Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend contemporary Irish music with a trad twist for my French friends

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

I'm heading over to France to visit some old flatmates of mine. They've asked me to bring some 'Irish music'. I was considering the new Ham Sandwich album, but then they specified that they wanted something a bit more readily irish-themed, and mentioned that when they were in Dublin they liked Kila.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Saw the thread title and was just gonna recommend some Kila but you got there before me damn...

Tóg é go Bog É is a goodun if you need an album recommendation.

Planxty is a good bet if you need something more trad-y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Kila is always the first choice, but you can't go wrong with Afro Celt Soundsystem either... Volume:2 especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

B*Witched. They even talk in french sometimes, so it won't be much of a depature for them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

Ah yes... B*Witched... Surely their reunion tour is on the horizon?

I think I'll go with the Afro-celt Soundsystem suggestion- good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Horslips?

Maybe even some Sharon Shannon for more trad based stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

Check out Flook. They make beautiful contemporary irish folk music. Lovely sligo style with whistles and strings. They are based in London and have won some prestigious awards. And not an accordian in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

If you think they might like heavier music - Waylander, Cruachan and Mael Mordha are great Trad Metal Bands.

Advertisement