Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just bought a 06 Toyota Corolla and was promised 12 months warranty. when I came home with the car the forms i signed for change of ownership stated the warranty was up-to 12 months or 100,000 km which ever came soonest. nearly 80,000kms on it already and i am a taxi driver so I will have the 20,000km up in no time. Any suggestions on what come back I have as salesman offered me 12 months but I signed the contract...i know should have read it first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The garage may be offering a 12 month warranty seperate to the Toyota warranty. Did you tell them that you'd be taxiing in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Toyota warranty is 3 years or 100000km from new. doesn't sound like the garage were giving you any warranty of their own. you don't have any comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

Yes they knew it was a Taxi but some ones word means nothing these days.Well in the end they will be the loser as they have lost a customer and being a Taxi driver I will let others know about this garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it'd be unusual for a garage to give a taxi a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty, nonetheless the salesman shouldn't have misled you about the warranty. but at the same time you should have read the order form before signing it or handing over any cash.
    Take comfort in the fact that a Corolla is unlikely to give you bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bad news for you, I reckon legally whats on the contract is what you get.

Only comeback would be if you have something in writing, advertising the car that you bought as "x" and the fine print in the contract said "y" and you were deliberately misled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep sounds like you got the balance of the manufacturer's original warranty rather than the dealer's used car warranty. Works out better for the dealer as Toyota will pick up the bill for any warranty work rather than the dealer.

From what you are saying it sounds like the salesman was a bit economical with the truth rather than intentionally misleading you. Always good advice though to read and understand what your getting before signing on the dotted line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

12months or 80k isnt bad for a garage warrenty especially if they knew it was to be a taxi, they usually give less warrenty for taxi's,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

is the warranty not for 12 months or 100,000km from the date you bought it?

i.e. the warranty lasts 12 months or until the car hits 180,000km?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Never mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

Thanks folks for all your replies very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You were never going to get a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty on a taxi. It would be madness to give you that on a used car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

bought a 2 year old rav4 a few years ago. I got the 3 years or 100K warranty + but they also gave a further 12 month unlimited warranty for when that expired.

Its a specific toyota used car warranty that they give on toyota used cars. ring your guys as i think there is maybe a mix up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Riskymove wrote: »
    is the warranty not for 12 months or 100,000km from the date you bought it?

i.e. the warranty lasts 12 months or until the car hits 180,000km?

Just to clear things as the way I see it:
    • The original Toyota warranty is 3 years or 100,000km from the date the car was bought brand new.
    • The OP's car is a 2006 with 80,000km on the clock. So the balance of the Toyota warranty still left is 1 year or 20,000km which ever comes first.
    • The dealer himself has most likely not given the OP a used car warranty as the balance of the Toyota warranty still remains. So the start date of the warranty is still the first date of registration not the date the OP bought the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

A taxi driver buying a 2yr old car with 80,000kms on it for taxiiing???

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

most i ever got on a car that was to be a taxi was three months .garages cover their ass with covering taxis but in saying that i bought a three year old nissan and one of the cam chains went just after the warranty was up .1600 euro to fix and fair play to the garage they done the job foc and gave me a replacement car [not a taxi mind] .guess where im going for my next car

Advertisement