Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing wall in Galway area

Options
  • 02-03-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for some climbing wall in Galway area. I heard that there is one at University but not sure..

Can anybody help me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

As far as I know there are two, one in Oranmore

http://www.citylimits.ie/zero-limits.html

and one in the university.

I haven't been there yet but as far as I know it's for students only unless you're a member of a climbing club.

Does anyone know anymore about this? I'd like to get back into climbing aswell. Can joe bloggs use the climbing wall in NUI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Climbing wall in NUIG is 80 euro/year for non-students, and you have to get safety checked by one of the student instructors. It's easy enough if you've climbed before - I just got my safety card last week, and I'm not a student by any means. I don't know that they have lessons available for non-students though, so I'm not sure how it works if you haven't climbed before and want to start.

Cool, cheers for the info TristanC. Can you go at anytime of the day or just evenings or what? With this 80 quid a year do they provide equipment? I have shoes but no harness or ropes, is all that stuff available? I have climbed before so I wouldn't be interested in lessons, once you've got the basics you just nned practice and a decent beelayer on the ground who can advise you on where to put your foot next when you get into a pickle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Thanks for info ppl.

I found a website of Galway Mountaineering Club http://student.nuigalway.ie/~mountaineering/

It says that the fee is €7 per session and €80 for a yearly membership.

In order to start climbing at the climbing wall, all you will need to take is some loose fitting clothing (T-shirt and tracksuit bottoms are ideal), suitable footwear (trainers), a drink, and the club will supply beginners with the other things they need, such as belay devices and harnesses.

If you are going outside then some warm clothes are essential (especially in Ireland) as it can get quite cold and windy.

dafunk wrote: »
    Cool, cheers for the info TristanC. Can you go at anytime of the day or just evenings or what? With this 80 quid a year do they provide equipment? I have shoes but no harness or ropes, is all that stuff available? I have climbed before so I wouldn't be interested in lessons, once you've got the basics you just nned practice and a decent beelayer on the ground who can advise you on where to put your foot next when you get into a pickle!

I dunno I have harness with me. They bring out harnesses just for the tues/thurs student nights, and I think that's just for the students. The top ropes are def all there already. You can just boulder as well.

• Advertisement

Right. I don't have a harness so I guess I should go to the "student" night!

I called these guys, they said the first time you come you need to do the safety course, it's on wednesdays 7 - 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

The City Limits one looks like it geared towards kids and certainly limited

dafunk wrote: »
    I called these guys, they said the first time you come you need to do the safety course, it's on wednesdays 7 - 9.

Ah. When I went, I was told Wednesday, but no specific time. I showed up at 8, didn't see any instructors, bouldered a bit, and then came back the next day and bugged one of the student instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

MattKid wrote: »
    The City Limits one looks like it geared towards kids and certainly limited
    I think it's for everyone. It says that here is a minimum height restriction on both the Go-Karting & Air Park of 1.5meter..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I know there is also one in Galway Community College, heard it from a teacher friend of mine. Not sure do they let non-students use it but worth a call.

Advertisement