Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice with rental

Options
  • 05-03-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm looking for advice in renting a particular type of car. It's going to be a workhorse, carrying a load of camping gear round the south of france for a fortnight, and probably pulling a trailer full of kayaks too. I need the maximum amount of load space, and a tow bar. At most two people will be in it, and the back seats will be folded down (if they'll go) to accommodate gear. Even better would be a commercial car. Apparently we can't stretch to a full size van, I don't know if it's a licence issue or money issue.
    I'm currently thinking of a Volvo estate, with a 2.0 petrol or 2.5 diesel engine, or if we could get it, something like a commercial Jeep Cherokee.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or could ye recommend a car to try and get for it?
    Any and all advice appreciated.
    Cheers, WP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€20k van rental should be cheaper than hiring out a €50k volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wanna buy a 1990 5-door hatchback Toyota Carina II 2.0Gli Auto? Towbar fitted (only ever towed a small trailer, so gearbox is fine). It has done about 144K miles, timing belt changed at 134K miles; gearbox oil and filter changed at 139K miles. CD player, good heater, tyres, electric windows, clean interior etc.

I'll buy it back from you if you bring it back in one piece and still driving OK!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭buachaillbeoir

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    I'm looking for advice in renting a particular type of car. It's going to be a workhorse, carrying a load of camping gear round the south of france for a fortnight, and probably pulling a trailer full of kayaks too. I need the maximum amount of load space, and a tow bar. At most two people will be in it, and the back seats will be folded down (if they'll go) to accommodate gear. Even better would be a commercial car. Apparently we can't stretch to a full size van, I don't know if it's a licence issue or money issue.
    I'm currently thinking of a Volvo estate, with a 2.0 petrol or 2.5 diesel engine, or if we could get it, something like a commercial Jeep Cherokee.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or could ye recommend a car to try and get for it?
    Any and all advice appreciated.
    Cheers, WP

Went on a similar holiday in france 2 years ago, we hired a ford galaxy and it was amazing!!!! its a 7 seater aswell so there was loads of room. the great thing about it though was the fact we could actually take out any seats we wanted(easy quick release) and store them elsewhere or just fold them down! it was so comfortable aswell the long drive over seemed a treat!
    HTH

Advertisement