone crazy enough to do that in the name of rescue would be crazy enough to 'finish the rescue' and rather than return the dog,rehome it. Scenario 2] Someone from the owner's family has,in the absence of support for neutering from the primary carer for the bitch,has taken matters into their own hands.Logic against-the high risk of discovery in the TWO days the dog was missing,vets don't keep them in that long.Scenario 3] Here's what I think happened.The dog is a male.There's a dog loving person in the area with a purebred bitch who has recently had a litter of pups that are NOT pure,but were sired by this dog.Rather than make a fuss the owner of the bitch decided to put an end to the Lothario's romantic career.PERMANENTLY!Being a dog lover,and possibly a friend of the owner, once the deed was done the dog was returned.Mystery solved,Inspector Clouseau rides again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Sound's a bit far fetched.

alien-abduction-lamp.jpg

I agree, but stranger things have happened.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Never heard of that but as long as the dog was not mistreated in the process it's be a good thing right??No having to pay the vet or the hassle of having to look after it on the first night it gets back.A tad bit strange though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

emsy g wrote: »
    Never heard of that but as long as the dog was not mistreated in the process it's be a good thing right??No having to pay the vet or the hassle of having to look after it on the first night it gets back.A tad bit strange though...

Unless it was a pure bred and it's offspring was worth 1000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If it was a purebred and it's offspring were worth thousands and it were being left in a circumstance that someone could take it like that, then the people deserved to have it happen to them.

Just because something is purebred doesn't mean that someone should be breeding from it, it may not be a very good example of the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If it was a purebred and it's offspring were worth thousands and it were being left in a circumstance that someone could take it like that, then the people deserved to have it happen to them.

Just because something is purebred doesn't mean that someone should be breeding from it, it may not be a very good example of the breed.

Eh... most dogs are left in situations where they can be taken by a criminal. It doesn't mean they deserved to have it happen to them.

The second point is true obviously (my own dog is the perfect example) but it's not up to anybody else to decide whether someone should get their dog neutered. *Unless for medical reasons/law.

I would not condone things like this happening, although I wish there were a law requiring pet dogs to be neutered - unless there is a good reason not to. Obviously the correct way to do things is to talk to the owner and persuade them to do it.

Yes there are lots of dogs left in situations where they could be stolen, this is not ideal either. But, my point here is, there are not many breeds that the pups aer worth thousands, most are worth a few hundred and the cost of producing any pups is usually more than the money charged for them.

If you have a rare breed where the pups are worth thousands and you leave it in your garden where it can be taken, then you should consider yourself (and the dog) lucky that all that happened was it was neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oh, someone tresspasses on your property and you deserve it?..

• Advertisement

Only in the same context as if you leave a 42" flat screen telly visible in your house with the front door wide open, most people won't have a lot of sympathy for you when it gets stolen.

well i dunno,i don't agree with a dog being taken away without the owner knowing,i would be very worried if that happened to me BUT unless you intend to breed the animal it should be neutered/spayed,if you do intend to breed then you should have potential buyers ready and waiting,i know of afew people who have bred some beautiful dogs and thankfully the bitch only had 3 pups,they were never sold and now the owner has to deal with 4 large alsations,other people may not have bothered keeping these dogs and this is how you end up with all these unwanted homeless neglected animals,if you are going to breed then use your noggin,very few animals should be left un neutered/spayed,both of the dogs i have are crossbreeds and abandoned/abused and have suffered serious neglect,i can't take anymore as i don't have the room,it's so sad to see these animals all scruffy and smelly drinking from puddles on the road in the freezing cold,why can't people just think about it that way and use common sense,not neutered?then keep them on the lead and give them a tone of exercise,also have a secure back garden so they can't get out and a padlock on the inbside so noone can get in and interfere with your animals or property,protect them if you care about them,they are not supposed to be money makers they are supposed to be your companion,your company and your new best friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Excellent post Emsy!

Toulouse wrote: »
    Excellent post Emsy!

why thankyou toulouse :) hopefully other people will agree too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Pity they're not doing this with skangers, the ones hanging around the Abbey St Luas stop seem to have multiplied.

I'm of the firm opinion that the statement "if you can't afford them, then don't have them" should apply equally to children as well as pets.

Advertisement