Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G4

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

We've all heard of D4 but I've noticed lately G and 4 being put together to make up a new area called G4.
    Where the hell is this supposed to be or does anyone actually refer to themselves as being "from" G4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

I've heard that being used along time ago and recently too.. I believe its Salthill (Dr Mannix Rd, Threadneedle Rd those kinda area's) Taylor's Hill, and the Kingston Rd.. apparently because there's alot wealthy families around there i.e. some well known property developers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

I would have thought G4 applied to da people, not the places,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Maybe they're D4 girls going to college at NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I think it was Charlie McCreevy who famously stated that D4 (or G4) is not a place, but a state of mind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's the accent and the attitude, less of the area. Think of the kind of person who pronounces Barna as Borna.

Most D4 people aren't from Dublin 4 either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The term G4 immediately made me think of, what I would refer to as a Max Factor Lady. Those horrible f@@kwit a$$hole$ that drive around the tiny roads of Taylors Hill, Borna and Knocknocoorra and the like in their 75 K 12 seater SUVs with their 600 euro (still bad) blonde dye jobs, one nasty kid in the back and a pair of poncy sunglasses, ramming everyone else off the road.

D4 is like that aswell ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

I remember Galway First had a shortlived article in ross o'carroll-kelly style on the adventures of a guy from G4.

Rather than definining the area as older established areas such as Taylors Hill and the like, it defined G4 as being a wide arc around Galway city, in the new developments and stand-alone South Forks around Barna, Moycullen, Oranmore-Maree, Clarinbridge etc

The drivel wasnt continued long and was pretty painful to read, but that was the definition from a paper that epitomises the G4 spirit of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why do people think nothing but snobs live on Taylor's Hill? :confused:

Let's face it, you have to be pretty well off to afford a house there!

That doesn't make you snobby though. I think G4s are more of a Knocknacorra phenomenon to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

dafunk wrote: »
    The term G4 immediately made me think of, what I would refer to as a Max Factor Lady. Those horrible f@@kwit a$$hole$ that drive around the tiny roads of Taylors Hill, Borna and Knocknocoorra and the like in their 75 K 12 seater SUVs with their 600 euro (still bad) blonde dye jobs, one nasty kid in the back and a pair of poncy sunglasses, ramming everyone else off the road.

D4 is like that aswell ;)

I encountered a woman like that once on the backroads of Connemara, she almost rammed me off the road. I could tell she was from Dublin though ;)
    JohnCleary wrote: »

Zactly! Poor people live in that area too ;) As someone else pointed out the D4/G4 thing is a state of mind, not a geographical area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

mr biazzi wrote: »
    I would have thought G4 applied to da people, not the places,
    Just cant get over why you said "da people" yet you said "the places".

:boggle:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

DRakE wrote: »
    Just cant get over why you said "da people" yet you said "the places".

:boggle:

It's a G4 way of being hip and street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

JohnCleary wrote: »

hey.. i live on Taylors hill... :eek::eek:

well someone has to bring the place down a notch or two :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

dartsfan wrote: »
    We've all heard of D4 but I've noticed lately G and 4 being put together to make up a new area called G4.
    Where the hell is this supposed to be or does anyone actually refer to themselves as being "from" G4?

I think its more a state of mind. nobody would say they're "from" G4 , but there is still certainly the sterotype.

The affluent generally tend to confrom to a sterotype like any other group, and yeah , G4 is as good a name for them as any .

They exist in Galway , they exist in Dublin , they're just slightly obnoxious , middle/upper middle class people who are usually first generation "money".

Nothing wrong with them as such, but yes , there definitely is a G4 , but its a group of people. If you had to locate it... I'd say Barna and Taylors Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

As far as I know G4 is meant to be the Taylors hill/Salthill area, nothing to do with mindsets or stereotypes or anything. Just a nickname given to the area as it's known for being well off. I'm not sure why it was picked as certain areas of Bushy park/Daingean are much more wealthy but sura, I didn't come up with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mill street is G-force area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think G4s are more of a Knocknacorra phenomenon to be honest.
    I don't think you can call Knocknacarra a snobby area any more. It's over developed and lost it's 'Salthill' snobby status. It's just Knocknatallagh now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Knocknacarra is the new Tallaght :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I haven't heard G4 before.The few times i have heard Salthill and posh in the same sentence have been from chavs that never leave their estates and rednecks that have just moved to the city.I went to primary and secondary school in Salthill and to be perfectly honest there was only one guy i knew of from a well of family and he was from Newcastle.
    I wouldn't consider anyone that is a native of Salthill/Barna or the surrounding areas to be in anyway snobish, you must remember that housing prices in those areas were not always expensive.However many of the newer familys that have moved to these areas believe that because they paid a crazy amount of money for their property that they are superior in some sort of way:rolleyes:Their teen kids usually speak with a californian accent from watching too much mtv.
    Its the mindset NOT the area.

MargeS wrote: »
    I don't think you can call Knocknacarra a snobby area any more. It's over developed and lost it's 'Salthill' snobby status. It's just Knocknatallagh now!

There are areas though you must admit, south of the Clybaun is still a bit like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

There are areas though you must admit, south of the Clybaun is still a bit like that.
    yeah, but they still get to finish their address with Knocknacarra, Galway. :D

I remember when Knocknacarra was an upmarket area, but these days it's just another suburb.

I remember when Knocknacarra was an upmarket area, but these days it's just another suburb.

When was that? From what i remember it was always a middle class area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hey.. i live on Taylors hill... :eek::eek:

well someone has to bring the place down a notch or two :D:D:D

My point is that people consider Taylor's Hill posh/rich

What about the people who've been living there for 25years who bought a house there when it would have been the same price as anywhere else in Galway. Granted they're sitting on a goldmine right now though :D

I love where I live, so central but not busy. It would be a crame for me to get a taxi to town/Salthill. No matter what direction I look everywhere is just walking distance, sweet

Before the 80 estates called "Cnoc na..." "Slí na" were built. Before Joyces and the Clybaun and the town growing out to meet it. It was kinda like Barna is now, a suburb but still countryside.

yeah, but they still get to finish their address with Knocknacarra, Galway. :D

I believe they write Cnoc na Cathrach instead!

Well I can't comment, I used to put Radharc na Mara instead of Mervue on job applications when I was living at home:D

Before the 80 estates called "Cnoc na..." "Slí na" were built. Before Joyces and the Clybaun and the town growing out to meet it. It was kinda like Barna is now, a suburb but still countryside.

Where are you getting "upmarket area" from i really do not know? Before any of those estates went up it was bog, poor rocky land that could barely be farmed.Clybaun Road,Ballymoneen road were nothing but country boureens with the odd small bungalow here and there.I know people that owned land in these areas that sold it for a song because it wasn't worth much then.The area was "never upmarket".

Near the Barna road??

It's still really expensive down there. A 4 bed semi in an estate there went for fecking 750K just before Christmas and it doesn't even have a bay view.

Near the Barna road??

It's still really expensive down there. A 4 bed semi in an estate there went for fecking 750K just before Christmas and it doesn't even have a bay view.

Demand has put that premium on the houses, if people want to pay it thats their own business, its a nice earner for the original owner.I can tell you that the first buyers of houses in some of the first estates that went up Clybaun,Seacrest paid 4-5 times less than what they go for now.Its the same in any area in Galway prices are sky high everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Let's face it, you have to be pretty well off to afford a house there!

That doesn't make you snobby though. I think G4s are more of a Knocknacorra phenomenon to be honest.

Pah, Taylor's Hill is only a stones throw from Shamtalla :D

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, like most places they're still worth much more than their initial price. The estates between the Clybaun and Joyces and the one's at the bottom of the Cappagh Road were the first ones there and even at that time they were comparatively expensive. There was a caché to the Knocknacarra name up until about 15 years ago when they started building estate after estate all the way up those hills. One of my Mam's friend's is rightly peeved with all the development complaining about how her property is being devauled. :p

Sure jeepers, even Doughuisce used to have a bit of a ring to it. Times change. Now, if only Mervue could become "the" place to live in Galway. We'll have to knock "the shops" for a start.

Advertisement