Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem and Wireless router

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

At the moment I have a modem connected to a wireless router. I have BT broadband. I can access the internet. But both of them have DHCP running (which I didn't think you could do) and I can't get NAT working. Does anyone know how exactly I should correctly have the network setup?

The wireless router has an IP of 10.0.0.1. My laptop has been given 10.0.0.2. My modem is 192.168.1.1.

What should be running DHCP and what IP addresses should I set the modem and wireless router to etc.?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I take it you are using your Wireless router as an access point as such just you can go on the internet wirelessly.
    The wireless router should have an option to set it to Access Point mode only - this will turn off DHCP on it I would imagine. I'm guessing it has a switch built into it where you can plug in other devices. You could plug your Modem into one of the switch ports then (Not the WAN port) and then the DHCP offerings from the Modem will get redistributed wirelessly.

Alternatively you will have to plug in your modem into the WAN port and receive DHCP off your wireless router with NAT running - I would go with the other way.

What Wifi router do you have anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

It's a Netgear WGR614v7. Will try playing with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It's a Netgear WGR614v7. Will try playing with the setup.
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Brilliant thanks.

Advertisement