Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Why do people think nothing but snobs live on Taylor's Hill? :confused:

My aunt is a snob and she lives on Taylor's Hill. So there's one for you!

I live in Glen Dara (although my address is conveniently not Glen Dara!) and i am considering becoming a snob/G4 (can I be G4 if I'm from Cork? I think C4 is a car so that wont work!) just to go against the stereotype/grain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

janeybabe wrote: »
    I live in Glen Dara (although my address is conveniently not Glen Dara!) and i am considering becoming a snob/G4 (can I be G4 if I'm from Cork?

Dahling, you live in Rahoon.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Taylor's Hill is in the same Parish as Rahoon.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

padi89 wrote: »
    Where are you getting "upmarket area" from i really do not know? Before any of those estates went up it was bog, poor rocky land that could barely be farmed.Clybaun Road,Ballymoneen road were nothing but country boureens with the odd small bungalow here and there.I know people that owned land in these areas that sold it for a song because it wasn't worth much then.The area was "never upmarket".

Befroe all the development happened in the farming areas, the area that was then Knocknacarra was upmarket. It was bloody expensive to buy out there along the Barna Rd and that area. That's fact!
    My aunt is a snob and she lives on Taylor's Hill. So there's one for you!

I live in Glen Dara (although my address is conveniently not Glen Dara!) and i am considering becoming a snob/G4 (can I be G4 if I'm from Cork? I think C4 is a car so that wont work!) just to go against the stereotype/grain.

C4 is explosive. Might be safer not to use that term.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dahling, you live in Rahoon.

:D

You know what? Means nothing to me! I know I live in Rahoon but what does that mean? Good area? Bad area? Good area with little bit of bad (Glen Dara) area in it?

• Advertisement

You know what? Means nothing to me! I know I live in Rahoon but what does that mean? Good area? Bad area? Good area with little bit of bad (Glen Dara) area in it?

Why is Glen Dara bad these days?

5times wrote: »
    Why is Glen Dara bad these days?

Aha, see I've never believed it was bad, but I've been told by practically everyone that it is. I just presumed that because I'm at the very front of the estate that I miss out on all the badness!

Apart from 7 years old knocking on my window and offering me sex it's not bad at all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Every street, village has a few trumped up snobs , they even develop the Rachel Allen accent:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

galwayrush wrote: »
    Taylor's Hill is in the same Parish as Rahoon.:D
    Where I used to live on Taylor's Hill was part of St Joseph's and the other side of the road were part of Salthill.

In summation, the territorial vagaries of the Catholic church are no basis for a hypothesis.

Robbo wrote: »
    Where I used to live on Taylor's Hill was part of St Joseph's and the other side of the road were part of Salthill.

In summation, the territorial vagaries of the Catholic church are no basis for a hypothesis.

Exactly. We moved 2 minutes down the road from our old house and suddenly my mum wasn't allowed on the parish council or whatever it's called because we were in a different parish! (Same area though, same town!)

Taylor's Hill is huge.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    I haven't heard G4 before.The few times i have heard Salthill and posh in the same sentence have been from chavs that never leave their estates and rednecks that have just moved to the city.I went to primary and secondary school in Salthill and to be perfectly honest there was only one guy i knew of from a well of family and he was from Newcastle.
    I wouldn't consider anyone that is a native of Salthill/Barna or the surrounding areas to be in anyway snobish, you must remember that housing prices in those areas were not always expensive.However many of the newer familys that have moved to these areas believe that because they paid a crazy amount of money for their property that they are superior in some sort of way:rolleyes:Their teen kids usually speak with a californian accent from watching too much mtv.
    Its the mindset NOT the area.

Thats completely true. I lived in Barna for 14 years; when I first moved there all there was was Clarkes shop, Joyces, Donnellys and the 12 Pins. Anytime I go back there, the locals that were there when I was haven't changed, but the rest of Barna has.

Actually, it was pretty strange. Myself and my mother started walking through the estates and we'd stop every so often and think, "wait, this used to be a field where we played".

I would consider G4 to be Taylors Hill/parts of Barna - "millionaires lane". I wouldn't consider Salthill to be "posh" in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

the Rahoon flats were probably before your time of living in Galway... if Taylors hill is G4 then the Rahoon flats would have been 'Ballymun'..

used to live in Rockfield park when the flats were there.. some scary experiences walking past them late at night :eek::eek:

Thats completely true. I lived in Barna for 14 years; when I first moved there all there was was Clarkes shop, Joyces, Donnellys and the 12 Pins. Anytime I go back there, the locals that were there when I was haven't changed, but the rest of Barna has.

Actually, it was pretty strange. Myself and my mother started walking through the estates and we'd stop every so often and think, "wait, this used to be a field where we played".

I would consider G4 to be Taylors Hill/parts of Barna - "millionaires lane". I wouldn't consider Salthill to be "posh" in the slightest.

I'll tell you something lad, having grown up in Westside in the 70's and 80's, Salthill is a "posh" area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

5times wrote: »
    I'll tell you something lad, having grown up in Westside in the 70's and 80's, Salthill is a "posh" area.

Nah, it would have been said more "pash lyke".:D

the Rahoon flats were probably before your time of living in Galway... if Taylors hill is G4 then the Rahoon flats would have been 'Ballymun'..

used to live in Rockfield park when the flats were there.. some scary experiences walking past them late at night :eek::eek:

Ya I've see photos of the flats and heard stories but the way the place is now I feel perfectly safe.

Advertisement