Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators not heating.

Options
  • 05-03-2008 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,
    I'm having major problems with my heating. Firstly let me mention my heating is supplied from a Gerkros Wood Pellet boiler. Also all the rads in the houlse are on two seperate "zones"; upstairs and downstairs. Each of these zones can be shut off independently of each other from the hotpress.
    In one particular room in the house there is quite a large double rad (~1.6meters in length) which will not stay warm. I had a plumber out to look at it and each time he called he would leave with the rad heating normally (by balancing them) but after a month or so it would go back to the way it was; luke warm at best. Also when I turn the upstairs heating on the rads downstairs would loose a certain amount of heat (to compensate I suppose). How can I fix these problems baring in mind i did bleed all the rads in the house. Is the problem the plumbing or is it the wood pellet boiler?
    Please help,
    Jack D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi...
    Would I be right in saying that you can heat either zone but not both ??
    If so I'd question if your heating unit is producing enough BTU's to heat the entire system...
    In my limited knowledge the balancing should only need to be done if there is a change in the heating system set-up...

Must admit that this is what steered me away from pellets, too many stories of poor heat output if the pellets are not just perfect...

Get a second opinion..

Cheers
    bam

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

Had a similar problem with the biggest rad upstairs - 1800mm. Not wood pellet but OFCH with 2 zones. Initially plumber could not fix but then he didn't give it a lot of time.

Its a closed loop system - 2nd plumber found the pressure was only at .75 bar. Not great water pressure locally but he got it up to over 1 bar. Rad now heats - not great if 2 zones on but fine if only one. He also had to re-balance - 1st plumber had not done this right.

Should see the pressure on gauge in hot press under red tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Duplicate post - sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How can I fix these problems baring in mind i did bleed all the rads in the house.

If you have a sealed system and have bled all the rads - have you topped up the system after bleeding?. Check the pressure gauge, it should read about 1 bar when the system is cold. If it reads less then you need to top it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rathlynin

Hi All,
    I'm having major problems with my heating. Firstly let me mention my heating is supplied from a Gerkros Wood Pellet boiler. Also all the rads in the houlse are on two seperate "zones"; upstairs and downstairs. Each of these zones can be shut off independently of each other from the hotpress.
    In one particular room in the house there is quite a large double rad (~1.6meters in length) which will not stay warm. I had a plumber out to look at it and each time he called he would leave with the rad heating normally (by balancing them) but after a month or so it would go back to the way it was; luke warm at best. Also when I turn the upstairs heating on the rads downstairs would loose a certain amount of heat (to compensate I suppose). How can I fix these problems baring in mind i did bleed all the rads in the house. Is the problem the plumbing or is it the wood pellet boiler?
    Please help,
    Jack D.

Would definitely say you need to check plumbing, pressure etc etc...the boilers job is to create hot water to around 70 deg after that its up to your plumbing system.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Could be the circulating pump on the boiler.
    If its not working properly, the hot water 'stays' at the boiler end and so the boiler thinks it has got to its temperature set point and switches off.

In this case the pump may be working at reduced efficiency and so can only service one zone or the other but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jbg

Hi All,
    Please help,
    Jack D.

Hi there
    Did you get this sorted yet? We have just installed a new Gerkros wood pellet boiler and are having similar problems!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jack Duckworth

Sort of got it fixed, My plumber tells me it nothing to do with the boiler. He says its to do with the fact that its such a large rad and its the furthest away from the Hot Press thats the problem. To fix it he said to turn off all the other rads bar the one thats not heating and maybe one other one in the house for about 20 minutes and it should then heat up and then put all the others back on and they should all stay hot. I did this and it worked.

Regards,
    JD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Sort of got it fixed, My plumber tells me it nothing to do with the boiler. He says its to do with the fact that its such a large rad and its the furthest away from the Hot Press thats the problem. To fix it he said to turn off all the other rads bar the one thats not heating and maybe one other one in the house for about 20 minutes and it should then heat up and then put all the others back on and they should all stay hot. I did this and it worked.

Regards,
    JD

If that's the case, it's just bad layout design. I presume that he checked that the pump is at full speed. Re-piping some of the system, or putting in another pump somewhere should sort it.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TopMan

If the boiler is up to temperature and the rads are luke warm then the problem is in the balancing or bleeding of the plumbing system. check for air locks in the system and the pump.

Advertisement