Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Forward Ports

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hello I am living in a block of student flats and am trying to forward a port.

I can get into the routers page and have followed the instructios from portforwarding.com

I already have a static ip and it is something like
    87.192.2x0.2xx.
    the problem is for the last bit the option for ip addresses is in the form
    192.168.5.xxx
    am i missing something, how exactly do i get my ip address in this form? thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ok after reading more I think I can just not figure out my internal ip address is there anyway to do this?

is there any other cool thing I could do now i am in the router settings page?
    any way of speeding up my conection for example,
    the router setup is split by about 150 people i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Go to the run command and type, cmd then ipconfig you should forward the port you need to the IP listed there, it should be in the 192.168 format or something similar.

yeah the problem is it is not in the 192.168.5 format its in the format of my external address.
    I have done ipconfig/all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

What type of modem, and what make and model? Is it cable or wireless? Mine is cable, I have a static ip in the form 24.x.x.x. I didn't need to forward the ports.

its a linksys rvo82 router
    and its cable.
    we each have a static ip address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you been in your routers control panel ? type 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.100.1 ( i think ) into your web browser. There you should have to nter a username and password. Which should be root/root or admin/admin ( not 100% sure though ) Might be a better idea to move this to the networking forum.

-snip

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

lol!

I would take that post down if i were you. it just let me log in :D

oh jesus sorry, what could you log into?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

http://portforward.com/ will give you a good step-by-step guid for all your port forwarding needs.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    http://portforward.com/ will give you a good step-by-step guid for all your port forwarding needs.

yes i was using that until i came to the problem of needing an ip address in the form :192.168.5.xxx

thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

oh jesus sorry, what could you log into?

You just gave us your ip and password and login for yoru router. If someone wanted to they could have locked your out of the router and done a load of nasty things to you. Be very wary what info you give out, even on a place like this there are some scumbags that would get a kick out of messing you about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Anti wrote: »
    You just gave us your ip and password and login for yoru router. If someone wanted to they could have locked your out of the router and done a load of nasty things to you. Be very wary what info you give out, even on a place like this there are some scumbags that would get a kick out of messing you about.
    What's worse its not his router - Its a router belong to a student block:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055249231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Locked for the same reason as the other thread....s/he appears to be playing with a router that isn't theirs and they also went and posted the IP address of the router in the other thread posted here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement