Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respite for the Deaf

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have recently become responsible for my deaf sister who now resides with us full-time. I am absolutely horrified to see that any HSE assisted workshop or anything for over 18 deaf does not exist!
    We were directed to St. Michael's House as she desperate needs to get out of the house and be given something to do during the day but nobody seems to understand that you cannot "lump" in, which they are doing, deaf people with handicapped people for the very obvious reason that the deaf, who do not rely on signing, lip read and therefore cannot communicate or more importantly, these people don't have sign. Deaf people have a right to communicate. If they couldn't walk, they'd be given a wheelchair:(

Temporary respite, AGAIN, is for the broadspectrum mentally disabled where she has been put.

Is there anything for deaf people that I've missed? or anything in the offing that I could contribute to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Are there any specific reasons why you or she is not considering employment? There are many Deaf people in regular jobs, using appropriate technology or other supports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

No offence but I'm not sure why you would feel the need for a respite service for someone who is simply deaf? Respite is typically for the carers of a disabled person.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

No offence but I'm not sure why you would feel the need for a respite service for someone who is simply deaf? Respite is typically for the carers of a disabled person.
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danielle2home

Txs but I asked for advice or information, not comments on whether I need respite. She is obviously not simply deaf, otherwise we wouldn't qualify for respite or she'd be in employment.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well since you didn't state any additional issues it's not surprising you got the answers you got now is it.

To at least give you an idea of some of the respite services I've used :
    • John of Gods (they offer a variety of services from day care to respite), we use one in dublin and a day school in drogheda.
    • Jack and Jill (up to the age of 4, so its not applicable to you), They offer financing to get nursing cover at home.
    • HSE, yes they do offer financing towards nursing cover (depends on the disability and who's liaising with them)

Its a topic which is worth a sticking perhaps, maybe one of the mod's would see to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Txs but I asked for advice or information, not comments on whether I need respite. She is obviously not simply deaf, otherwise we wouldn't qualify for respite or she'd be in employment.:mad:
    Why didn't you state that then? You implied by your thread title and original post that her issues were merely related to her deafness.

People can only give information, or help based on the details you provide them with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danielle2home

Txs but again none of you have read my actual question - which is about respite specifically for deaf people. The degree of handicap does not apply not matter. Deaf people have a right to be able to communicate and not feel inferior in respite homes. Tnk you for your reply Hellfire but unfortunately again this is not deaf related.

If there are no deaf respite places, then anybody out there who is reading this thread and actually has deaf relatives - have they approached anybody or who would you approach or is there a campaign I can lend a hand do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Danniella2home banned indefinetly from this forum for sending very abusive pm to moderator and for flaming. Please read charter forums for future reference if your reading this not signed in.

Advertisement