Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of old git gamers

Options
  • 05-03-2008 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Reading posts on boards.ie has made me realise there must be a large spread of gamer ages. The older guys rant at the younger guys and vice versa, /me puts hand up.

So in the interest of science, lets see what the spread really is.

What age are our gamers 179 votes

Under 20
    0% 0 votes
    21 - 25
    5% 10 votes
    26 - 30
    37% 68 votes
    31 - 35
    27% 49 votes
    36 - 40
    18% 34 votes
    40+
    10% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mental or physical age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I r 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am the one and only..........so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm 21, but i rant like a 40 year old.

i don't get time to play games as much as i did before i had a job and college.

i kind of feel old for playing certain games tbh like mario etc. but then again i think how fiendishly difficult some of these games are and think "how the hell does a 3+ year old complete this"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

jonski wrote: »

I'm catching up on you there Jonners, we discussed this already.

Oh wait, I'm not a guy, it doesn't count. Hurrah! I withhold my answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I R not too far behind you.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm 35 and three quarters. Gamers these days have it easy - wide world internet tubing, playterminals, XPacks and that other toilet one. Back in my day, you had to wait 20 minutes to load a game on a tape. None of your re-mapping keys either let me tell you. Broke 10 joysticks on those Decathlon games so I did. 3.5k ram but did we ever complain? Only had F1-F5 so we did, none of yer fancy num lock keys. Kids these days don't know what its like to type in your own game from a magazine in BASIC. oh dear, not again....

/wets self and calls for nursie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I'm wise beyond my years. I knows to put discs in data side down now. And that the wireless isn't just a hulking wooden behemoth spurting out Gay Byrne in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So this forum isn't populated by 13-yr old boys? Who knew? :D
    .......I wonder how different the Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft forum make-up is...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just turned 25 recently. It scares me that when I meet some of the boards regular they always say that they expected a 12 year old boy with a mario t-shirt and not a fine hunky specimen of a man :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it also freaks me out a little when people on here do their top games of all time and include halo on it and yet omit any other fps that preceed halo and bettered it in terms of story and gameplay.

*halo is just an example, people know my story on xbox and halo so let's not turn the rest of the thread into a bitch fight

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'm catching up on you there Jonners, we discussed this already.

Liar , I met you , you are only 21 .

I R not too far behind you.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better , but it didn't work , now go back to playing with your lego child ! btw , if I end up being the only one clicking that button then I am coming looking for you as I feel it was a trap setup by all the boardsies ...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

From the poll, apparently yo can't be "retro" if you are under 20. :)

28 here, gaming started with the c64.

LOAD, DAMMIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

SDooM wrote: »
    gaming started with the c64.

LOAD, DAMMIT

ah the difference between then and now , loading up a game now and wife calls me for dinner ..ah ffs . loading up a game back then and get called for dinner ..nice one , is there dessert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does beginning gaming with Space Invaders, Breakout and Pong count ?

Why isn't Defender in the all time great Shoot-em-ups ?

Anyone else remember the sit-down tables of Asteroids ?

And as for home gaming, give me Jet Set Willy or Atic Atac

Where's me VIC-20 , or even a ZX-80

Or a BBC Micro learning to play Elite and thinking Yee Ha

But I'm 39

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm 35 and three quarters. Gamers these days have it easy - wide world internet tubing, playterminals, XPacks and that other toilet one. Back in my day, you had to wait 20 minutes to load a game on a tape. None of your re-mapping keys either let me tell you. Broke 10 joysticks on those Decathlon games so I did. 3.5k ram but did we ever complain? Only had F1-F5 so we did, none of yer fancy num lock keys. Kids these days don't know what its like to type in your own game from a magazine in BASIC. oh dear, not again....

/wets self and calls for nursie
    :D I'm 29. Started gaming on the C-64 (which went from F1-F8 and also contained unusual keys like Restore and Run-Stop). I don't have as much time for gaming these days as I used to but when I do have the time I find myself replaying a lot of old classics rather than newer games. I find the MAME and various C64 emulators to be a great nostalgia trip. Not having to wait 20 mins for a game to load is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Im 26 , Started with a vectrex and have kept every console since.... The backroom in my house is full of storage boxes full of consoles and their games . I will never part with them. My great granchildren will be given a play of them while i stand back and say " See this is much better than your Playstation 4293 or your Xbox 1080*2x6 ,none of your fancy VR helmets or that nonsense!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm 30 in April which tbh, frightens me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Damn, being 25 I thought I was a bit old for this gaming stuff. Dont feel so bad now. Glad to see there are alot more the same ages wasting their time appropriately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

It seems that the under 20s are too busy playing their precious computer games to bother with this poll. :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ah the difference between then and now , loading up a game now and wife calls me for dinner ..ah ffs . loading up a game back then and get called for dinner ..nice one , is there dessert ?

Oh yeah, anything to get away from the sodding load screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

trellheim wrote: »
    Does beginning gaming with Space Invaders, Breakout and Pong count ?

Why isn't Defender in the all time great Shoot-em-ups ?

Anyone else remember the sit-down tables of Asteroids ?

And as for home gaming, give me Jet Set Willy or Atic Atac

Where's me VIC-20 , or even a ZX-80

Or a BBC Micro learning to play Elite and thinking Yee Ha

But I'm 39

Snap likewise. Exact same introduction but we'd the ZX81 lol. Chuckie Egg ftw!
    It was our generation where it all started to happen I suppose and I for one have no intention of stopping just yet, old git or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

My reasons for posting this was to see if there where enough gamers to form an old gits gaming group, especially to play the older multiplayer games. It seems there may well be enough of us. Lets see how many more turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Was told i at christmas i was a big child when i was handed my PS3. I should start growing up NEVER!! Atari, sega mastersystem, NES, atari ste (it was an e cause it had 1MB of ram ohhhhh), megadrive, megacd, gameboy, PC, playstation, PS2, PSP, now a PS3.!!! All great fun and all retro ones thrown into a skip while my back was turned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

23/m/ wanna cybar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

started with C64, then went on to have a Atari 2600, Atari 520ST (didn't have the 1mb version :( ), NES, Mastersystem, MegaDrive, SNES, MegaCD, Atari Jaguar, then onto playstation, N64, Xbox, DreamCast, Ps2, GameCube, Xbox 360 and now a Wii

Oh I'm 26 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

C-64s users are futurists [ at least I still think so ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Turned 34 just last week! With 3 kids, job, mortgage and another adult in my life I dont get that much time to play games these days!!! Although my wife would disagree! Still have an atari 2600 in the attic as well as one of those old Binatone systems with pong on it! Games seem to be everywhere these days.
    Ouch .. all this typing in hurting my arthritis.

Advertisement